"I Carry A Badge" Leather Concealed Weapon Permit Holder

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

"I Carry A Badge" Leather Concealed Weapon Permit Holder

Post by Abraham »

Sportsmans Guide catalog is selling this dubious item: A leather folder style wallet: One side holds your "Concealed Weapon Permit" BADGE and the other holds your (in Texas) CHL.

The market verbiage states: Get this official, law-abiding folding Permit Holder especially if you are packing concealed heat. (oh brother...) It's quick identification and LOOKS IMPRESSIVE!

Some of their other sale items come with copy using words like "Ops".

"Ops", huh?

How does this questionable abbreviation fit into the life of the sportsman or is this publication targeting laughable soldier of fortune wannabe's?

There must be a market for these items, but I don't know anyone being enough of a goober to buy one.

Do you?

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Re: "I Carry A Badge" Leather Concealed Weapon Permit Holder

Post by joe817 »

Nope, not me. That's another stupid product that has no place in the realm of CHL's. For LEO's...yes of course. But not for us.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Purplehood »

I haven't seen an issue of Soldier of Fortune magazine since I was much younger, but I presume that ads just like this one still adorn its hallowed pages.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

I would hope displaying such an I.D. carrier to an LEO might raise his eyebrows and motivate a search for illegal "law enforcement only" items in said goobers possession - cuz if he's asinine enough to carry such an I.D. what else might he be capable of carrying?

Yeah, I know that's a stretch...

More likely, any LEO coming across such a ludicrous I.D. setup would probably only elicit howls of laughter from him!

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Teamless »

The wallet that I use, has a pull out ID holder (clear laminate over it), and has room for 2 ID's, so I keep my CHL on 1 side and my TDL on the other side.
If i have to remove my TDL (for other than LEO), I can slide 1 out, without showing the other. Or if I do happen to be requested for ID by a LEO, I can pull the entire holder out, so it will show both, as I am removing each from the wallet.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

phrogg

Post by phrogg »

Actually those CHL badges were on sale at one booth at the High Caliber show in Houston this past weekend. I walked right on past while remarking proceeding to make glorious fun of the idea and anyone who actually purchased one. But I assume that if they bring them out to the show, they likely do so because they have sold some before. There's one born every minute...but its scary to know that that sucker also has a CHL! :shock:
----
Welcome to Texas. If you ain't packin, you are slackin!

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:More likely, any LEO coming across such a ludicrous I.D. setup would probably only elicit howls of laughter from him!
I don't think that most LEOs would think it was a bit funny.
NRA Endowment Member

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

"rlol" :smilelol5: "rlol" :smilelol5:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

dubya

Post by dubya »

There is nothing badge oriented about this but, at night, when walking my dog, I do not carry my billfold but to meet the requirement to carry our TXCHL license and DL I use an ID carrier on a lanyard sometimes. My concern would be dropping loose IDs somewhere in the dark. Not sure what sportsmans guide is selling but an ID case, on a lanyard or not, has realistic use.

I won't start on the badges :shock:
JW, Sons of the Republic of Texas
NRA, TSRA

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

Soldier of Fortune!!! Thanks for the trip in the wayback machine. Years ago my career plan was to grow up and place a "mercenary for hire" classified in that magazine.

Sure wish I had sent off for one of those gold plated, John Wayne commemorative Thomson machine gun non-working replicas!

I had some friends that were going to become part of my company of mercenaries. We were sitting in the clubhouse working out our secret codes and what not when one of the gang member's older brother stuck his head in and demanded to know what we were planning. We told him we were going to go to South America to work as mercenaries. He shook his head and said, "How are you going to teach anyone there about the Bible when you don't even speak Spanish?" :tiphat:

Oh, and I agree that an ID holder on a rope could be useful under the right circumstances.
Last edited by mctowalot on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

I would never carry a silly "CHL Badge"...talk about ridiculous.

I do, however, tote my driver's license, CHL, medical card, and one credit card in this: http://www.thejimi.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I _love_ my Jimi wallet :cool:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Embalmo
Posts in topic: 20

Post by Embalmo »

Though people always balk around here at the idea of a CHL badge, I think there are places where IDEALLY (focus on the word ideally) concealed shouldn't always mean concealed. If I had to walk in a scary area to my car, I wouldn't be opposed to a shirt, hat, badge, sash that indicates, "Warning CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT CARRIER," which might eliminate the need for me to react in the first place to an attack. I would love for my wife to be able to have CHL written all over her clothing.

I believe that the reason that we cannot do this is because of the fear and ignorance of the left, general public, LEO, (and don't give me grief over LEO because CHLs can/do get arrested from LEOs who've never heard of a CHL or a 30.06 sign [they do exists]) and antis in general. It is sad that I have to keep something that is perfectly legal a secret to avoid scrutiny, when getting the word out might save me and my family from attacks.

Embalmo
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

It's one answer to the IFF problem. Not my answer but hey.

Embalmo
Posts in topic: 20

Post by Embalmo »

IFF problem
:headscratch

What does "IFF" stand for in the context of this thread?
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

Identify Friend or Foe (I think)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”