13%
Nope, do not bother
87%

Total votes: 39

jeeperbryan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun cleaning as business

Post by jeeperbryan »

WildBill wrote:I just thought of a brilliant idea. How about starting a gun cleaning school. Students would pay to have you teach them how to clean guns. You could get them to pay you to clean your guns. :lol:
Why would someone pay you to learn something they can watch a youtube video on??? Seriously, I think you can learn to do anything on youtube.

RECIT
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RECIT »

jeeperbryan wrote:
WildBill wrote:I just thought of a brilliant idea. How about starting a gun cleaning school. Students would pay to have you teach them how to clean guns. You could get them to pay you to clean your guns. :lol:
Why would someone pay you to learn something they can watch a youtube video on??? Seriously, I think you can learn to do anything on youtube.
The question is the same, why would people pay someone to teach them something they can read a book and learn. Its easier to learn when taught by a professional teacher. People pay others to perform tasks all the time that they can't do, don't have time for, aren't educated enough about the subject, or just plain too lazy to do themselves.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

CainA
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CainA »

...or don't want to take the risk to do themselves(climbing a tree with a chainsaw in tow comes to mind)-no thanks.

-Cain

terryg

Post by terryg »

Purplehood wrote:I hated cleaning my weapon in the Marines.
Yeah, I hated it too. But for me, I think it was because I hated cleaning to someone else's arbitrary standards. When I am cleaning my own gun, it's clean when I say it's clean - and that's good enough for me. :thumbs2: So I actually enjoy it.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

RECIT
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RECIT »

CainA wrote:...or don't want to take the risk to do themselves(climbing a tree with a chainsaw in tow comes to mind)-no thanks.

-Cain
:iagree:
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

terryg wrote:
Purplehood wrote:I hated cleaning my weapon in the Marines.
Yeah, I hated it too. But for me, I think it was because I hated cleaning to someone else's arbitrary standards. When I am cleaning my own gun, it's clean when I say it's clean - and that's good enough for me. :thumbs2: So I actually enjoy it.
:iagree:

I'm with TerryG. I absolutely HATED cleaning my weapon in the Army. The Armorer got to play closet Nazi and abuse his power, or so it seemed. Also, I wasn't actually cleaning MY weapon. The only time I had a specific weapon assigned on a long term basis was in Desert Storm, and I didn't mind cleaning that one (partly because I knew I might need to trust my life to it).

Now that I have my own personal weapons, and I also may need to trust my life to them, I actually enjoy breaking them down and cleaning them. I clean my Glocks (and all other weapons) after every range session regardless of how many rounds I have fired through them. I would never trust someone else to clean one of my guns, or even to reassemble it for that matter.

shipwreck

Post by shipwreck »

KinnyLee wrote:I may have OCD, but I would not let anyone clean my firearms. I would have to really really trust you to do that. Beside, it's something I can do myself, and I'm cheap. lol I think it's like trusting someone to work on your car. I like to do the work myself if I have the means.
Yes, I do not trust anyone else to clean mine either.

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

The local range I go to (Memorial Shooting Center) offers to clean weapons while you wait. It's pretty pricey. $30 for handguns, and $40 for rifles. Not sure whether they actually get any takers at those rates.

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

I also, hated cleaning my weapon in the Army.

Currently, I clean my wife's pistol when we return from shooting. I wonder if I can get her to pay me? :mrgreen:

While there are times I wish someone else would do the cleaning, I am too thrifty (cheap) to pay for this on a regular basis.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

QB

Post by QB »

Unfortunately I don't trust anyone else with my guns, especially just to clean them. If they get screwed up then I'd better be the one that did it. :D

Anyway, I love messing with my guns, cleaning them, etc. Somehow it relaxes me, takes my mind off of the daily stressors.

I had a really stressful discussion with my mother, 1st cousin and sister yesterday and was all worked up. So earlier today I spent some time loading nearly 600 rounds of ammo in mags for my AR15, PS90, Five Seven, PC9, etc. I tell ya, I'm ready for the zombies, that's for sure!!! It was the most relaxing day I've had for a long time. Only thing better would have been going to the range to empty all those mags.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

texjames

Post by texjames »

karder wrote:I tend to think that most gun folks actually enjoy cleaning their guns. The process of handling and breaking down the guns after shooting is part of the fun in an odd way. Personally, I think that for it to be viable, it would have to be supported by some level of gunsmith or customizing work. Don't take my opinion too seriously though, I thought texting was a ridiculous concept when I first heard of that. If you think you have some customers, go for it.
Yeah i still don't understand texting craze....imagine Alexander Gram Bell...redo on history.
He hooks up a typewriter to some wires and types in "can you hear me?"...(other end) Types in reply..."No"...
People....TALK on your phones :confused5

Oh back on topic...big no on that gun cleaning business. :tiphat:
USAF 71-91 retired
CHL #3 04/10

shadowwalker

Post by shadowwalker »

Maybe it is the military background or just the tinkerer in me, but I think cleaning your guns is part of the responsibility of ownership of them. When you are cleaning them you can spot potential problems that could arise when you really need it to work spot on every time. Kinda heading Murphy off before he gets ya. :lol:

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

shadowwalker wrote:Maybe it is the military background or just the tinkerer in me, but I think cleaning your guns is part of the responsibility of ownership of them. When you are cleaning them you can spot potential problems that could arise when you really need it to work spot on every time. Kinda heading Murphy off before he gets ya. :lol:
Logical. :thumbs2:
Reminded me when I went to WalMart last Summer and found a flyer on my windshield "HOUSE CLEANING BY APRIL"
but I thought, heck, I can probably do it myself by March ... I started yesterday. :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”