1911 question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
firefighter3217
Posts in topic: 3

1911 question

Post by firefighter3217 »

So, I just go through shooting my new (used) Springfield V-10, and first off, that thing is sweet, and LOUD! Makes my Llama sound quiet.

In any case, I experienced something I haven't seen before, and I'm seeking some help. Now, I realize that the weapon will most likely end up at a gunsmith, or maybe I'm too nervous about this, BUT...

If I use a normal sized 1911 magazine rather than the officer size, the magazine will on occasion go PAST the normal stopping point. This causes the first bullet in the mag to stick up at a rather extreme angle, and the slide will not run home. Further, once it goes past the normal stop point, you can pull it back down until you feel a slight 'click', but then it allows you to pull it past that point and all the way out of the weapon.

So far I have only found this to happen with one of my magazines, but I'm kind of concerned that this could be more than a magazine problem... Never run into a magazine catch not catching before...
about 65 days to plastic...
Carry guns:
Springfield V-10 3.5" 1911(thanks again, Texasvet)
Glock 26
Springfield XD40 4"
Llama 1911 (hey, don't knock it. Never had a SINGLE reliability problem with it. Over 1000 rounds through it.)
(lots of long guns, and a few other pistols for other use)

b322da
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 1911 question

Post by b322da »

Replacing the magazine catch is a possibility, and they are not the most expensive part of a 1911, but the trouble could be something else. Does this happen with every magazine used, or just one? If just one, it might be the magazine itself. I have also seen this happen occasionally when the shooter slams a magazine into the 1911 using unnecessary force -- a simple matter of momentum.

Elmo

Topic author
firefighter3217

b322da wrote:Replacing the magazine catch is a possibility, and they are not the most expensive part of a 1911, but the trouble could be something else. Does this happen with every magazine used, or just one? If just one, it might be the magazine itself. I have also seen this happen occasionally when the shooter slams a magazine into the 1911 using unnecessary force -- a simple matter of momentum.

Elmo
So far, I've only identified it with one magazine. I wasn't inserting with any more force than a normal quick-ish reload (ie: took about 2 seconds from table to inserted). I had some feed problems with some of the others, but I've got some more ideas for the other feed problems... I guess a detail cleaning wouldn't hurt as well :mrgreen:

As a sidenote, in your opinion (you meaning anybody here), is a Wilson or Ed Brown mag catch worth the price as opposed to a factory one? I know some parts definitely are, but I'm trying to weigh the cost/benefit ratio here...

Thanks all!!
Carry guns:
Glock 26
Springfield XD40 4"
Llama 1911 (hey, don't knock it. Never had a SINGLE reliability problem with it. Over 1000 rounds through it.)

b322da
Posts in topic: 2

Post by b322da »

firefighter3217 wrote: So far, I've only identified it with one magazine. I wasn't inserting with any more force than a normal quick-ish reload (ie: took about 2 seconds from table to inserted). I had some feed problems with some of the others, but I've got some more ideas for the other feed problems... I guess a detail cleaning wouldn't hurt as well :mrgreen:
After that "good cleaning," if the problem recurs with that magazine you might consider replacing it. You can get recommendations galore here as to magazines. As a matter of reliability, function and personal choice I use Wilson Combat mags on both my "little" 1911s and my "big" ones. Never a burp, and my "real" Colt M1911, which I have fired thousands of times in the 50 years I have owned it, has never needed a new magazine catch. For all I know the magazine catch in it may be the same 95 years old as the rest of the weapon.

Elmo

Topic author
firefighter3217

b322da wrote:
firefighter3217 wrote: So far, I've only identified it with one magazine. I wasn't inserting with any more force than a normal quick-ish reload (ie: took about 2 seconds from table to inserted). I had some feed problems with some of the others, but I've got some more ideas for the other feed problems... I guess a detail cleaning wouldn't hurt as well :mrgreen:
After that "good cleaning," if the problem recurs with that magazine you might consider replacing it. You can get recommendations galore here as to magazines. As a matter of reliability, function and personal choice I use Wilson Combat mags on both my "little" 1911s and my "big" ones. Never a burp, and my "real" Colt M1911, which I have fired thousands of times in the 50 years I have owned it, has never needed a new magazine catch. For all I know the magazine catch in it may be the same 95 years old as the rest of the weapon.

Elmo
hmmm... Well, I just looked again at the trouble mag and the rest... The 2 officer sized ones are Kimber and Wilson, the non-failing full size mag is Colt, and the failing mag is... Well, it's not marked, so I have no idea. So I'm thinking it is most likely magazine, but I'd sure hate to lose a mag one day, so I may just replace the catch. Do you happen to know if the mag catch is the same one in a full frame as an officer size? I would imagine it is, but I'd sure hate to be wrong...

Also, I just looked over a video a friend of mine took while we were shooting, and the misfeed thing seems non-mag-related. It seems on a vast majority of misfeeds, the slide didn't quite go all the way back. Some of the time it would partially chamber a round, but required a tap on the rear of the slide to get it to go the last few mm into battery. So for the latter problem, the solution seems to be a stiffer recoil spring. For the former, a lighter one. (if I'm understanding and remembering everything right...) Any thoughts? I will say that the problem was reduced if I had an absolute death grip and super tensed arms on it, but I don't think that it's reasonable to shoot that tense. I mean, no limp-wristing allowed, but there should be a happy medium. (like the normal way I shoot the Llama, the XD, the glock, etc...)

Something just in, I hear that +P really helps this weapon (as it's ported), but I was shooting WWB FMJ out of it.. next time I'm shooting I'll try some +P's just to see, but as of right now, I'm having an average of 2 failures to feed per magazine. Maximum was 5... I shot 100 rounds today out of 4 different magazines... Minimum failure rate was 0 failures per mag. That said, until that's all fixed, It's in the safe and the G26 will be my EDC...
Carry guns:
Glock 26
Springfield XD40 4"

TWL1972
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TWL1972 »

Might want to be careful aggressively inserting a full size mag in a compact 1911. I broke the ejector on my Ultra Carry a couple of years ago by slamming home a full size mag.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G26ster »

I use only Wilson Combat mags on my V10 and have never had an issue. I don't shoot +P as SA does not recommend it in their 1911s shorter than 5". My guess is that the oversize mag is simply going in too far due to its design or wear, if the other oversize mag works well. Be careful with them though, as others have pointed out that too much pressure inserting them may damage the gun.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”