Pictures Of Your Daily Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Pictures Of Your Daily Carry

Post by Excaliber »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:There is a general consensus that anything less than a 5" barrel on a 1911 compromises reliability. The shorter the barrel the greater the compromise. The custom pistolsmith who has been building and modifying my 1911s for 30 years strongly agrees, as do I. I carry a 5" 1911 about 95% of the time and a Colt Commander the other 5%. Except in limited circumstances, it's not much more difficult to carry a 4 1/4" or 5" gun than a 3" subcompact 1911.

All that said, my wife has carried and shot her Kimber Ultra Carry (3" 1911; .45ACP) for many years and it is reliable. I've seen 3" 1911s function flawlessly in CHL classes as well as other classes and even in the PSC IDPA BUG match. I am convinced that the shorter 1911s require more diligent cleaning, maintenance, and spring replacement than do 5" guns, but that's part of the price one pays for carrying a smaller lighter pistol.

My wife's 3" 1911 has malfunctioned, as have every single semi-auto I own. I've seen 3" 1911s malfunction in classes, along with guns made by Glock, SIG, S&W (M&P), Beretta, Colt, Springfield, Bersa and Walther, as well as any other manufacturer I've left out. I've seen far more malfunctions with micro .32s than all others combined.

I do not believe a 3" 1911 is the gun for a 1911 novice, nor do I believe they deserve Mr. Pincus' broad-brush condemnation.

Chas.
I agree on all points.

I have carried 1911's in all 3 configurations for many years. None of mine are custom guns, and none have received the custom pistolsmith treatment. They've all got some improved parts and a little polishing here and there, but nothing exotic or expensive.

There is no doubt that the 5" versions are the most reliable.

The shorter versions are definitely much more sensitive to on time spring changes and proper cleaning and lubrication. This is not a problem if one pays attention to these things and knows how to do them right. I wouldn't carry a gun that was finicky and prone to failure, but I also don't pick my guns by how much abuse I can give them before they fail because I don't abuse them by neglecting cleaning and lubrication so it doesn't much matter.

That being said, I have no hesitation about carrying a 3" Ultra Carry that has proven itself extremely reliable over the years with around 7,000 rounds through it. It's much easier to conceal under summer clothing and it does everything I need it to do whenever I need it.

I respect Mr. Pincus and think he has much to say that is worth listening to. In this case, I just have to say that his conclusions on the 1911 may not apply to all such guns, because they don't describe my experience with mine.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Pecos
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Pecos »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:There is a general consensus that anything less than a 5" barrel on a 1911 compromises reliability. The shorter the barrel the greater the compromise. The custom pistolsmith who has been building and modifying my 1911s for 30 years strongly agrees, as do I. I carry a 5" 1911 about 95% of the time and a Colt Commander the other 5%. Except in limited circumstances, it's not much more difficult to carry a 4 1/4" or 5" gun than a 3" subcompact 1911.

All that said, my wife has carried and shot her Kimber Ultra Carry (3" 1911; .45ACP) for many years and it is reliable. I've seen 3" 1911s function flawlessly in CHL classes as well as other classes and even in the PSC IDPA BUG match. I am convinced that the shorter 1911s require more diligent cleaning, maintenance, and spring replacement than do 5" guns, but that's part of the price one pays for carrying a smaller lighter pistol.

My wife's 3" 1911 has malfunctioned, as have every single semi-auto I own. I've seen 3" 1911s malfunction in classes, along with guns made by Glock, SIG, S&W (M&P), Beretta, Colt, Springfield, Bersa and Walther, as well as any other manufacturer I've left out. I've seen far more malfunctions with micro .32s than all others combined.

I do not believe a 3" 1911 is the gun for a 1911 novice, nor do I believe they deserve Mr. Pincus' broad-brush condemnation.

Chas.
I agree here. By the way, Mr. Cotton. There's a nice story about you with your picture in American Rifleman (NRA) magazine! :thumbs2:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Cknox3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Cknox3 »

Edc, Taurus pt111 millennium pro 9mm gen 1, Kershaw knife, extra mag. Right now I'm using a cheap gun show nylon holster until I can make my IWB kydex holster. Supplies come in Tuesday.

RedRaiderDavid
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RedRaiderDavid »

imvirus wrote:This is what I will be carrying for now until my XDS .45 come home.
I have essentially the same rig except I now prefer my Remora holster to my Alien Gear for daily carry.

healedknee

Post by healedknee »

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I do not intend to start any "wars". However...

It is a myth that modern 3" M1911's are unreliable. That was the case when they were first introduced but, as is the case with most things if they stay around long enough, gun and mag manufacturing processes and, perhaps, the availability of more reliable ammo, has resulted in 3" M1911's being very reliable. Anecdotally, the fact that they are so popular with consumers (and profitable to manufacturers) must mean something. Interestingly for me, all of my 3" Kimbers are more reliable that the commander sized Springfield M1911 that I had some years ago. I've carried "baby" 1911's for 5+ years,have shot thousands of rounds through them and would not trust my life to them if they were not 100%. I will note that, as is the case with all guns, quality mags are a must (here some manufacturers fall short with the mags they ship with their guns) as is reliable ammo (what may be reliable for one gun, may not be so for another). Wilson mags work in all of my guns as do Mec Gars and Kimber TacPros.

Just my 2 cents.

Blessings to all,

Dave

RedRaiderDavid

Post by RedRaiderDavid »

I'm no gun smith but I think some guns get a bad wrap because of the failure of their owners to properly maintain them. For instance, my first gun was a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm which I think S&W has since removed the Sigma name because they had bad press due to jamming. I shot thousands of rounds through that gun and it never once even hiccuped BUT I also clean my weapons after they are fired, every time. Many less experienced gun owners rarely clean their guns, don't know they should at all or do it every few range trips and then complain when their weapons malfunction. We know that the most reliable gun out there is probably Glock (don't hate, I'm not a fan), you can shoot a thousand rounds through it, drop it in the mud on the way to your car then leave it in there for the month of August and it will still fire. 1911s on the other hand require more routine maintenance, cleaning and lubrication to get that kind of reliability but they are capable of it. So yeah, the gun who buys a 1911, doesn't clean it all year then goes to that training is probably going to have a failure where the guy who bought a Glock, treated it the same way and went to the training is probably going to get away with it.

jmra
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jmra »

RedRaiderDavid wrote:I'm no gun smith but I think some guns get a bad wrap because of the failure of their owners to properly maintain them. For instance, my first gun was a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm which I think S&W has since removed the Sigma name because they had bad press due to jamming. I shot thousands of rounds through that gun and it never once even hiccuped BUT I also clean my weapons after they are fired, every time. Many less experienced gun owners rarely clean their guns, don't know they should at all or do it every few range trips and then complain when their weapons malfunction. We know that the most reliable gun out there is probably Glock (don't hate, I'm not a fan), you can shoot a thousand rounds through it, drop it in the mud on the way to your car then leave it in there for the month of August and it will still fire. 1911s on the other hand require more routine maintenance, cleaning and lubrication to get that kind of reliability but they are capable of it. So yeah, the gun who buys a 1911, doesn't clean it all year then goes to that training is probably going to have a failure where the guy who bought a Glock, treated it the same way and went to the training is probably going to get away with it.
The red portion is very true. I do like to throw mine in the dish washer once or twice a year.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

68Charger
Posts in topic: 50

Post by 68Charger »

We should probably start a new thread discussing your topics and get back to showing beautiful pieces of metal. :mrgreen:

:smash: :fire :evil2:
We don't need no stinking badges!

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Excaliber wrote:I agree on all points.

I have carried 1911's in all 3 configurations for many years. None of mine are custom guns, and none have received the custom pistolsmith treatment. They've all got some improved parts and a little polishing here and there, but nothing exotic or expensive.

There is no doubt that the 5" versions are the most reliable.

The shorter versions are definitely much more sensitive to on time spring changes and proper cleaning and lubrication. This is not a problem if one pays attention to these things and knows how to do them right. I wouldn't carry a gun that was finicky and prone to failure, but I also don't pick my guns by how much abuse I can give them before they fail because I don't abuse them by neglecting cleaning and lubrication so it doesn't much matter.

That being said, I have no hesitation about carrying a 3" Ultra Carry that has proven itself extremely reliable over the years with around 7,000 rounds through it. It's much easier to conceal under summer clothing and it does everything I need it to do whenever I need it.

I respect Mr. Pincus and think he has much to say that is worth listening to. In this case, I just have to say that his conclusions on the 1911 may not apply to all such guns, because they don't describe my experience with mine.
Emphasis mine. Mind if I ask why?

I've was an Instructor for a lot longer than ten years, I guarantee I've trained a lot more students than he has and I carried a 1911 in combat zones. I carried a G19 or G17 for a while because it was what there was. I carry a 1911 and a Springfield Champion. My choice.

He could not be more wrong about the 1911 and looking at other of his material in the past and talking to professionals in the industry, I don't find he has anything worth listening to. It's an opinion. As is his. His is in complete contravention to the opinions of people that use these tools in the most hostile environments on the planet and have access to any weapon they want.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 38

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jmra wrote:
rockinar wrote:I see a lot of people carrying 1911 Ultra Compact Kimbers. Those things are the most unreliable gun on earth. Good looking guns. But I would NEVER stake my life on one. Do your training and research.

[youtube][/youtube]
The full size 1911 is a tried and true design. The compact versions have many issues and simply aren't reliable as a self defense weapon. You don't know how much I wish that wasn't the case, but it is.
I carried a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry for several years, and it was a flawlessly functioning gun. It was every bit as reliable as my M&P45 full size, a tinier bit more reliable than my 5" Springfield 1911, and easily the equal in reliability of my wife's Glock 19, or my current EDC XDM-45 Compact 3.8 and XDS-45. Would I risk submerging it in frozen mud for a year before firing it? Not hardly. But neither would I do that with my wife's Glock 19 (her feelings in the matter notwithstanding), and neither would anybody else who seriously stakes their life on a properly functioning gun!!! The Glock factory may torture test guns to prove their reliability (and so do S&W and other manufacturers too, BTW), but they don't carry those guns personally.....at least not in that condition. I will bet you every dollar you earn for the next 10 years that those torture-tested Glocks get properly cleaned, lubed, and/or serviced as necessary, before any Glock employee agrees to carry them as a personal defense weapon.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

spongeworthy

Post by spongeworthy »

Gen 4 Glock 27 .40 S&W
Attachments
g27.jpg

TBJK

Post by TBJK »

RedRaiderDavid wrote:I'm no gun smith but I think some guns get a bad wrap because of the failure of their owners to properly maintain them. For instance, my first gun was a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm which I think S&W has since removed the Sigma name because they had bad press due to jamming. I shot thousands of rounds through that gun and it never once even hiccuped BUT I also clean my weapons after they are fired, every time. Many less experienced gun owners rarely clean their guns, don't know they should at all or do it every few range trips and then complain when their weapons malfunction. We know that the most reliable gun out there is probably Glock (don't hate, I'm not a fan), you can shoot a thousand rounds through it, drop it in the mud on the way to your car then leave it in there for the month of August and it will still fire. 1911s on the other hand require more routine maintenance, cleaning and lubrication to get that kind of reliability but they are capable of it. So yeah, the gun who buys a 1911, doesn't clean it all year then goes to that training is probably going to have a failure where the guy who bought a Glock, treated it the same way and went to the training is probably going to get away with it.
My EDC is a sigma. It was also my first gun, I trust my life with mine. I did have the extractor partially fail on me. It would fail to eject about every 25-35 rounds before the third time I field stripped it to find the bent/broke but it still functioned.

Dirvin

Post by Dirvin »

spongeworthy wrote:Gen 4 Glock 27 .40 S&W
What brand is that holster?
No Slack-slack is just half a pair of pants
-Charlie "Rowdy" Yates

spongeworthy

Post by spongeworthy »

Dirvin wrote:
spongeworthy wrote:Gen 4 Glock 27 .40 S&W
What brand is that holster?
Galco King Tuk

myntalfloss

Post by myntalfloss »

Still trying to find an IWB holster. And a speedloader.

:biggrinjester:

Triple Barrel.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]
Attachments
Triple Barrel.jpg

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”