Need holster/belt suggestions and info...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Medic624
Posts in topic: 2

Need holster/belt suggestions and info...

Post by Medic624 »

Okay, so I'm reading the WHOLE .380 thread and I got to thinking, I've been carrying my XD .40 in 4" in an IWB Galco but using any old cruddy belt that holds up my pants/shorts.

The holster purchase was a walk in the gun shop cause I needed a new holster (old one was a Bladetech that was rubbing the bluing off the slide and not very comfortable AT ALL) got me a leather Galco and was/am happy enough with the holster...

BUT...something still isn't right cause it is still just plain not all that comfortable and I've simply learned to live with how it all fits. Oh, and I don't like the placement 1-2 o'clock but ONLY cause it seems to print at 4-5 o'clock...

Seems to me that I'm simply just settling "cause that's the way it is" and honestly I don't know enough about the whole holster/belt combo to know enough...

Some people have made comments as to the holster and belt and I got to thinking this would be a good thread for the people like me who carry unnecessarily uncomfortable cause we don't know what our options are.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions... :tiphat:
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

eureka40
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need holster/belt suggestions and info...

Post by eureka40 »

Well, as you'll see after a few responses, there are many options. Most of them are good. As for me, my everyday carry is a 4" XD40 service in a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe. I carry @ 3 o'clock with a forward cant on a Crossbreed 2" belt. It has become so comfortable I rarely even notice it.

Good luck in your search for comfortable carry.
TSRA Life Memeber

CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

Crossbreed paired with any quality thick gun belt and you can't go wrong
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)

Chuck Norris once sneezed on an 18 wheeler, the result was Optimus Prime.

Kimber Tactical Ultra II
Crimson Trace Laser grips
CrossBreed Super Tuck

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I use a Crossbreed Supertuck with a 1.75in Crossbreed belt.
However, I have just ordered a couple Blackhawk belts, from my B-I-L's suggestion as he has ordered one and showed it to me, it has great (so far) retention and nice looks too.
As well as they are 1.25 or 1.5inch so they fit standard clips.
http://www.Blackhawk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, I have purchased one of the Shielded Holsters, just to see the quality, but I did get the single clip, but for IWB, I would get the double click.
their are 3 benefits of the Shielded Holsters,
1 - you would have it in 2 weeks or so
2 - you can unscrew the clips and wear it OWB
3 - Price -- about $50 delivered (approx)
You can see pictures and his email address at http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthr ... p=14914140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Based largely on the limited experience I have with the CompTac M-TAC and what I have read on numerous sites regarding it and the CrossBreed Supertuck, I am convinced that an IWB holster can be quite comfortable for most people if it is designed a certain way. These holsters, along with the Tucker Texas Heritage and Anser (sp??), Durham Comfort Carry, Galco King Tuk and similar designs, are configured with the belt clips on either side of the main holster body. Thus, when they are placed inside the waistband, the thickness of the gun/holster combination does not have to include the extra thickness of the belt clip at that spot as well. Also, this clip placement spreads out the weight over a broader area of the belt. I thinks these sorts of holsters are all winners from the comfort standpoint.

Enough folks have said, and I can attest, that a good stiff gunbelt can help in many ways with all-day comfort. The stiffness of the belt will keep you from having to readjust just where everything is, and maintain the belt's/holster's position on your body better than is possible with a more flexible belt. There are many good beltmakers out there with prices starting around $40 and going up to the stratosphere depending on materials and finish. I definitely recommend a good belt as a needed accompaniment to a good holster.
Last edited by Middle Age Russ on Mon May 30, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I wear the Blackhawk rigger belts everyday, have for 13 years. Big fan.

You have the right idea about appendix carry, but not just because it's more concealable, but because it's faster to draw from and has infinitely better retention capability during a struggle. For my daily carry G17 I prefer a kydex appendix AIWB holster (Dale Fricke Seraphim or Ehud), but will go to leather (Galco IWB clip-on with spare mag), and even a trigger-guard only kydex (Dale Fricke Zack) when deeper concealment is needed.

RttlTrap

Post by RttlTrap »

Get a good gun belt first. You'll be surprised how much difference it makes -- your galco will feel completely different. You can always upgrade holsters later.
We're all here 'cause we're not all there.

punkndisorderly

Post by punkndisorderly »

I'm running a Summer Comfort holster with a Galco Belt for my Glock 26 and it works well for me. I think the next belt I buy will be from one of the more high end makers. The Galco belt, while much, much better than a department store belt, still is a little "flimsier" than I'd like.

Love the Summer Comfort holster though. Can't decide between getting another for my 1911 or trying out one of the Super Tuck's everyone seems to be hot on.
Texas CHL Instructor

CJATE

Post by CJATE »

I say (within reason) the holster does not matter. Just what ever you like. I have t m-tac, and a sparks. I like the all leather on my 1911 but like the 1/2 plastic on my plastic gun. I like 2 clips to spread the weight out

I have to dress for work, so I got a nice brown sparks and a nice black beltman. Bellman is nicer and about the same money. I did the 1.24" as I use it with a suit. Add the stiffener and the 7 hole. I like 7 hole for more options

I'd go as far to say if you can't do nice belt and nice holster, do the belt (first)

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

I'll repeat this: get a nice belt.

But something you don't hear often: get a belt that fits the mount on your holster. When I carry a galco which has 1.75" slots on a 1.5" belt it has quite a bit of wobble room. I'm getting a new belt for my OWB holsters.

In my experience, comp tac has been great. I have 3 C-tacs that are for various guns (glock, pps, s&w j frame) they work very well. Haven't tried a hybrid holster yet c-tac is plenty comfortable for me ( as long as there's a gun in it, if not the sweat shield digs in ). I got the belt to match from comptac, its not too pricey and its pretty rigid due to the plastic they stitch in there. Stay away from their OWB stuff for CC, the one I got is bulky and it kind of hovers the gun an inch away from my belt not tucked in tight. Mileage may vary. :txflag:
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

This is what I have experiended:

A great holster (thies hybrid holster theisholsters.com--basically a crossbreed supertuck) works great for my G26. I do own a few gunbelts, but I rarely use them. Honestly, what I normally wear with shorts and whatnot is a POS web belt I got at academy for like 8 dollars. I hear a lot of guys here talking about how amazing of a difference their gunbelts make carrying, but I just dont need one myself. I think maybe my size and the clothes I wear has something to do with that, I'm not sure. I'm younger, so I mostly wear cargo shorts that ride about hip level--not waist level. The way my shorts ride with my web belt pushes my holster/gun against my hip, and there is no movement.

So I think that once you get a holster, you can experiment with belts to whatever makes you comfy. I am definatley not bashing gunbelts, but the only time I have ever felt that one was necessary is when I was in Iraq and Afghan carrying around a BUNCH of stuff on my belt. I could fit almost everything in a tacvest that slipped over my kevlar, but my belt held a lot of stuff too. With all that added weight, a gunbelt was a MUST HAVE.

Lots of weight makes a gunbelt necessary. A good holster is mandatory, no questions asked. Everyone has their favorite, and unfortunately it's just one of the things that I think everyone has to find out what is best for themselves. Easily my most expensive part of the whole process was finding the holster.

Class-$100
Gun-$400
Application-FREE
Holster--Total I probably have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 dollars on finding the right one.
No More Signature

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

I use a Durham Concealed technology iwb with comp-tac velcro clips for my xdm 9 compact.
For belt I use a Comp-tac kydex reinforced belt with the velco lining. Its a great belt.
The velcro clips and lining help for total concealment.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Fedaykin

Post by Fedaykin »

I have a FIST Kydex IWB that I like the best. It's super thin .040" and adds NO thickness to the gun. It's the closest you can do to just stuffing a pistol in your waistband minus the danger of stuffing a pistol in your waistband! :nono:

Most of the holsters I tried, leather, hybrids, pure Kydex all add too much thickness from your skin to the outer edge of the holster. The FIST IWB adds about 1/2" total thickness from skin to outer edge and I can sit in my truck seat and I don't feel it at all.

I wear a lot of cargo shorts that ride low on the hip. I bought a good 'gun belt' from target for $15. It's a super thick Swiss Army belt that supports the weight of my S&W M&P40c great.

My only comlaint about it is that the weight is all on a single clip. I'm going to try to figure out a way to modify the bracket to get to clips spread apart to see if I can remedy that.

I've seen everybody raving about Crossbreed so i'm going to build a Leather/Kydex hybrid from Old Faithful Holsters this week and I'll post how it is. I just can't see having all that bulkly leather up against my skin during the summer though, but I'm willing to try it out.
Smith & Wesson M&P .40 compact

3/02/11 - DPS Received packet
3/14/11 - First Status
4/18/11 - Background Green
4/19/11 - Pending Manufacturing
4/20/11 - Manufacturing
4/22/11 - MAILED
4/25/11 - Plastic!! (55 days)

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Fedaykin wrote: I've seen everybody raving about Crossbreed so i'm going to build a Leather/Kydex hybrid from Old Faithful Holsters this week and I'll post how it is. I just can't see having all that bulkly leather up against my skin during the summer though, but I'm willing to try it out.
You will love the hybrid--it's much thinner than I expected it would be. Infinately more so than the Galco, etc I was using before. I have had this one for about 2 months now (?), and no complaints with the heat. It's been 100-110 here in San Angelo, Tx for the last week so I have got a real good eval on hot weather application. Horsehide does a good job of repeling sweat, but the small amount of moisture that has soaked through combined with the extreme heat has really broken in the leather :) Like you and I both said, the cargo shorts have done a good job ventilating most of the heat, and I haven't taken an opportunity to wear jeans with the holster to see how hot it is. I did wear some khaki cargo pants to mass yesterday...Saturday I should say, since it's 3 a.m., and no complaints. The weight distribution over 2 clips rather than 1 is wonderful. Diggin your target swiss gunbelt LOL. I'm partial to my cheapo web belts because I can attatch my military belt buckles to them, and i'm awefully fond of my military belt buckles!
No More Signature

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

N82Tactical holster and 5.11 belt. I have been trying out the Nate Squared Tactical IWB holster and it is the most comfortable IWB I have ever worn. You cannot beat the price at $40 either.
http://n82tactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”