Will Harris County Sheriff sign Form 4?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Will Harris County Sheriff sign Form 4?

Post by Jumping Frog »

Was thinking about a suppressed SBR. Anyone know if the Harris County Sheriff will sign off on NFA stuff, or do I need to go the Trust/Corp route?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

alvins

Re: Will Harris County Sheriff sign Form 4?

Post by alvins »

I dont know personally thats why i was going to go the trust route so i could buy all I wanted without having to go back when needed.it also helps so others can have access to it easily without a big hassle.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

This is just hearsay but from what I've heard over the gun counter is that the Adrian Garcia, the Harris County Sheriff, is very relucant to sign a Form 4. I have no idea how valid that is, just what I've heard.
Psalm 91:2

Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike from Texas »

I don't live in Harris County but I've also hear that it's pretty much a big no.

I went the trust route. There are so many more benefits going the trust route vs individual that it was a no brainer for me.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

Cube mate at work tried to get one signed for his SBR this spring and it was a non-starter. He ended up going the trust route and hasn't looked back.

ipscshooter

Post by ipscshooter »

Just curious... Could someone give a brief explanation of the "trust route." Thanks.
NRA Life Member
USPSA Member
NSCA Life Member

Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike from Texas »

ipscshooter wrote:Just curious... Could someone give a brief explanation of the "trust route." Thanks.
http://www.texasnfatrust.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

SecedeTX

Post by SecedeTX »

Trust route is the way to go. it's not that expensive, covers more than just you (family), and if you should happen to take a "dirt nap" transfer of the items is a no big deal at all.
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

So what is the ball park price for legal fees to create a trust such as this? A simple one for family purposes, not a business operation.

alvins

Post by alvins »

i guess harris needs to vote in a republican sherrif

Rugrash

Post by Rugrash »

From our experience, there is no CLEO in Harris county that will sign anything. We've even heard of LEOs trying to get NFA forms signed with no luck either. There was some talk of Pat Lycos signing forms, but I never heard a first-hand account of that.

We also use Sean Cody at the link previously posted. I went the trust route via Quicken Willmaker Pro and have had no problems whatsoever. The BATFE NFA branch are not in the business of determining if your trust is valid, so at some point I am going to have Sean go over my existing documents, just to make sure everything is OK. Also, make sure that you don't have your new item in your "schedule A" inventory list nor in the "transfer of property" page b/c technically the item hasn't been successfully transferred to your trust until the tax stamp has arrived at your dealer. In the past, I used to have this info already in my trust papers, but in the last year or so we started to see problems with doing that prematurely.

If you want to talk about any NFA stuff, please call Robert at (713) 529-2910 or visit http://www.talonarms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Rug

grumper

Post by grumper »

alvins wrote:i guess harris needs to vote in a republican sherrif
Harris County had one. Tommy Thomas who also refused to sign NFA forms.

I went the LLC route and lots of people opt for the trust route as well.

Fibonacci

Post by Fibonacci »

CWOOD wrote:So what is the ball park price for legal fees to create a trust such as this? A simple one for family purposes, not a business operation.
Edwin Walker of Walker Rice and Wisdom (who have the [Pre-paid legal service] program) mentions $299 as the cost for setting up a trust. See this link ...

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

ipscshooter wrote:Just curious... Could someone give a brief explanation of the "trust route." Thanks.
$29.95 for Quicken Willmaker Pro, ~$650 for a trust from a lawyer with NFA expertise.

alvins

Post by alvins »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:
$29.95 for Quicken Willmaker Pro, ~$650 for a trust from a lawyer with NFA expertise.

i personally wouldnt trust quicken for somthing that could get you in big trouble.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”