Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasAggie09
Posts in topic: 2

Sig P229 Ammo

Post by TexasAggie09 »

Howdy hall,
I'm writing this from my phone so it'll be kind of brief. I went out to shoot my new P229 enhanced elite chambered in .40 for the first time last weekend. My long-time preferred personal defense ammo is the Hornady critical defense. It shoots beautifully through my PT145 and my CZ-75b. I got the same for my 229 and shot about 40 rounds of it to make sure it eats it. It did not. The round kept getting stuck on the ramp and not seating in the chamber, locking the slide partially back until I racked the bottom of the magazine. It only happened with these rounds. I haven't yet ruled out lubrication but has anyone else had this problem?
Taurus Model 82 .38 Special
Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro
CZ 75 B 9mm
Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special
Remington 870 Express Home Defense
Sig Sauer P229 Enhanced Elite .40 S&W
Rock River LAR-15 Elite Operator 2 .223/5.56

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2009

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sig P229 Ammo

Post by Dave2 »

Who makes the magazine? The only malfunction I've ever had with my P226 was with the newer Sig 20-round magazines (made by Checkmate). My Mec-Gar and older Sig magazines (which were made by Mec-Gar) have been 100%.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Zoomie

Post by Zoomie »

I've never had any problems with any ammo in my 229, but I have not tried running Hornady critical defense through it. I agree that checking the mags would be a good idea.
"Speed is fine accuracy is final."
-Wyatt Earp

"Great danger lies in the notion we can reason with evil."
-Winston Churchill

And the wind shall say 'Here were decent godless people'. Their only monument the asphalt road and a thousand lost golf balls.
-T.S Elliot

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

That's a new one. One thing I've liked about the Critical Defense ammo is that its run in numerous guns for me with no problems. Having said that, I think Dave2 may be on to something. A lot of folks have complained about the new Checkmate mags new Sigs are shipping with now. No clue why it would affect one type of ammo and not another, but it might be worth looking into. I know you can still buy Mec-Gar mags aftermarket. I've got 20+ Mec-Gars for various Sigs and have never had an issue with them.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't ask, but did you clean and lube the gun before you shot it?
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

SigM4 wrote:That's a new one. One thing I've liked about the Critical Defense ammo is that its run in numerous guns for me with no problems. Having said that, I think Dave2 may be on to something. A lot of folks have complained about the new Checkmate mags new Sigs are shipping with now. No clue why it would affect one type of ammo and not another, but it might be worth looking into. I know you can still buy Mec-Gar mags aftermarket. I've got 20+ Mec-Gars for various Sigs and have never had an issue with them.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't ask, but did you clean and lube the gun before you shot it?
+1 on the cleaning... Sigs like to run wet.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
TexasAggie09
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasAggie09 »

Thanks for all the suggestions yall. I am out of town for work right now and separated from my baby but I'll check it all out when I get back to CS. Thanks again!
Taurus Model 82 .38 Special
Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro
CZ 75 B 9mm
Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special
Remington 870 Express Home Defense
Sig Sauer P229 Enhanced Elite .40 S&W
Rock River LAR-15 Elite Operator 2 .223/5.56

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2009

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

TexasAggie09 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions yall. I am out of town for work right now and separated from my baby but I'll check it all out when I get back to CS. Thanks again!
the only problem I have ever had with any of my sigs was with my p239 in .40, I was shooting PMC branded ammo and the nose of the bullet (it was FMJ ball ammo) would hit the slide slide stop and it would lock back like the mag was empty.

luckly I only had a box of 50 of that stuff because it would do it once or twice a mag

Thai

Post by Thai »

To be honest, i would send it back to Sig for them to check it out. Call them up and they should give you info on how to send it back. I would not be so fast to blame your ammo. Send the gun and magazine (that caused the trouble) back to Sig.

I sent back my Sig P290 twice...first time due to manufacturing defect on my early model...2nd time due to failure to extract and misfires. It works beautifully now. Unfortunately, i have heard of quality control issues on late model Sigs (and other brands)...that usually corrects itself with a trip back to the manufacturer.

Good luck.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The malfunction you are describing sounds like a magazine problem. Is this a new gun? Does it function with FMJ? Guns are individuals some don't like certain things to eat. Try another brand after a thorough cleaning and lubrication. If different ammo and/or a different magazine does not remedy the problem send it back to SIG. If it's a new gun have you shot at least 100 trouble free rounds regardless of type?
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”