CARRY Question, SIG P38 vs Ruger LC9 or Kel Tec etc

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
texaspirate
Posts in topic: 4

CARRY Question, SIG P38 vs Ruger LC9 or Kel Tec etc

Post by texaspirate »

Hi Guys, new to the carry world and would like some advice..

I have a sig 226 and LOVE IT, it doesnt fail... and its flawless in construction... so Im partial.

Im looking for a carry that is not so large and I am torn... I like the Sig P238 because its a sig thats it... but its just a 38... I can get the Ruger LC9 or Kel Tec PF9 in 9 MM..

Price is not the issue for me... Consistency, no FTF when it counts and Accuracy, Stopping power weighing....

I realize the caliber is one question... But I keep throwing the Sig in because its a Sig AND Im thinking I may be more accurate in rapid fire with less kick of 38 as compared to same size gun basically in a 9 of the other two. Ive watched a lot of You tube videos...

Please INPUT... Say what you think and give me some good thoughts on your carry equipment if your willing to Share..

Thanks...

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 8

Re: CARRY Question, SIG P38 vs Ruger LC9 or Kel Tec etc

Post by wgoforth »

texaspirate wrote:Hi Guys, new to the carry world and would like some advice..

I have a sig 226 and LOVE IT, it doesnt fail... and its flawless in construction... so Im partial.

Im looking for a carry that is not so large and I am torn... I like the Sig P238 because its a sig thats it... but its just a 38... I can get the Ruger LC9 or Kel Tec PF9 in 9 MM..

Price is not the issue for me... Consistency, no FTF when it counts and Accuracy, Stopping power weighing....

I realize the caliber is one question... But I keep throwing the Sig in because its a Sig AND Im thinking I may be more accurate in rapid fire with less kick of 38 as compared to same size gun basically in a 9 of the other two. Ive watched a lot of You tube videos...

Please INPUT... Say what you think and give me some good thoughts on your carry equipment if your willing to Share..

Thanks...
Welcome to the forum and to the concealed carry world.... The P238 isn't a .38, it is a .380, in case that makes any difference in your decision on it.
My wife and I both have and carry the P238 in .380. great guns and I have had and traded off about every pocket gun from P3AT, LCP, TCP, Bodyguard up to this and finally found one I love. Guns and personal and your mileage may vary. Others don't like them, others love them. Smoothest, least recoil of any of these... and fills your hand once you pop on the extended mag, giving you 8 rounds. REMEMBER, it is single action only, so in whole different category than the others. There will be the caliber wars of those who tell you a .380 isn't worth shooting, and the .45 guys who will tell you that a 9mm is for sissies. It comes down to personal choice. A recent 10 year study showed little difference among calibers until incapacitation, as it seems to be largely psychological. Of course bigger is better when it comes to bullet size and anyone would be a fool to say otherwise, but it is all a trade-off. There is always something bigger. I like the shoot-ability, 8 rounds, dmooth trigger and action of the P238.
Last edited by wgoforth on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
texaspirate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texaspirate »

Exactly... 380 i meant to say

Thanks!

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

texaspirate wrote:Exactly... 380 i meant to say

Thanks!
Be sure to note the added edited comments I placed about the time you sent this. Let me know should you have questions about it, I researched this thing thou roughly before buying 2 of them.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Your intended carry method (pocket, ankle, IWB, OWB, etc...) and how the gun feels in your hand, particularly when firing it, should be the deciding factors. I don't really disagree with anything WGOFORTH mentions on this issue and my wife has a P238 but I have an S&W Bodyguard .380 in my carry rotation. The reason I have the Bodyguard is that I can pocket carry it in just about any pair of pants I have. I cannot do this with the P238, but I like shooting it better than the Bodyguard.

Keep in mind that depending on circumstances it is not that difficult to conceal a full sized pistol. Using a CompTac MTAC (or presumably a Cross Breed Super Tuck, Tucker Anser, Galco King Tuk and the like) I can conceal a full sized M&P 9 pretty well under a tucked shirt. For casual outings, church and the like this is my preferred carry choice. The .380 serves in places where potential scrutiny is greater / more continuous, like the workplace.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Your intended carry method (pocket, ankle, IWB, OWB, etc...) and how the gun feels in your hand, particularly when firing it, should be the deciding factors. I don't really disagree with anything WGOFORTH mentions on this issue and my wife has a P238 but I have an S&W Bodyguard .380 in my carry rotation. The reason I have the Bodyguard is that I can pocket carry it in just about any pair of pants I have. I cannot do this with the P238, but I like shooting it better than the Bodyguard.

Keep in mind that depending on circumstances it is not that difficult to conceal a full sized pistol. Using a CompTac MTAC (or presumably a Cross Breed Super Tuck, Tucker Anser, Galco King Tuk and the like) I can conceal a full sized M&P 9 pretty well under a tucked shirt. For casual outings, church and the like this is my preferred carry choice. The .380 serves in places where potential scrutiny is greater / more continuous, like the workplace.
Lol, I first read this as "I don't agree with anything wgoforth mentions..." And I'm thinking "whaaaa??" Yes, Bodyguard is a nice peice. It fact it was my personal carry until my wife handled the P238 and liked it. Got hers and tried it and was amazed at how smooth and accurate it was...so I got one! I am big on saying spouses should have matching guns so if they accidentally grab each others during a firefight or accidentally grab one anothers mags there isn't a problem or a moment of confusion.

If you search the web on the P238, you will find lots of complaints early one. These have been corrected for the past year.. changed the recoil spring design and the magazine....so don't get an older used one without considering the replacement cost of those.

My wife's is on the top, mine is on the bottom. Note extended mag which allows all 4 fingers to grip and extra round (I have a small hand).

Last edited by wgoforth on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member

hpcatx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hpcatx »

texaspirate wrote:Im looking for a carry that is not so large and I am torn... I like the Sig P238 because its a sig thats it... but its just a 38... I can get the Ruger LC9 or Kel Tec PF9 in 9 MM..

I have a Ruger LC9, like it, and would recommend it. It's criticisms are true: It has a long trigger pull and a thumb safety. If you train on them, these can be thoroughly minimized. But it comes down to a personal preference... I don't mind the long pull a small carry gun and having the thumb safety was actually a plus for me. Mine has over six hundred rounds down range and not a single issue. I've read of removing the magazine-disconnect safety and thought that it may make sense, but I've not done so.

I would put it a slightly-larger-than-pocket-gun category. This may make a big difference to you if you're looking for a true pocket gun. For me, the more important consideration was the 9 mm cartridge, versus the .380. Price was a major factor in my decision, but the Ruger did win out above the Kel Tec.

All that being said, if you're partial to them already, the Sig might be the best gun of the lot... especially if that means you'll carry the .380 more than the 9mm'ers.

[Edited to fix grammar.] :rolll
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

hpcatx wrote:
texaspirate wrote:Im looking for a carry that is not so large and I am torn... I like the Sig P238 because its a sig thats it... but its just a 38... I can get the Ruger LC9 or Kel Tec PF9 in 9 MM..

I have a Ruger LC9, like it, and would recommend it. It's criticisms are true: It has a long trigger pull and a thumb safety. If you train on them, these can be thoroughly minimized. But it comes down to a personal preference... I don't mind the long pull a small carry gun and having the thumb safety was actually a plus for me. Mine has over six hundred rounds down range and not a single issue. I've read of removing the magazine-disconnect safety and thought that it may make sense, but I've not done so.

I would put it a slightly-larger-than-pocket-gun category. This may make a big difference to you if you're looking for a true pocket gun. For me, the more important consideration was the 9 mm cartridge versus the .380. And price was a major factor in my decision, but the Ruger did win out above the Kel Tec.

All that being said, if you're partial to them already, the Sig might be the best gun of the lot... especially if that means you'll carry the .380 more than the 9mm'ers.
Other than the negatives you have mentioned, I have heard good things on the LC9 also. I would NOT suggest removing the mag disconnect. In the event of any type of accident,even if it had nothing to do with the mag disconnect removal, you could set yourself up for liability. The thumb safety on the P238 is very easy to sweep on and off with the thumb...in fact about perfect, as it has a detent ball under it. Not so easy you could accidentally do it, but very easy for my wife and I with just sweep of thumb.
NRA Life Member

hpcatx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hpcatx »

wgoforth wrote:I would NOT suggest removing the mag disconnect. In the event of any type of accident,even if it had nothing to do with the mag disconnect removal, you could set yourself up for liability.
I appreciate the advice. This was a concern, but wasn't sure of the likelihood that the modification would factor in.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

I have the P238, and a LCP. While the sig is more accurate and controllable, and has big night sights, I carry the LCP mostly.
Why? Because it disappears in my pocket, and it's DA. I believe a carry pistol needs to be DA or DA/SA, unless you practice weekly with it.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Rex B wrote:I have the P238, and a LCP. While the sig is more accurate and controllable, and has big night sights, I carry the LCP mostly.
Why? Because it disappears in my pocket, and it's DA. I believe a carry pistol needs to be DA or DA/SA, unless you practice weekly with it.
Wondering why you would think this particular SA would be less safe as long as holstered? Consider that it has a safety, it has an 8lb trigger pull. If the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard has an 8 lb trigger pull though double action, and the P238 has 8lb trigger pull, how is it less safe? It also has a hammer safety so it is not going to go off unless the trigger is pulled. Note this has something I know of no other SA having... the ability to rack the slide to chamber or unchamber a round WITH the safety engaged. Too, the LCP/P3AT will not lock back on last round as will the P238. Don't get me wrong, LCP is fine, just wondering why you would feel this particular SA would be unsafe as carry (since it is made for that purpose).
NRA Life Member

gfmun

Post by gfmun »

I dunno...I think it depends on how you intend to carry it. If you are going to stick it in your pocket thats one thing. If you are going to put it on your belt, thats another. My wife could carry an AR-15 in her purse and no one would know.

Pocket carry I go with a Kahr PM9. I have had two, neither ever failed ( putting the recoil spring in backwards can cause problems ) , and I prefer 9mm over .380. Belt carry I go with a commander sized .45 acp.

I guess I would say pick one and then practice, practice, and in your spare time, practice some more.

just my $ .02

George

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

wgoforth wrote:
Rex B wrote:I have the P238, and a LCP. While the sig is more accurate and controllable, and has big night sights, I carry the LCP mostly.
Wondering why you would think this particular SA would be less safe as long as holstered? Consider that it has a safety, it has an 8lb trigger pull. If the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard has an 8 lb trigger pull though double action, and the P238 has 8lb trigger pull, how is it less safe? It also has a hammer safety so it is not going to go off unless the trigger is pulled. Note this has something I know of no other SA having... the ability to rack the slide to chamber or unchamber a round WITH the safety engaged. Too, the LCP/P3AT will not lock back on last round as will the P238. Don't get me wrong, LCP is fine, just wondering why you would feel this particular SA would be unsafe as carry (since it is made for that purpose).
I never said it was unsafe. it's just a wee bit more complicated. If God forbid I ever really need my gun, I want a simple point and click interface.
And since I pocket carry, I don't do cocked and locked. So with the Sig it's draw-(opt)safety off- cock-fire. With the LCP it's draw-fire.
Maybe you can do SA in one fluid motion, but I know I can't.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Rex B wrote:
wgoforth wrote:
I never said it was unsafe. it's just a wee bit more complicated. If God forbid I ever really need my gun, I want a simple point and click interface.
And since I pocket carry, I don't do cocked and locked. So with the Sig it's draw-(opt)safety off- cock-fire. With the LCP it's draw-fire.
Maybe you can do SA in one fluid motion, but I know I can't.
Yes, we do..fast thumb sweep as I pull. If you practice you can do it... it's a question if it's something you want to do. It takes between 1,500-3,000 reps of anything to commit something to muscle memory. Since the trigger is shorter, I suspect I can thumb off safety and fire about as fast as someone with a longer trigger pull. Again, it's all relative, just a matter of what one wants and is comfortable with.
NRA Life Member

dalto

Post by dalto »

I will add my vote to the Sig P238 camp.

Great little gun. Much more pleasant to shoot than any of the other pocket pistols I have tried.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”