Andy Griffith - Times have changed

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Andy Griffith - Times have changed

Post by Oldgringo »

alvins wrote:just about anything on the hallmark channel is terrible. the waltons is the worst. i guess you can guess my age.lol
Is it 9?

Ldy AlliDu

Post by Ldy AlliDu »

Oldgringo wrote:
alvins wrote:just about anything on the hallmark channel is terrible. the waltons is the worst. i guess you can guess my age.lol
Is it 9?
:biggrinjester:
Happy Birthday!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

jimlongley wrote:
wgoforth wrote:Isn't there a .22 used just for carnivals and such that has no powder but only the cap?

Edit: Found it... a .22 colibri
Predating the Colibri by more than 100 years was the BB (Bulleted Breech) cap, and quite common in the county fair guns. I used to win at those fairly regularly, it was primarily a matter of getting the carny to let you use the same gun often enough to find out how far off its sights were and then using "Kentucky Windage" to run the score up. Most of the carnies would take notice if you kept using the same gun over and over and would make you change guns, but if you were sneaky enough you could get away with it, particularly noting that the carnies took breaks and moved from booth to booth. It helped that I didn't hit my growth spurt until I was almost 16, so I still looked like a kid even when I was an active NRA competitor.

One old carny switched me to a little gun that had the front sight bent almost 90 degrees, but after a few shots I had it figured out and put all my shots in the center of the star before he had a chance to switch me to another gun, and then when he was trying show me that all the shots hadn't made it through the center of the star, the piece of target that he had stuck to his finger fell off.

Got a big (6 foot) stuffed shark for my date out of that one, but I wound up carrying it.

A couple of other things the carnies used to do was not clean the guns, and some had the rifling, if not removed, at least severely compromised.
I think the term today on these is a CB Cap .22 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Can still find those at some gun shops. They work good for neighborhood squirrels. :thumbs2:

EDIT TO ADD: http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?conte ... dID=CC0026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

speedsix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by speedsix »

...a little different...but primer-powered http://www.chuckhawks.com/history_rimfire_ammo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.google.com/search?q=bb+caps& ... 93&bih=499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

strider67

Post by strider67 »

FL450 wrote:I still watch Andy Griffith, seen every episode. The show doesnt get old.
My Dad and I watch it every time we are together and can catch it on...we almost cry every time from laughing so hard. It's got to be the old ones, though...no color or RFD :nono:

My DVR also records every episode of 'The Rifleman' when it comes on...
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

fulano

Post by fulano »

I won a 410 shotgun at an FFA district meeting when I was 15. Ag teacher had me to bring it to school to show the whole Ag class. Can you imagine that happening today :shock:

Also, my dad kept a "gallery" rifle in his office at his agri-business. Even prior to being a teenager, I spent the mornings before school shooting pigeons that were trying to nest in the eves of the tall cotton warehouses with it. It used 22 long rifle 'rat shot' ( #12 pellets). It had a smooth bore. Chambered for the 22 but the bore was somewhat larger than a 22.

I've looked for similar guns at gun shows but never found one.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Keith B wrote:
jimlongley wrote:
wgoforth wrote:Isn't there a .22 used just for carnivals and such that has no powder but only the cap?

Edit: Found it... a .22 colibri
Predating the Colibri by more than 100 years was the BB (Bulleted Breech) cap, and quite common in the county fair guns. I used to win at those fairly regularly, it was primarily a matter of getting the carny to let you use the same gun often enough to find out how far off its sights were and then using "Kentucky Windage" to run the score up. Most of the carnies would take notice if you kept using the same gun over and over and would make you change guns, but if you were sneaky enough you could get away with it, particularly noting that the carnies took breaks and moved from booth to booth. It helped that I didn't hit my growth spurt until I was almost 16, so I still looked like a kid even when I was an active NRA competitor.

One old carny switched me to a little gun that had the front sight bent almost 90 degrees, but after a few shots I had it figured out and put all my shots in the center of the star before he had a chance to switch me to another gun, and then when he was trying show me that all the shots hadn't made it through the center of the star, the piece of target that he had stuck to his finger fell off.

Got a big (6 foot) stuffed shark for my date out of that one, but I wound up carrying it.

A couple of other things the carnies used to do was not clean the guns, and some had the rifling, if not removed, at least severely compromised.
I think the term today on these is a CB Cap .22 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Can still find those at some gun shops. They work good for neighborhood squirrels. :thumbs2:

EDIT TO ADD: http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?conte ... dID=CC0026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nope, a BB cap uses a round ball, while a CB cap uses a conical one, thus "CB" cap. Wikipedia doesn't necessarily have all of the info, or have it right, although in this case they do, pretty much. You should have followed the linkie in the CB cap article to BB cap.

The concept of the rimfire cartridge had been around for a while when Flobert, among others, devloped and patented his priming system, which evolved into our well known and arguably most popular cartridge family, the .22 rimfire. Initial patents were issued in 1831, and Flobert, with his friend Warnant, started selling guns in 1836, with the BB cap introduced in the late 1880s for quiet shooting in the comfort of one's home.
Last edited by jimlongley on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

AEA

Post by AEA »

My primary channel watching is Encore Westerns and Fox News.
Sometimes Mil Channel and Midway's Wed Night shows. Other than that, it would be a movie from time to time (if I can find one worth watching - which is RARE).
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

jimlongley wrote:Nope, a BB cap uses a round ball, while a CB cap uses a conical one, thus "CB" cap. Can't trust wikipedia to have everything, or have it right.
You're correct. Here are the differences in .22 CB and BB rounds :

Here are CCI .22 CB Rounds

Here is an UMAREX BB Cap
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...American shooters and retailers commonly refer to the CCI CB Short as a CB cap...though it is not strictly true...the conical CB cap is rare over here...I've found the CB Long feeds a bit better in pump rifles than the CB Short...either has the same energy, according to some reports...primer only...some say they won't make it down a rifle barrel...having fired hundreds from a Sears(Winchester) pump and a Ruger 10/22(single feed), that's just not so...I've taken dozens of squirrels in my backyard using the CB Short (CCI)...many with only one shot to the chest area...at ranges 30-40 feet...wouldn't trust one to mercifully dispatch a larger animal...
...one caution...when shooting them in the house, use a soft padded backstop...they have bounced off a 2x4 and they smart a little...shooting from a 4" revolver, two out of nine didn't penetrate enough to stay in the wood at about 12'...I use a bucket of towels now...

...if I'd had these instead of CO2 powered BB pistols as a sprout, red squirrels would be on the endangered species list...too soon old...too late smart...

AEA

Post by AEA »

Yea, that CO2 stuff was pretty lame (and still is).
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”