Andy Griffith - Times have changed

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TDDude
Posts in topic: 1

Andy Griffith - Times have changed

Post by TDDude »

Was watching Andy Griffith and it was the one where Opie wants to win his dad a razor at the carnival. Looks like he was shooting a Winchester 61 Pump .22.

Imagine that, live fire at a carnival!! The Horror!! The Horror!!!

:lol:: :lol:: :lol::
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Andy Griffith - Times have changed

Post by Keith B »

TDDude wrote:Was watching Andy Griffith and it was the one where Opie wants to win his dad a razor at the carnival. Looks like he was shooting a Winchester 61 Pump .22.

I can personally remember shooting galleries at the Fair and Carnivals when I was a kid that used .22 shorts.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

EricB

Post by EricB »

Keith B wrote:
TDDude wrote:Was watching Andy Griffith and it was the one where Opie wants to win his dad a razor at the carnival. Looks like he was shooting a Winchester 61 Pump .22.

I can personally remember shooting galleries at the Fair and Carnivals when I was a kid that used .22 shorts.
Yessir... Born in the mid-Fifties, and growing up in SE Kansas I can remember the various county fairs had shooting galleries with .22 short rifles.
Seems like a lifetime ago! :shock:

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

My parents kept the rifles in the front-room closet.

My Grandparents kept the rifles on the front porch (enclosed).

I am the oldest of four boys. We never had a mishap.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Purplehood wrote:My parents kept the rifles in the front-room closet.

My Grandparents kept the rifles on the front porch (enclosed).

I am the oldest of four boys. We never had a mishap.
Those days the rifles were trained to stay put, nowadays they just run willy nilly all over the place by themselves so they need leashes and locks :willynilly:
Never know when one might "just go off" :lol:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

karder

Post by karder »

I love those old shows. I was watching an old Daniel Boone episode on Sunday. No violence, no sex, no uncomfortable moments that need to be explained to the kids. Sure the story lines were simplistic and there was a goofy edge to it, but that is ok with me. Somehow popular entertainment morphed in Jersey Shore. I don't know how that happened, but I'll stick with the old re-runs. Gotta go, Bonanza is about to start!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I liked Andy Griffith as a kid, but wasn't really into the Westerns my Dad liked. I would usually go do other things when those were on. Today, I love to watch the old Andy Griffith, Bonanza and Gunsmoke reruns. I even like The Walton's. When that was on, if I tried to change the channel, my Dad would get almost as mad as Mom would if I tried to change the channel during 'The Guiding Light' :mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Isn't there a .22 used just for carnivals and such that has no powder but only the cap?

Edit: Found it... a .22 colibri
Last edited by wgoforth on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FuziDave

Post by FuziDave »

not to hijack the .22 thread (or was it an old tv show thread :))

i've been watching Andy Griffith & Dick Van Dyke Show on Netflix. when there's nothing on worth watching (which is 99% of the time) i'll pop in Dick Van Dyke Show, which has 159 episodes on Netflix. so i got plenty of time :)
FuziDave

fishfree

Post by fishfree »

wgoforth wrote:Isn't there a .22 used just for carnivals and such that has no powder but only the cap?

You can still buy cb cap rounds that are 22 short with little or no powder; just the primer in some brands IIRC... basically converts the .22 into a pellet gun in terms of noise and lethality. Just google "cb caps .22".

now back to the regularly scheduled programming:
Cheyenne (just watched an episode with James Garner and Michael Landon in bit parts)
Wagon Train
Gunsmoke
Twilight Zone (every day at lunch now :-)
Hitchcock Presents

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The rounds may have been Colibri's. I do remember there were two games that I shot .22. One was a regular animated shooting gallery (ducks, birds, bunnies, etc) all moving across the backstop. The other was a paper target with 5 stars and you had to get the bullet hole inside the star, one shot each, and not touch the line outline of the star.

If I remember right both of them used a rifle similar to the Winchester 61
Keith

FL450

Post by FL450 »

I still watch Andy Griffith, seen every episode. The show doesnt get old.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Keith B wrote:I liked Andy Griffith as a kid, but wasn't really into the Westerns my Dad liked. I would usually go do other things when those were on. Today, I love to watch the old Andy Griffith, Bonanza and Gunsmoke reruns. I even like The Walton's. When that was on, if I tried to change the channel, my Dad would get almost as mad as Mom would if I tried to change the channel during 'The Guiding Light' :mrgreen:
I not only grew up with REAL guns, but also I used to watch war movies with my dad (and some Westerns). Stuff like Sands of Iwo Jima and The Longest Day (pretty much ANYTHING with John Wayne in it). We also hunted: rabbits, birds, deer...so firearms where I grew up were tools, and it was all about the use you put them to that mattered. I still like the older movies the best, BTW, even if the special effects aren't as good.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

wgoforth wrote:Isn't there a .22 used just for carnivals and such that has no powder but only the cap?

Predating the Colibri by more than 100 years was the BB (Bulleted Breech) cap, and quite common in the county fair guns. I used to win at those fairly regularly, it was primarily a matter of getting the carny to let you use the same gun often enough to find out how far off its sights were and then using "Kentucky Windage" to run the score up. Most of the carnies would take notice if you kept using the same gun over and over and would make you change guns, but if you were sneaky enough you could get away with it, particularly noting that the carnies took breaks and moved from booth to booth. It helped that I didn't hit my growth spurt until I was almost 16, so I still looked like a kid even when I was an active NRA competitor.

One old carny switched me to a little gun that had the front sight bent almost 90 degrees, but after a few shots I had it figured out and put all my shots in the center of the star before he had a chance to switch me to another gun, and then when he was trying show me that all the shots hadn't made it through the center of the star, the piece of target that he had stuck to his finger fell off.

Got a big (6 foot) stuffed shark for my date out of that one, but I wound up carrying it.

A couple of other things the carnies used to do was not clean the guns, and some had the rifling, if not removed, at least severely compromised.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

alvins

Post by alvins »

just about anything on the hallmark channel is terrible. the waltons is the worst. i guess you can guess my age.lol

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”