Gun Shows

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Texasdoc
Posts in topic: 1

Gun Shows

Post by Texasdoc »

I just got back from the Saxon Gun show in Austin and I was alarmed to see a real 30.06 sign. Are all gun shows doing this or is it a Austin the Capital of the Libb's???

I think that gun shows should allow you to carry,as I was leaving there was a group outside calling everyone that left a Gun nut and gun crazy .

When I told the Austin P.D. officer inside he told me they have the right to say and be there. this is my last Show I will be going to in Austin.

Paul

tomneal

Insurance?

Post by tomneal »

I suspect it's insurance or ignorance related.

In Houston, all the gun shows are in government owned buildings. After SB501 went into law in 2003, you can't post a government building. Gun shows still posted. I haven't been to one in a year but I do know that there was some concern that the NRA would post it's annual meeting. That concerned faded away and there was no posting.

The NRA meet in the same building that some of the gun shows use.
The NRA didn't post.
In the past, Gun Shows DID post.

I guess my point is:
Austin isn't the only place gun shows are posted.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

one eyed fatman
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by one eyed fatman »

I don't go anywhere they post a 30.06 sign. Especially a gun show. How embarrassing can it get when a gun show post a 30.06 sign? :oops:

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "How embarrassing can it get when a gun show post a 30.06 sign?"

Far less embarrassing than when some idiot (statistically, especially some VENDORS) takes out his personal piece to show it off and a round gets lit off in the midst of 5,000 people! It happens - way too often. "No-loaded-guns-except-LEOs" rule was in effect at most gun shows in DFW area LONG before 30.06 came about. And for very good reasons.

Thankfully, places like Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabella's, Bachman's and Cheaper Than Dirt often have stuff close to gun show prices - without quite the density of idiots. :wink:

Quote: "there was a group outside calling everyone that left a Gun nut and gun crazy . "

Negligent discharges in gun shows can be not only quite detrimental to those catching the lead, but, unfortunately, give uneeded ammo to such folks - and the media. Think about it ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Braden

Post by Braden »

Greybeard wrote:Far less embarrassing than when some idiot (statistically, especially some VENDORS) takes out his personal piece to show it off and a round gets lit off in the midst of 5,000 people!
Amen to that!!!
Thankfully, places like Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabella's, Bachman's and Cheaper Than Dirt often have stuff close to gun show prices - without quite the density of idiots.
And to that too!! :wink:
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

So when we are so bright and intelligent in the interest of safety that we don't trust each other with guns and ammo how can we expect anyone else too? Should we not put gas in our car so we can't drive so we won't have an accident. Should we outlaw gun shows so nobody gets hurt? That will make us look good. No matter where you go, no matter what you do, accidents happen. It's just a fact of life. If we don't trust each other then we are all dead without a shot fired. And the anti gunners can just kick back and watch us destroy our self's. Get real guy's. We don't need to be our own best enemy.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

This fat man agrees with the other fat man. If we can't trust ourselves then its over now. The last thing we want it to do the anti's job for them.

As with anything else, when guns and humans are mixed there will be negligint discharges. It is unavoidable. Some people are stupid. That stupidity more often than not doesn't go unpunished. Unfortunately some innocents will pay for that stupidity.

Bad thing are going to happen. My momma always tought me that we have to take the good with the bad.

Wayne

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I'm kinda pudgy, so I guess I'll file in with the "big" crowd on this one...

A family member dropped a knife on my big toe this last weekend...I still have the toe...Accidents happen, and to the best of us...

Ya'll would have loved it, if I had the notion to get a picture of that!!!

And I'd still trust that person, even after the fact...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

As a former cop, I guess I understand the need for and purpose behind a sterlile area.

I have ZERO problems with restrictions on carrying a loaded weapon into a gun show.

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

If it remains concealed like it is supposed to I don't see how it is really a problem. If you whip it out to show old Billy Bob then that's a problem. Gun shows have guns and ammo so it's not like a nutcase couldn't combine the two if he really wanted to.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

txinvestigator wrote:As a former cop, I guess I understand the need for and purpose behind a sterlile area.

I have ZERO problems with restrictions on carrying a loaded weapon into a gun show.
I have a big problem with the restrictions. Waht exactly is a "sterile" area?

Has there ever been a case where a CHL holder has pulled thier weapon and starting hosing others? I am being serious with this question as I have not heard of this happening. I know that people have been shot at qa gun show, but it is usually the case of someone being an idiot as in previous posts.

A person who has completed all of the state requirements to obtain a CHL should not be barred from carrying anywhere. The only exception to this should be private business who post the proper notifications.

rickb308

Post by rickb308 »

Greybeard wrote:Quote: "How embarrassing can it get when a gun show post a 30.06 sign?"

Far less embarrassing than when some idiot (statistically, especially some VENDORS) takes out his personal piece to show it off and a round gets lit off in the midst of 5,000 people! It happens - way too often. "No-loaded-guns-except-LEOs" rule was in effect at most gun shows in DFW area LONG before 30.06 came about. And for very good reasons.

Negligent discharges in gun shows can be not only quite detrimental to those catching the lead, but, unfortunately, give uneeded ammo to such folks - and the media. Think about it ...
If those are the excuses used, they need to post police stations
with a "No LEO Carry" rule.

i.e., "Infamous DEA Agent" & the "I'm the only one professional enough to carry"...

"It happens - way too often."

"takes out his personal piece to show it off and a round gets lit off in the midst of a squad room"...

"Negligent discharges in police stations, squad cars, etc. can be not only quite detrimental to those catching the lead, but, unfortunately, give uneeded ammo to such folks....."

Squad cars, shotguns, & verticle shotgun racks do not mix. :P
Rick Bowen
TSRA Life Member
lex talionis
I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on the internet.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

txinvestigator wrote:As a former cop, I guess I understand the need for and purpose behind a sterlile area.

I have an idea about what that "need" and "purpose" of having a "sterile" area...

At "gun shows", the "proximity" of "ammo" and "firearms" that can actually "discharge" that "ammo" is just too much to "fathom"...

So if there are to be "restrictions", then whats good for the "goose" has to be good for the "gander"...

That being the case, then everyone, regardless of their status or not, uniformed or not, clear and safe their weapons, if they want to enter...No exceptions...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I do not understand how 30.06 can be enforced even at private property gun shows, and here is why:

The law makes no distinction between loaded and unloaded guns. If you are a CHL holder and go into a 30.06 gun show with an unloaded gun in a gun case, are you not breaking the law just the same as if you were carrying a concealed and loaded gun? Possession is possession.

If you do not have a CHL and are travelling, going to a sporting event, etc... the law makes no distinction about it being unloaded or loaded, so the above would apply I would think.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Baytown wrote:I do not understand how 30.06 can be enforced even at private property gun shows, and here is why: . . .
You're right and that's the Catch 22!

A 30.06 violation does not hinge on whether a gun is loaded or unloaded. If you cross the sign with a pistol that has not been shown to the LEO's at the door, then you have committed a criminal trespass, whether the gun is loaded or unloaded. If the promoter allows you to enter, after you let the LEO at the door inspect the gun to prove it's unloaded and tie it down, then he has given you permission to enter and the 30.06 sign means nothing. Here is the interesting part. In my opinion, the 30.06 sign does not later become effective if you go to the restroom and reload your pistol. I am not suggesting you do that! In fact, I strongly counsel against it.

The bottom line is a 30.06 sign is a poor way to achieve what the gun show promoters want; i.e. only unloaded guns in the building. That said, I know of no better alternative and promoters may be in a situation like the old joke about "you can't get there from here."

Regards,
Chas.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”