Thoughts on what to carry for small framed people.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
OrangeAnimal
Posts in topic: 6

Thoughts on what to carry for small framed people.

Post by OrangeAnimal »

OK lets start with this. I am just downright skinny. My normal dress is blue jeans and either a polo or t shirt. Nothing too tight as I don't need any help to look super thin. I am 6ft and 150lbs. Now I can conceal my p238 worn own all day long. But I would like to get something different looking at a Springfield xd sub compact in 9mm or I could take the g26 from the wife. What do our small framed members like carrying and why. No pocket guns or anything smaller than 9mm.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Thoughts on what to carry for small framed people.

Post by speedsix »

...got a good friend who's 5'7" and 130...carries a P90 IWB appendix all day with a shirttail out...and two mags in a back pocket...with some of the wind we've had, I'm trying to get him to increase it to 4 mags...he needs the ballast...the key is a good belt that keeps the gun close...
Last edited by speedsix on Mon May 21, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by karl »

I'm 5'10" and 135 lbs and I carry a commander 1911. It's all about the forward cant for me. I wear slightly longer shirts now to help with the concealing. I don't think large frame pistols are hard to conceal at all, it's the weight that gets at you in the beginning.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
OrangeAnimal

Post by OrangeAnimal »

The weight is alot but I know a nice belt will help that issue alot. I do wear a forward cant with both the block and the sig. It seems to get the hand grip in closer and narrows the profile of the gun. Seems a medium weight dark colored shirt hides best. I am not a huge fan of iwb though. It really digs in. The only other thing is I keep my wallet in my right pocket so i am going to just have to switch to the left. Its hard to get it out if i have it in my right if i wear owb. Just one of those little things I will have to get used to. I am weird cause I am mostly left handed except with shooting and a few other activities. That throws the balance off for me.

Here are some guns I have considered the xd SC the g26 the emp although not sure I want to cough up the dough for it. Really trying to stick to the 9mm hate having lots of different ammo around. Been there. If i were more patient I would wait for the p938 so i could see how performs. I have looked at a ton of 1911 style options cause I really like it. But not too many in 9mm unless I go custom and spend crazy money. I like the kimber but I feel you pay alot for the name. Although I did pay 500 for a. 380 lol. Go figure. I do have to say I love the p238. If you haven't had the chance to fire one do yourself a favor and check one out.

mark olindale

Post by mark olindale »

I'm a bit on the smaller side. I carry a G19 or a Ruger sp101 with a recessed hammer. I am able to conceal them pretty easy and I don't have to really worry about my wardrobe to much.

terryg

Post by terryg »

I like to think that I am still on the skinny side ... but not nearly as much as I used to be (6' 3" @ 160 lbs). Anyway, I carry the Ruger SR9c. It is, without question, one of the thinnest double stack 9mm's out there.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Look at the single-stack 9mm options out there. Personally, I'd recommend the Kahr CW9, but there are lots of good options. The single stack is going to be much easier and more comfortable to conceal IWB. Also, consider changing IWB holsters. The MTAC has been very comfortable for me, so much so that I could almost forget I'm wearing my CW9 at times.

Topic author
OrangeAnimal

Post by OrangeAnimal »

I do think single stack is the way to go. So many of them are dao and I really hate dao. I love my little sig p238 I know that they are coming out with the p938. Just been waiting to see one available for purchase. Next options are not cheap that I have looked at. Also even though I do own one I don't really like polymer framed guns.

snatchel
Posts in topic: 7

Post by snatchel »

I am a new fan and user of appendix style carry, and the beauty of it is that you can carry pretty much anything from a Glock 26 to a FN 5.7 once you have the mechanics all ironed out.

So, for comparison, I'm 5'7 and 170 lbs. not skinny, not fat...just thick built. I wear 32 waist pants. I began carrying at 4:00 with a hybrid kydex/leather holster and a G26. As I got more comfortable, I've progressed from a G26 and SP101 to a G30 and M&P 9c. I carry at 4:00 still occasionally, but after a forum friend encouraged me to try appendix, I have fallen in love.

The beauty of appendix carry is that once the holster/belt combination is figured out, it is comfy, blazing fast, and discreet. You know the hollow between your thigh and groin, and just below your hip? Well, I am convinced that this hollow was put there intentionally by God to hide a handgun.

Here is where appendix becomes a pain: finding the right holster. A gunbelt is a no brainier-- gun+holster weighs quite a bit, and your typical fossil or CK or whatever belt doesn't cut it. The only ones who will disagree with me are those who haven't used a gunbelt yet. Then you have to find a holster that is minimalist enough not to be cumbersome, yet covers enough gun to keep the trigger covered. The holster has to sit at just the right height on your belt to ride comfortably. It took me a while to figure out what combination I needed. My buddies all use WRB holsters, I use desantis tuck-this, with some personal alterings.

So, in my opinion, you can easily carry something along the lines of a G21/G30-- neither of which are small guns, when carrying appendix. It's all about the holster and gunbelt.

If you really want a gun recommendation, I have found that the Smith and Wesson M&P 9compact is an excellent gun to conceal. It beats the heck out of my old Glock 26 in looks, grip, and carry comfort if not functionality. They are reliable, sturdy, and shoot well.
No More Signature

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

snatchel wrote:I am a new fan and user of appendix style carry, and the beauty of it is that you can carry pretty much anything from a Glock 26 to a FN 5.7 once you have the mechanics all ironed out.
Speedsix got in first, but snatchel gave the most explanation.

Appendix carry (AC) is typically not suited to those with, as Gabe Suarez puts it, "successful lifestyle bodies." If you have a good deal of abdomen to work with, it likely will never be comfortable or practical. For guys (and gals!) that aren't carrying to much in the front of the ol' rectus abdominis--and are willing to try it--I think appendix carry should be given a shot...pardon the pun.

Depending upon how high you wear your belt, barrel length could come into play. But otherwise, as snatchel noted, it's mainly a matter of getting a good holster that has some adjustability to it (cant and ride-height) and experimenting. Particularly for guys who are pretty much straight up and down, chest to hips, when viewed from the front, and women who have some natural hip curvature, appendix carry may not only be practical, but perhaps the most concealable location.

And tactically it's a very good choice. Whatever has your attention will likely be somewhere in the 180-degree plane facing in front of you, and when you track the amount of muzzle movement required to present the gun from AC to a position angled to your right, to your left, or straight ahead, AC wins out on the average of all three. It's also a very strong position if a hand-to-hand encounter requires assuring retention in holster. And if your cover garment is a one-piece and has to be lifted out of the way (as opposed to an open shirt or vest that can be swept out of the way for hip carry), it takes less motion and is more secure getting the garment out of the way of the appendix position rather than if carried at three or four o'clock.

Just sayin' it might be worth a try...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Springfield xd sub compact in 9mm or I could take the g26
Either of those and/or a Keltec P11 with the 12 round magazine (for 13 rounds) and a keltec belt clip

I carry the Glock 26, with a Glock 19 mag and the soft rubber mag spacer (I put a +3 Pierce mag extension on it too for 18+1 rounds)

And I pocket carry the P11, but can IWB it with the "clip" (not magazine)
Personally, I cut an old eyeglasses case which slips over the barrel+trigger when I carry with the P11 clipped IWB

=================

It isn't so much the body type or gun size as the correct belt and holster carry system. I carry at 3:00 ... I'm 6'0 and range between 160 and 190 depending on Supper ... CompTac Kydex reinforced belt and a hybrid holster (or, I use the Desantis Tuck This 2 with Velcro I added, and Velcro on the belt from the factory)

Additionally ... Appendix carry (AC) is typically not suited to those with ... Inguinal hernias ... and I want more desert than it allows ...
Last edited by RPB on Wed May 23, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

snatchel wrote:So, for comparison, I'm 5'7 and 170 lbs. not skinny, not fat...just thick built.
Now, I want you all to know that I've met the man. Think: fireplug with tats and big grin. :mrgreen:
Skiprr wrote:Appendix carry (AC) is typically not suited to those with, as Gabe Suarez puts it, "successful lifestyle bodies." If you have a good deal of abdomen to work with, it likely will never be comfortable or practical. For guys (and gals!) that aren't carrying to much in the front of the ol' rectus abdominis--and are willing to try it--I think appendix carry should be given a shot...pardon the pun.
I would love to be able to carry that way. Being of somewhat prosperous proportions myself, it ain't gonna happen any time soon. :cryin
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

I was looking for a similar thing. I Had a G19 and an LCP. The weight and ease of concealing the LCP spoiled me a bit. It's easy to put on before i run out of the house on an errand etc. My issue is that I want to carry a 9mm, not .380. I started comparing dimensions and weight of the sub-compact nines. I also read what i could find on reliability, everyone has a pro and con on just about everything but i could usually find some consensus. I ended up getting a G26 since it can take the same mags and I can use the same holsters I have for my G19. I find that I am still considering a single stack, just to get that little bit thinner and lighter.

I saw someone else mentioned the CW9. I was strongly looking at the CM9, it's less $$$. I also like the Baretta Nano but the CM9 is still lighter and the Nano feels a little front heavy to me. Other than that, I like it alot.

So my .02 look at Kahr CM9 and Baretta Nano. If you don't want DAO, then I know the solo is out there but I've not read too much on those. I know they are not cheap.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Someone: Please chime in and inform myself and others of the "appendix carry" draw.

I envision a holster inside the pants, down near the family area, and believe that to draw you'd
have to make a time-consuming groping move down into your pants in order to retrieve your handgun.

Then you'd have to bring it up and over your belt and waistband, and then face the threat. This doesn't sound very appealing.

Am I missing something here? It seems to me that standard IWB or OWB holsters with a cover garment would
still give you good concealment, a faster draw, and the gun wouldn't be in such a sensitive area as you drive
or sit down.

TIA / SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

snatchel
Posts in topic: 7

Post by snatchel »

Gimmie 5 mins and I'll post visual aid.
No More Signature

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”