Good/Low price store on bulk ammo of 5.56/.223 of +100count?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
x007x
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Good/Low price store on bulk ammo of 5.56/.223 of +100co

Post by x007x »

I went to walmart online to look at the stores that sell it.. Found out that 3 of them sell it.. I go to the stores one by one due to find out that none of the stores actually carry the bulk ammo. irritated me off cause I wasted the gas.. I did call all of them but the people were putting me on hold for more than 5 min to see if they have it...It is not hard to see a giant ammo crate behind the counter. They were clueless on the phone to what I was talking about.
-CHL-
-NRA-

jmra
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jmra »

x007x wrote:I went to walmart online to look at the stores that sell it.. Found out that 3 of them sell it.. I go to the stores one by one due to find out that none of the stores actually carry the bulk ammo. irritated me off cause I wasted the gas.. I did call all of them but the people were putting me on hold for more than 5 min to see if they have it...It is not hard to see a giant ammo crate behind the counter. They were clueless on the phone to what I was talking about.
If you go to Walmart's website you can actually see which stores have it in stock. Select your store, if it says "out of stock" you can select to view other stores. Usually it will display about 15 stores (stores within 50 miles). Most of the stores I have found it in say "limited stock" which so far has meant 3 - 5 cases. Every store that I have gone to that displayed "limited stock" has had it when I arrived. At several stores I have had to ask them to bring it out from the back and have had to to show them on my phone that they actually have it in stock. After my purchase I immediately check the site again and it will show "out of stock" for that store. So the inventory update appears to be real time.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
x007x

Post by x007x »

jmra wrote:
x007x wrote:I went to walmart online to look at the stores that sell it.. Found out that 3 of them sell it.. I go to the stores one by one due to find out that none of the stores actually carry the bulk ammo. irritated me off cause I wasted the gas.. I did call all of them but the people were putting me on hold for more than 5 min to see if they have it...It is not hard to see a giant ammo crate behind the counter. They were clueless on the phone to what I was talking about.
If you go to Walmart's website you can actually see which stores have it in stock. Select your store, if it says "out of stock" you can select to view other stores. Usually it will display about 15 stores (stores within 50 miles). Most of the stores I have found it in say "limited stock" which so far has meant 3 - 5 cases. Every store that I have gone to that displayed "limited stock" has had it when I arrived. At several stores I have had to ask them to bring it out from the back and have had to to show them on my phone that they actually have it in stock. After my purchase I immediately check the site again and it will show "out of stock" for that store. So the inventory update appears to be real time.

I did to that and 3 stores near me says limited stock. So, I went to the nearest one and I was told "We do not carry them, and believe me I get asked about 50 times a day." I said forget it because I was not in the mood or had the time to drive to Downtown Houston and back again, so I went to academy and got it there and paid the extra $25.00
-CHL-
-NRA-

Vecco
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vecco »

Wal Mart... Fedral 5.56/223 55g box 100, 39.99 400 rounds 120.00

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

And then there's this! 12,500 rounds of Federal 62gr for $4,999.99 at Academy. 40 cents a round....... I would think you would get a bigger discount on such a quantity, guess not. The ArmsList has the same barrel-O-ammo for $4,250. Oh yeah, then there's the $350+ for shipping. :shock:

Topic author
x007x

Post by x007x »

Vecco wrote:Wal Mart... Fedral 5.56/223 55g box 100, 39.99 400 rounds 120.00
I didn't see that deal.. I'll have to look again.
-CHL-
-NRA-

jmra

Post by jmra »

x007x wrote:
I'm a little confused. Wouldn't 400 rounds at 39.99/100 actually be $160?
That is basically the same price as 420 rounds of the lake city 5.56 that comes with the ammo can.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Vecco

Post by Vecco »

jmra wrote:
x007x wrote:
That is basically the same price as 420 rounds of the lake city 5.56 that comes with the ammo can.

Yes 4x 4 =16 Still, my bad.. Buit at WM, you can get it today and not pay Shiiping and Haz Mat.. just another option.

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by howdy »

Mother of all .556 ammo buys.....Academy has a 30 gal drum with 12,500 rounds for $4999.99..limit 2.
Works out to be $8/20rds
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... =858982010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, I didn't see this already posted.
Last edited by howdy on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
x007x

Post by x007x »

But I don't have 5k to spend. If I did, I would prob buy new weapons and upgrade my car to better stuff.
-CHL-
-NRA-

jmra

Post by jmra »

Vecco wrote:
jmra wrote:
x007x wrote:

Yes 4x 4 =16 Still, my bad.. Buit at WM, you can get it today and not pay Shiiping and Haz Mat.. just another option.
The ammo can with the 420 rounds of lake city green tip on strippers is in stock at 4 Walmart's with 15 miles of where I live. No shipping, no hazmat.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

cajunautoxer

Post by cajunautoxer »

If I could find a deal on 12k ends of XM193 I'd jump on it

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

A suggestion. If you want a general check on a current, realistic street price for just about any type of ammo, try this site: http://gun-deals.com/ammo.

This is a free site, with user-submitted data. There are almost 10,000 registered users adding new info, and flagging info they find to be inaccurate. Just select the caliber you're interested in. In the resultant display, you can click on the column headings to sort the listing by that field. The results will also include an estimate of shipping costs (and no- or flat-rate-fee if applicable) if you enter your zip code.

Years ago, I used to try to maintain an Excel spreadsheet with a history of commercial ammo pricing that I'd found, by manufacturer, for the calibers I use. Once Gun-Deals.com got up to speed, I gave up on the labor-intensive spreadsheet...though I do admit having a multi-year history of retail pricing would be interesting. I still wish I'd cashed out my 401(k) eight or 10 years ago and sunk it all into ammo. :???:

But I always check Gun-Deals.com before any retail purchase that will total over a hundred bucks or so. It's the most accurate barometer I've found to see what's selling for how much during the past few days and weeks.

'Course, when evaluating total cost, I recommend you always use the final, includes-everything figure. As x007x experienced, you have to factor in not only sales tax but also your personal time and travel expenses when you buy local. The current IRS allowance is 55.5 cents per mile for business miles driven; 23 cents per mile for medical or moving purposes. Take your pick. Take your pick, too, on how much your personal time is worth. You may want to wash it for supporting local retail, or just count it as minimum wage; that's your choice.

Oh, and BTW, there is no HazMat fee on loaded, commercial ammo. Shipping and handling is levied by the seller, and that's all there is; no federal fees.

I look at the total, includes-everything cost, and break it down to cost-per-round for comparison. For example, a couple of weeks ago Sportsman's Guide ran an ad for $4.99 flat-fee shipping, and I had a $20 discount code. I picked up 1,000 rounds of Fiocchi .45 ACP ball ammo for $320.76 (including shipping, the discount, and a 99-cent optional package protection fee). That worked out to 32 cents per round. Best price for the same ammo listed on Gun-Deals.com was at ABLE's for $336.40 plus $25.33 shipping, or 36.2 cents per round. So I snagged the deal from Sportsman's Guide.

And compare apples to apples. For example, a lot of ranges will not allow you to shoot .223 green-tip penetrators. I would put the "penetrators" part in quotation marks because, well, they really ain't all that penetrating when you consider the same range will probably allow you shoot much heavier--and more penetrating--supersonic rifle rounds. But range rules are range rules. If you buy a case of green-tips and find you can't shoot them at the range you normally use, they may simply sit in your closet awaiting TEOTWAWKI.

And though I might be able to, I never use steel-cased ammo in my AR-15s or my Stoner-like gas-piston rifles. Just a personal choice. Kalashnikovs, absolutely: they were made for it. So price-comparisons between a Wolf or Brown Bear or Tula steel-cased 5.56 ammo and brass, reloadable ammo is, well, like comparing Granny Smith and Red Delicious apples at the least. :mrgreen:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Vecco

Post by Vecco »

The ammo can with the 420 rounds of lake city green tip on strippers is in stock at 4 Walmart's with 15 miles of where I live. No shipping, no hazmat.
Thanks thats great info.. if you go to WM home page, you can see what stores carry the 420 round ammo can. :hurry: Thanks. thats a great buy.

One needs to ask, why on Clips? what modern gun in 5.56/223 can use a clip? anyone know of one? I am sure there must be one or more.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Vecco wrote:One needs to ask, why on Clips? what modern gun in 5.56/223 can use a clip? anyone know of one? I am sure there must be one or more.
It is a quick way to load the AR magazine.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”