In my quest for a pocket pistol, I have questions...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Dave2
Posts in topic: 5

In my quest for a pocket pistol, I have questions...

Post by Dave2 »

I've come to the conclusion that I should have a pocket pistol, and for logistical reasons I'm limiting myself to 9mm.

Of the many choices, I've shot three:
  • Ruger LC9 — It's alright. I've never shot a gun which was so easy to not anticipate recoil with... mostly because it only actually fired about a third of the time... which in my mind isn't actually too bad considering that its firing pin had broken... I view it as kind of a wash. On the one hand, how do you break a firing pin? On the other, how does a gun with a broken firing pin go off at all? In any case, I've a poor record of remembering thumb safeties at the range, so its probably near the bottom of the list.
  • Glock 26 — Not too bad. The "standard" Glock criticisms apply, plus, even for someone as big as I am, it seems a bit on the thick side for a pocket pistol. I think I could live with it as long as I can find ways to avoid sitting in well-lit areas, but realistically I think its thickness puts it next to the LC9.
  • Walther PPS — By far my current favorite. If it weren't for its limited magazine capacity, I'd be ok with it for my EDC. Its recoil is a bit much for me to call it "fun to shoot", but not by much. Its mag release is a different than my current EDC's, but I'm probably going to switch that over to a PPQ anyway (my new favorite handgun). Also, I haven't had any trouble remembering weird mag releases in the past, either on the rented PPS or my S&W 22A (which is more than I can say about the thumb safeties on two of the handguns which I actually own), so I'm not too worried about it.
Still on my to-shoot list:
  • Kahr PM/CM9 — I've heard so much good about them that I've almost bought a used PM9 twice, without first verifying that I like the way it handles.
  • Sig P290 — Dry-firing one at the counter when they first came out, I really didn't like its trigger. The one at Gunmasters a week ago seemed to be a fair bit better than I'd recalled, so maybe they're ok now (or maybe it just takes a while for their triggers to smooth out).
  • Sig P938 — the P238 is the only .380 I've shot that I actually liked, so maybe that's indicative of how I'll feel about its 9mm brother? I have a slight reservation about its reliability from a youtube review. I'll have to look it up again and check how long ago the guy made it. If it was back when they first came out, I'm sure Sig's got it taken care of by now. Either way, though, unless I just love this gun, its high cost and thumb safety make it probably my least likely choice.
  • Beretta Nano — I know a guy who loves his, but... it seems a bit tall compared to its grip... like it'd have a lot of muzzle flip... might be trying to give me the "slip"... (I'm a poet and I didn't know it! :mrgreen: )
Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, or suggestions? Am I overlooking anything? I already know I don't like how the Keltec PF9 feels, which is why it's not on my to-shoot list. If I have time after running some errands, I'm probably going to go to the range this afternoon and see what I can rent from the list, so maybe I'll be able to update my own thoughts on the matter this evening.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: In my quest for a pocket pistol, I have questions...

Post by RPB »

I like my Taurus PT709 slim with aftermarket grip extension mag base/floor plates-
and for front pocket capacity I like the Keltec P11 with the 12 round mag, though sights could be better and DAO trigger

Although I like the Keltec P11 http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/p-11/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(similar to an SCCY, but SCCY has an option to have a safety, and has added features since they evolved http://www.sccy.com/cpx1tt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
i dislike the Keltec PF9; it hurts my thumb bone with the squared-ish beaver tail area.

Glock 26 is my primary IWB, I'll buy another when someone closer to me sells one.
PM/CM9 I've wanted to try for years, hear a lot of good about them
PPS I almost bought once when they first came out, but started reading about some failure as many guns have when they first arrive to market.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

snatchel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by snatchel »

I think you should really look further into the Kahr CM9. That thing is amazing. My wife has the CW9... a tad bitter, but still pocketable. I will trade my LCP in for a CM9 as soon as I get the chance.
No More Signature

MikeStone

Post by MikeStone »

I've posted a couple times about my P938. I like it. (Small) size plus (9mm) power plus the thumb safety (preference) is why I went that way. I've got 350 rounds through it with one FTE.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

- Thomas Jefferson

Geaux_loaded

Post by Geaux_loaded »

I'd give the LC9 a second look, maybe try one with a working firing pin :lol: . I've had mine for a month and put 800 rounds down range without a single malfunction. some 12gr blaser, 115 gr speer lawman, WWB, and 200 double tap 124gr +p JHPs. I agree with most reviewers that the trigger pull is far too long, but the weight isn't bad. Also the little bit of grittiness went away after a few hundred rounds. The slide safety is easy to switch off with your right thumb, but hard to re engage (which seems to me like it wouldn't come back on in my pocket holster, but I make a point of practicing turning it off during my draw.)
That said the P938 is a sweet looking and nice shooting gun. If it wasn't twice as much as the LC9 odds are I'd have one in my pocket as I'm typing this.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Geaux_loaded wrote:I'd give the LC9 a second look, maybe try one with a working firing pin :lol: . I've had mine for a month and put 800 rounds down range without a single malfunction. some 12gr blaser, 115 gr speer lawman, WWB, and 200 double tap 124gr +p JHPs. I agree with most reviewers that the trigger pull is far too long, but the weight isn't bad. Also the little bit of grittiness went away after a few hundred rounds. The slide safety is easy to switch off with your right thumb, but hard to re engage (which seems to me like it wouldn't come back on in my pocket holster, but I make a point of practicing turning it off during my draw.)
That said the P938 is a sweet looking and nice shooting gun. If it wasn't twice as much as the LC9 odds are I'd have one in my pocket as I'm typing this.
I agree. I have about 1200 rounds in my LC9 shooting the cheapest shells that Academy carries. One of the pluses with this gun if looking for pocket carry is it's tapered and low profile design. This gun slides in and out of my IWB and pockets without ever catching. A little practice with the thumb safety and muscle memory takes over. This gun replaced my favorite S&W 642 Hammerless Airweight.

And to the op, a pocket carry will entail a smaller capacity mag. Good luck on your quest.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topic author
Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Jim Beaux wrote:
Geaux_loaded wrote:I'd give the LC9 a second look, maybe try one with a working firing pin :lol: . I've had mine for a month and put 800 rounds down range without a single malfunction. some 12gr blaser, 115 gr speer lawman, WWB, and 200 double tap 124gr +p JHPs. I agree with most reviewers that the trigger pull is far too long, but the weight isn't bad. Also the little bit of grittiness went away after a few hundred rounds. The slide safety is easy to switch off with your right thumb, but hard to re engage (which seems to me like it wouldn't come back on in my pocket holster, but I make a point of practicing turning it off during my draw.)
I agree. I have about 1200 rounds in my LC9 shooting the cheapest shells that Academy carries. One of the pluses with this gun if looking for pocket carry is it's tapered and low profile design. This gun slides in and out of my IWB and pockets without ever catching. A little practice with the thumb safety and muscle memory takes over. This gun replaced my favorite S&W 642 Hammerless Airweight.
Ok :mrgreen:
I still think I'd rather have a gun without a safety, but I'll cheerfully give it another try.
And to the op, a pocket carry will entail a smaller capacity mag. Good luck on your quest.
Oh I know. It's basically a choice between guns that are too thick (double-stack mags) or hold fewer rounds than I'd like (single-stack mags). Since "too thick" kinda defeats the purpose of concealed carry, I'll have to make do with "too few" for situations where I don't want to or can't take my normal EDC.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Dave2 wrote: Ok :mrgreen:
I still think I'd rather have a gun without a safety, but I'll cheerfully give it another try.
Put duct tape on the safety.... :smilelol5:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Dave2 wrote:I've come to the conclusion that I should have a pocket pistol, and for logistical reasons I'm limiting myself to 9mm.

Of the many choices, I've shot three:
  • Walther PPS — By far my current favorite. If it weren't for its limited magazine capacity, I'd be ok with it for my EDC. Its recoil is a bit much for me to call it "fun to shoot", but not by much. Its mag release is a different than my current EDC's, but I'm probably going to switch that over to a PPQ anyway (my new favorite handgun). Also, I haven't had any trouble remembering weird mag releases in the past, either on the rented PPS or my S&W 22A (which is more than I can say about the thumb safeties on two of the handguns which I actually own), so I'm not too worried about it.
Still on my to-shoot list:
  • Kahr PM/CM9 — I've heard so much good about them that I've almost bought a used PM9 twice, without first verifying that I like the way it handles.
I haven't fired the PPS, but I've fired PM9/CW9/CW45 Kahrs a number of times. I would think that recoil would be similar between the PPS and the PM9/CW9, which is to say about on a par with firing a 3" 1911 in .45 ACP.....or not bad at all.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Songbird
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Songbird »

The issue with the PPS was the slide stop on the older models. If you purchase one with the date code BB (2011) or BC (2012) you're fine. Walther corrected the slide stop issue sometime during 2010, so some of the BA's are the new slide stop, and some aren't. You also want to make sure you get model WAP10001 with the standard trigger. The model WAP10006 has the Mass. friendly heavier trigger. :thumbs2:

The PPS is my EDC and I absolutely love it!
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I have shot almost all the ones you mentioned and out of the single stacks the PPS and shield have the least amount of felt (perceived recoil) at least to me. The PPS and Shield are noticeably heavier and bigger then a Kahr Pm9. LC9, Shield and PPS are closer in size and weight then a PM9. Pm9 and Nano are similar in size and are truly pocket carries. While the LC9, PPS and Shield can be pocket carried but have a little bigger footprint and weight. Just depends on what you want? I personally like single stack 9mms a little bigger and a few extra ounces on them but go to a gun store and have them put them all side by side and see if you can fire any that fit your hand well. I only pocket carry my snub nose and like you I won't drop back down to the .380acp. CM9 fits the bill if you can shoot it well for pocket carry.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Put it this way I think the PPS is a better gun overall and for hip carry but If it prints to much in your pocket or is hard to draw your going to not carry it in the end. I can promise you that the micro 9mms like Kahr Cm9 and Nano will be easy to pocket carry.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Songbird wrote:The issue with the PPS was the slide stop on the older models. If you purchase one with the date code BB (2011) or BC (2012) you're fine. Walther corrected the slide stop issue sometime during 2010, so some of the BA's are the new slide stop, and some aren't. You also want to make sure you get model WAP10001 with the standard trigger. The model WAP10006 has the Mass. friendly heavier trigger. :thumbs2:

The PPS is my EDC and I absolutely love it!
September in 2010 (BA date code - check the spent casing for the date) was the last of the old slide stops. BA with October dates are with the new slide stops. The PPS is also my most-carried gun, but I'm not sure I'd call it a "pocket pistol", though certainly with big pockets, it could be. But, even though I'm a fairly big guy, the PPS is a bit big for the way most of my clothes are cut, so I carry it IWB. I also put a Viridian laser/light on it that adds a bit of bolk, but not much weight. So, bottom line for me - if you can carry the PPS in your pocket and are happy with the way it sits, then you should be happy with it as an EDC. I've got about two thousand rounds through mine - no mechanical failures and only one stovepipe, which was probably me riding the slide a bit.

The WAP10008 model has tritium night sites with the non-heavy trigger, BTW, so that's a good SKU to find as well.

As others have said, the LC-9 IS small and if it wasn't for that dadgummed trigger, I'd still have mine. But, after shooting it for a morning at the range, I put it back in the box after I cleaned it, and sold it the next week at the gun show. My bottom line on the LC-9: if you're going to shoot the gun for anything but a self-defense situation, then I wouldn't suggest it. If it's a last-resort gun that you'll shoot just for proficiency, then it'd probably do a good job for you. It's definitely not one that's fun to shoot at the range, though.

Life is good when there's so many choices, isn't it?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=58561" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a fantastic deal... PM9's run a bit higher than their CM9 counterpart... but they are the same exact size. This one comes with a bunch of mags & a pocket holster.... not a bad deal at all. If you can swing the cash, jump on it. You won't be disappointed.
No More Signature

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

my vote goes to khar, if yoy hve big pockets glock 26. im also a j-frame fan.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”