Looking for a new pocket knife

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
HenryAKirk
Posts in topic: 5

Looking for a new pocket knife

Post by HenryAKirk »

I have been on the hunt for a new EDC pocket knife, I have carried a Kershaw Vapor II for the past year or two and its a Good quality knife but its a little small for my Sasquatch hands, I can't really get a good grip on the handle with only three fingers. Lately I have been looking at the CRKT M16-14ZSF it looks big and i have only seen like one negative review on the "YouTube". I dont really care about the color of the handle it's kind of a wood grain looking tan witch is weird for a plastic handle. The serated part of the blade is small witch is a plus because I typically use my current knife to cut open boxes and bags at work and I dont saw through much but I dont know about the tanto shaped blade Is it supposed to be better for use as a pry-bar or what? Any thoughts would be nice...

http://www.crkt.com/M16-14-Z-Desert-Spe ... Combo-Edge
:patriot: Everyone has been given a gift in life...And warriors have been given the gift of aggression.These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs Lt. Col. Dave Grossman :txflag:

Topic author
HenryAKirk

Re: Looking for a new pocket knife

Post by HenryAKirk »

I also need a new small flashlight that is waterproof and super bright. any ideas?
:patriot: Everyone has been given a gift in life...And warriors have been given the gift of aggression.These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs Lt. Col. Dave Grossman :txflag:

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Post by A-R »

knife - look at Kershaw Blur series (very quick spring-assisted opening, very sharp blade - regular drop point with or without serrations, or tanto all offered
light - look at Fenix PD20 (size of a 12-gauge shotgun shell, but puts off 190 lumens of light)

just suggest these two because I've been very happy with both

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

I like this Kershaw Funxion:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've got huge hands and it works good for me as an EDC knife.
TSRA Life Memeber

Chris

Post by Chris »

I have carried this exact knife every day for 17 years. It does what it's supposed to, and it is quite large.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote:
HenryAKirk wrote:I dont know about the tanto shaped blade Is it supposed to be better for use as a pry-bar or what?
No, the tanto's point is designed for punching through things, not prying.

Choosing a knife for someone else is like trying to find them a wife, so I'm not even going to try - but good luck to you :)
Brides: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=russian+brides

Noyfe: http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces- ... Veff-Combo (good for big hands)

You're welcome. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
HenryAKirk

Post by HenryAKirk »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
AndyC wrote:
HenryAKirk wrote:I dont know about the tanto shaped blade Is it supposed to be better for use as a pry-bar or what?
No, the tanto's point is designed for punching through things, not prying.

Choosing a knife for someone else is like trying to find them a wife, so I'm not even going to try - but good luck to you :)
Brides: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=russian+brides

Noyfe: http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces- ... Veff-Combo (good for big hands)

You're welcome. :mrgreen:
That's a great looking knife it's definitely on "the short list".However the lovely Mrs Kirk didn't think the other was as funny as me "rlol"

Topic author
HenryAKirk

Post by HenryAKirk »

A-R Kershaw Black Blur by Ken Onion Assisted 3-3/8" Black Plain Edge Blade is also on the short list it looks pretty awesome and I like the spring assist. :thumbs2:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

HenryAKirk wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces- ... Veff-Combo (good for big hands)
That's a great looking knife it's definitely on "the short list". However the lovely Mrs Kirk didn't think the other was as funny as me "rlol"
Apologize to your wife for me. :lol:

I own one of these knives, and it has been my EDC for 2 or 3 years now. I also own a Kershaw Tanto Blur. The Kershaw is a very good knife, but I like the CRKT better....because I have kind of big hands too. Plus, I like that the flippers form a "hilt" on the CRKT, which will go a long way toward keeping your hands from sliding onto the blade edge.....and the Veff-designed serrations really are as sharp as the video demonstrates. The holes drilled in the flippers are deliberately sized to allow you to use 550 cord to lash the opened knife to a pole in order to fashion a spear. Even though the CRKT is not spring assisted, it deploys open for all practical purposes as fast as the Tanto Blur, which is spring assisted.

Either knife is pretty affordable for what it is.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Longshot38

Post by Longshot38 »

TAM has a very good suggestion. I prefer the M16-14SFG. But either is an excellent knife that offers excellent quality for a reasonable price.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

I have a CRKT M21 with no serrations and a spear point blade. It's been a good knife, and even survived a trip through the washing machine with no harm done. :biggrinjester:

My one complaint about the knife is that the blade seems to dull quicker than some of my nicer knives do. But for its price point, it's a lot of knife and I've not regretted buying it.
TANSTAAFL

cajunautoxer

Post by cajunautoxer »

I carry Emerson and they are great. I have 3 that I rotate between. Sometime next week I'm gonna go get a Zero Tolerance blade

koolaid

Post by koolaid »

Chris wrote:I have carried this exact knife every day for 17 years. It does what it's supposed to, and it is quite large.

I have two of these, and I started to get annoyed with them always slipping out of my pocket and getting lost in the couch. I recently picked up a Spyderco Endura, and I could not be happier. It is essentially the Police model but with a grippy surface and a better clip (with more positions available).
01/02/2010 - Plastic

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I love my spydercos and benchmades. I'm an ex squid and a sailor expects a lot out of their blades. Everyone on my destroyer carried one of these two. My daily carry is a benchmade griptillion 1/2 serrated tanto. This one is a #63 of 240 mel pardue. It can cut kevlar line all day long like its butter.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”