Making an Offer on a Gun?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
brazostaurus
Posts in topic: 2

Making an Offer on a Gun?

Post by brazostaurus »

New to forum, have question for you "vets." I have my eye on a Ruger P95 at a local gun shop, think they had it tagged at $319; anyone ever make an offer, as in, "I'll give you $300 out the door." Is this a no-no, or possibly just smart shopping. I figure with tax I'm looking at over/close to $350, figured it couldn't hurt. They can always say no. Any ideas?

Dreamliner
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Making an Offer on a Gun?

Post by Dreamliner »

Never hurt to ask.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MSRP for the gun is $399-$429, depending on features. $319 seems pretty reasonable for a new gun. Small gunstores that sell at a discounted price like that are already doing it at a fairly thin margin. Big sellers like Cabelas can make it up on volume a little bit. Make the offer if you want, but be ready to be declined in a rather brusque manner. Personally, I don't dicker with my local mom & pop gunstore's pricing. I want them to stay in business. If it is more than I can afford or more than I want to pay, and I have to have it, I'll look for it elsewhere, but I won't try to gyp them down.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Gameover

Post by Gameover »

I asked once back in phoenix and what I got was a firm no as he walked away. But I guess it cant hurt to ask. :mrgreen:
Question everything

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

at a pawn shop or a gun show, I would ask away, at a mom-and-pop shop, they probably have it marked where it needs to be, and don't forget "$300 out the door" really means about $275 to them, as they still have to pay the state the sales tax.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

brazostaurus wrote:New to forum, have question for you "vets." I have my eye on a Ruger P95 at a local gun shop, think they had it tagged at $319; anyone ever make an offer, as in, "I'll give you $300 out the door." Is this a no-no, or possibly just smart shopping. I figure with tax I'm looking at over/close to $350, figured it couldn't hurt. They can always say no. Any ideas?
There you go. Ask politely and the worst they can do is say no. As my mama said, if you don't ask, they can't say yes.
However, if they don't say yes and don't make a counter offer, I say thank you and move on. No hard feelings.

P.S. I assume this is a used gun. For a new P95, $319 is a good price and their cost is probably close to $300.

Topic author
brazostaurus

Post by brazostaurus »

Thanks to all for the feedback. Not real experienced, am just getting into the handgun thing, but thought I'd ask.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Teamless wrote:at a pawn shop or a gun show, I would ask away, at a mom-and-pop shop, they probably have it marked where it needs to be, and don't forget "$300 out the door" really means about $275 to them, as they still have to pay the state the sales tax.
You said it better than I did.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Teamless wrote:at a pawn shop or a gun show, I would ask away, at a mom-and-pop shop, they probably have it marked where it needs to be, and don't forget "$300 out the door" really means about $275 to them, as they still have to pay the state the sales tax.
You said it better than I did.
For a NIB gun, I would agree.
NRA Endowment Member

alvins

Post by alvins »

I only had one place in houston (carters country) tell me if i want to haggle goto the gun show.the guy then walked off and loudly insulted me with his coworker until i left. I NEVER have gone into any of there stores after that, and that was my first time in there store.

Usually I ask if they can do any better on the price. If they say no and I want it badly I pay it otherwise I just tell them I will have to think about it. A lot of places will discount a used gun.I have asked and gotten discounts on new guns at collectors firearms just by asking. I have been told that cash will get you more of a discount since they have to pay a % on a credit transaction.

someone said they are willing to pay more at a mom and pop place but I disagree.some shops will play the old well if it breaks then you have a place to bring it back to.Most places dont let you return anything and others dont have a qualified gun smith.I can call the manufacturer myself.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Here's a tip that works for me sometimes........

Instead of just blurting out an "offer" I look the item over real good.......even after I have seen all I need, I keep looking while the salesman is there.....watching me.......
then finally I say something like this:

"Well, I like it a lot.....is that the best you can do for me on a cash price, OTD NOW?"

Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But I think it sounds better to me and the seller instead of what would otherwise may be a fairly low ball offer.......
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

i always make a cash offer on a used gun ifr i think its over priced. i buy from pawn shops from time to time and have had good luck. ive done it at cabela's too.
on new stuff i just eat it if i want it.
imo on a clean p-95 is 285-325 is good and if i really wanred it $350. great truck guns that are built like tanks a run well

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

One of my favorite sayings in life is, "If you don't ask, you don't get."
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I always ask. :tiphat:

Chris

Post by Chris »

Just ask how firm or flexible the price is. It either is or it isn't.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”