I want to build an AR

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Mad Moderate
Posts in topic: 3

I want to build an AR

Post by The Mad Moderate »

So tax refund season is here and I decided I want to BUILD not buy an AR, I am coming to the brain trust to ask for suggestions. I want it to be as light weight as possible include a fore-grip, laser-light combo,and a red dot scope. I have been told not to bother building the upper as its a pain to put together but would like to try if you good folks think its not too challenging.
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

Wes
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I want to build an AR

Post by Wes »

I havnt done it yet, but when I was considering this myself before it became impossible I too was looking at not building the upper. I was basically going to order a completed upper that fit my specs which included the bcg, a good lower, the trigger assembly, and then add the stock of my choice. All of the other stuff are add ons. I even contemplated the completed lowers from palmetto state because they had several packages which would fit many styles, so all I would be doing is buying a complete upper and complete lower to put together. Not really a build, i know, but to each their own. When this was possible, it was going to fit my needs. RIght now you would be doing good to find any of the parts, the lower and BCG will be especially tough.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Ericstac

Post by Ericstac »

I haven't done one yet but I have a lower and a complete upper and lower parts kit on the way. I haven't decided if I'm tackling it myself or going to a cousin to help. It's a pistol version, I already have some rifle versions and wanted to go a little different.

grim-bob
Posts in topic: 2

Post by grim-bob »

It's not hard to do either the lower or upper. Getting parts will be fun right now. Just have to look around a lot and often to get everything. You can probably find parts for everything except the BCG right now with a little bit of work. Prices can be had that are slightly high (but not ridiculous if you work for it).

Best thing I could recommend is getting on mailing lists for many vendors (the smaller ones with reputation are the best bets IMO) and watching your email and be ready to strike. It's a time investment right now as a buddy is learning the hard way. I have a list of links that are good to browse if you want them. If you aren't in a hurry then just plan to get started a few months from now and you'll be less frustrated.

If you really want it soon your best bet is to stake out academy or cabelas every morning till you get lucky ;-)

So far as light goes it is hard to beat a polymer lower in the weight department. You can find Cav Arms styles lowers which have the lower, pistol grip and stock all in one piece... They are nice and light but you are stuck with the configuration. The bonus is they are still in stock often enough (Cabels has them on the shelf at a price slightly higher than online). Good for what they are but they aren't traditional. If you want to build traditional the lowers are harder to find but slowly trickling in at different places.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Topic author
The Mad Moderate

Could a good build be accomplished for under 800 bucks

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

comp73

Post by comp73 »

The main thing you should get, if you don't already have it, is the lower receiver. Thats the part that gets tracked so IF the AWB actually passes, you should have that part covered. Just about everything is hard to find, but BCGs, lowers, and quality barrels are almost impossible to find. Those would be the 3 things I would concentrate on if you are determined to build you own gun.

Prior to the current political climate, I would have said yes, but not with the fore grip, laser, etc. Now, a quality barrel and BCG will put you back a minimum of $450, if you can find them.

Also don't forget about tools. If you plan on building the upper, you MUST HAVE some type of vise block to hold it and an armorers wrench. Brownell's has a tool that goes through the receiver so as to try and not stress the upper, but even in that setup, the armorers wrench is being held in a vise.

If you can find a upper block, that is going to run $30 - $50 bucks, depending on shipping. Armorers tools are going to $20, good ones for $35 - 40.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

Ericstac

Post by Ericstac »

The Mad Moderate wrote:Could a good build be accomplished for under 800 bucks

JSE Surplus 16" rifle kit and find a stripped lower for under 250.00.

grim-bob
Posts in topic: 2

Post by grim-bob »

under $800 will be hard right now unless you get lucky on a kit from JSE or Model1 or similar low cost kits... Fine for a first gun/plinker but not the same quality as what you could do for just a little more if there was stock on the shelves.

As mentioned above if... if you can get a lower for a reasonable price then you can wait until stock returns a little and not pay the higher prices. If a ban comes then your lower gets you in the door to build later. Without the lower you are stuck if a ban comes. Not saying a ban is coming but if that is your pressure then that's the facts.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

TX0303

Post by TX0303 »

My opinion the upper is easier to put together than the lower. Nothing really hard about it if your upper receiver is not stripped. Like others have said, you'll need $75~100 in AR15 tools, a vise, and a torque wrench.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

"If a ban comes then your lower gets you in the door to build later. Without the lower you are stuck if a ban comes. "

I need a FFL clairification here.
From what I have read a stripped lower is not a free ticket to build out in a post ban world. I don't think we are going there, but knowledge is power.

So, what I read was a stripped lower or lower must be complete before the ban date. Yes, or no.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

jmra

Post by jmra »

Just finished one for $783.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
The Mad Moderate

jmra wrote:
Just finished one for $783.
Any links would be appreciated

-Francois Guisot

Ericstac

Post by Ericstac »

Ericstac wrote:I haven't done one yet but I have a lower and a complete upper and lower parts kit on the way. I haven't decided if I'm tackling it myself or going to a cousin to help. It's a pistol version, I already have some rifle versions and wanted to go a little different.

my complete upper and LPK showed up yesterday!!

started to build the lower lastnight and was amazed at how simple this is. i would say it would take about 45-60minutes to complete if you sit down and do it at one time. i had to start dinner so i had to cut it short. only have the safety and grip to complete. :hurry: i am not a gunsmith at all so if anyone is hesitant on building a lower dont even be concerned. it is as easy as putting together legos.. well, actually those are hard to do so thats not a good example.. its easy lets just keep it at that. :thumbs2:

TexAg12

Post by TexAg12 »

Like they have said, finding parts (and at a reasonable price) will be your problem. If you're looking for a complete upper that's lightweight, check out the Daniel Defense uppers. They are top quality and very light and some of the versions offer a lightweight barrel. You might be able to get on a waiting list for them. As for the red dot, look at the Aimpoint Micro. They are outstanding quality and only weigh 3 ounces. There's a torture test video online for them that sold me on them. Good luck with your build!
a.k.a. Moose

"I carry 'cause a cop is hard to conceal."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”