Tax Stamp In Rockwall, Texas?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jnkirk1974
Posts in topic: 7

Tax Stamp In Rockwall, Texas?

Post by jnkirk1974 »

I realize that this isn't a handgun question, but I'm curious to see if anyone in these forums happens to know who I need to talk with in Rockwall, Texas about getting a tax stamp for a weapon purchase?

Usually, it's a judge, DA or other official.

Does anyone happen to know?

Thank you,

Jeff
Rock River Arms AR-15, HK P2000sk, Glock 23,Beretta 92FS and Seacamp .32

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Tax Stamp In Rockwall, Texas?

Post by txinvestigator »

jnkirk1974 wrote:I realize that this isn't a handgun question, but I'm curious to see if anyone in these forums happens to know who I need to talk with in Rockwall, Texas about getting a tax stamp for a weapon purchase?

Usually, it's a judge, DA or other official.

Does anyone happen to know?

Thank you,

Jeff
???

Are you referring to a Chief LEO signoff for a Class 3 purchase?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
jnkirk1974

Post by jnkirk1974 »

Well, maybe you can tell me what I'm looking for......

I would like to purchase an AR-15 with a shorter-than-the-legal-length barrel on it.

In realize that each county is different, so it may be impossible in Rockwall, depending on how they feel about that type of thing.

I just collect different guns. I live in the McClendon-Chisholm area (outside Rockwall city limits).

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

jnkirk1974 wrote:Well, maybe you can tell me what I'm looking for......

I would like to purchase an AR-15 with a shorter-than-the-legal-length barrel on it.

In realize that each county is different, so it may be impossible in Rockwall, depending on how they feel about that type of thing.

I just collect different guns. I live in the McClendon-Chisholm area (outside Rockwall city limits).
You are wanting to purchase a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR)

See here; http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#m1

scroll down.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
jnkirk1974

Post by jnkirk1974 »

Thanks for the response. Wow, it looks like a pain in the butt. Maybe I just don't understand the process.

I thought they had a process to where to did the registration in person and not through the mail.

It would be hard to get the serial number of the weapon you wish to purchase, when it's being auctioned off. It would most likely sell before you got written approval from the ATF.

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Venus Pax »

To some of you, this may be a silly question. However, I'm not well-versed in rifle law.

What's the stink over the barrel lengths, and what incited laws against short barrel lengths? I'm really just curious on this one.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Topic author
jnkirk1974

Post by jnkirk1974 »

I'm not sure the answer to your question. However, I'll take a stab at it.

I'm guessing that they (ATF) don't want everyone owning assault rifles with short barrels, because perhaps they are more easily concealed. Now, I'm not implying that they can be put under your shirt, but maybe they think it's an awful lot of firepower that's more easily concealable than something with a 16" barrel.

Just my guess.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

jnkirk1974 wrote:I'm not sure the answer to your question. However, I'll take a stab at it.

I'm guessing that they (ATF) don't want everyone owning assault rifles with short barrels, because perhaps they are more easily concealed. Now, I'm not implying that they can be put under your shirt, but maybe they think it's an awful lot of firepower that's more easily concealable than something with a 16" barrel.

Just my guess.
It pre-dates the ATF. Short-barreled rifles (<16") and short-barreled shotguns (<18") are part of the original National Firearms Act of 1934. Both shotguns and rifles must have an overall length of 26" or more.

casselthief
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by casselthief »

jnkirk1974 wrote:I'm not sure the answer to your question. However, I'll take a stab at it.

Just my guess.
ooooooooooh, you used the A word!!!!

barrel length has nuthin' to do with it being an A-word. that has to do with the ability to fire full-auto, if I'm not mistaken.
m'kay.
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

Topic author
jnkirk1974

Post by jnkirk1974 »

I know that barrel length has nothing to do with it's classification as an assault rifle. That's why I said "assault rifles with short barrels". I didn't say all assault rifles has short barrels. I was only referring to the ones that happen to have short barrels.

casselthief
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by casselthief »

again with the A-word!!!
I'm meaning to convey that assault rifle only applies to the ability change the amount of rounds fired per trigger pull.
an AR-15 is not an assault rifle, as it is only semi-auto.
an M4A1 can be considered an assault rifle, as it can fire single, burst, and full auto.
that was my intention. :grin:
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

casselthief wrote:again with the A-word!!!
I'm meaning to convey that assault rifle only applies to the ability change the amount of rounds fired per trigger pull.
an AR-15 is not an assault rifle, as it is only semi-auto.
an M4A1 can be considered an assault rifle, as it can fire single, burst, and full auto.
that was my intention. :grin:
I thought the term assault weapon was an invention of whining liberal politicians and media that sponsors them. It is certainly not a term that the military was was using when the term came in Vogue.
The definition of assault weapon as near as I can tell is a gun that looks scary. makes lots of noise, uses clips; doesn't have any wood it, makes use of plastic typically in black or camou . One test is to show such a gun to a San Franciscan politician and observe if said politician spontaneously urinates on themselves.

I hope this helps.

p99guy

Post by p99guy »

actually it comes from SturmGewer= "Storm rifle" or Assault Rifle, a moniker Adolf Hitler Bestowed upon the STG44 rifle.

It has come to mean in proper usage a magazine fed Rifle of intermediate caliber, capable of fully automatic and semi automatic modes of fire.

in media use its anything that vaguely looks military...example :Assault pistol???
CHL,C&R Lic.,NFA owner

Topic author
jnkirk1974

Post by jnkirk1974 »

I think this topic just took a left turn.......

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Liberty wrote:I thought the term assault weapon was an invention of whining liberal politicians and media that sponsors them. It is certainly not a term that the military was was using when the term came in Vogue.
I agree. I remember when the first outrage started: "There's no such thing as an 'assault weapon'! The term is 'assault rifle', which is military and means it's select fire!"

Having not been out of the Army for long at that point, I just scratched my head, because being Army from 1982-1989, I had never heard the term "assault rifle". Not saying it wasn't used by some branch of the military, or in certain circles, but it was certainly not a widely used term. We had machine guns, rifles, submachineguns, and pistols. No "assault rifles".

Kevin

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”