Gun owner - landlord discrimination ?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
45Carrier
Posts in topic: 5

Gun owner - landlord discrimination ?

Post by 45Carrier »

I just got notice from my landlord that he is not going to offer a renewal on my lease "since I own guns and ammo".

So, first priority, I need a 3/2/2 in the DFW area (Plano/Grapevine/Frisco area preferred but open to any safe location) with a landlord that isn't anti-gun and worried about the potential liability of having a tenant who owns and carries.

Secondly, I feel violated and somewhat betrayed. I have been here several years with zero problems making the lease/rent and no problems with any of the neighbors. I am a good neighbor, this is a great neighborhood and very low traffic.

I am in my early 50's and don't party like a rock star or have any drama in my life. Some might think I'm boring, but it has taken most of my life with effort and great care to get my life to a point where it is low drag. In short life is good, except I now have to scramble to find a place to live.

Is there any possibility I can (legally) force my landlord to reconsider ? Ive assured him I'm not about to become a thug, gangster or middle aged rap star and begin shooting up the neighborhood. I have also reminded him that until he found out I am a gun owner he has had zero issues with me as a tenant.

He isn't budging on it - period. He is as anti-gun as one person could possibly be and has made off hand remarks about Republicans and Tea Party "idiots", neither of which hold rallies at my home.

I don't mind telling you, I'm bummed about this and being on the dime to find a place with a non-anti-gun landlord is a bit scary because I don't exactly know how to approach the subject with a new prospective lessor.

Sorry to vent, this has somewhat blind-sided me and to say I am a little disappointed is an understatement.

Any suggestions ?

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Gun owner - landlord discrimination ?

Post by RottenApple »

45Carrier wrote:I just got notice from my landlord that he is not going to offer a renewal on my lease "since I own guns and ammo".

So, first priority, I need a 3/2/2 in the DFW area (Plano/Grapevine/Frisco area preferred but open to any safe location) with a landlord that isn't anti-gun and worried about the potential liability of having a tenant who owns and carries.

Secondly, I feel violated and somewhat betrayed. I have been here several years with zero problems making the lease/rent and no problems with any of the neighbors. I am a good neighbor, this is a great neighborhood and very low traffic.

I am in my early 50's and don't party like a rock star or have any drama in my life. Some might think I'm boring, but it has taken most of my life with effort and great care to get my life to a point where it is low drag. In short life is good, except I now have to scramble to find a place to live.

Is there any possibility I can (legally) force my landlord to reconsider ? Ive assured him I'm not about to become a thug, gangster or middle aged rap star and begin shooting up the neighborhood. I have also reminded him that until he found out I am a gun owner he has had zero issues with me as a tenant.

He isn't budging on it - period. He is as anti-gun as one person could possibly be and has made off hand remarks about Republicans and Tea Party "idiots", neither of which hold rallies at my home.

I don't mind telling you, I'm bummed about this and being on the dime to find a place with a non-anti-gun landlord is a bit scary because I don't exactly know how to approach the subject with a new prospective lessor.

Sorry to vent, this has somewhat blind-sided me and to say I am a little disappointed is an understatement.

Any suggestions ?
First question I have is.... How did he find out? But that's not really an issue at this point as he already (obviously) knows.

Second, about the only thing you could try would be a civil rights lawsuit. It'll likely be expensive and, just as likely, will fail.

Realistically, the only thing you can do is move and make sure that you keep your firearms & associated gear out of sight.

Topic author
45Carrier
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 45Carrier »

I'm not sure how he found out and I am very judicious about keeping guns and gear out of sight. Neighbors on both sides know I carry because I have invited them to go to the range with me over the years. One couple has their CHL and the other is gone most of the year.

I am well aware of the importance of being low-profile and have taken great care (obviously not enough) to remain non-remarkable in this respect.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

No telling how he found out, but I do not believe that is an issue.

You might put up a defense as stated above, but I know I would not want to live there any longer knowing his attitude towards guns and the fact he knows I have them.

Good luck and maybe you will find some place that is even better.

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasGal »

Sorry to hear you are having to move. He may be sorry he didn't appreciate you later. He's not realizing the kinds of renters out there are likely to give him a way bigger headache than your innocent guns. Not to stir the pot, but is it possible he simply came in while you were away and snooped around? He would not be the first landlord to do this. It's not legal, but that does not stop everyone.

When leasing a new place, maybe you should just not even bring guns up at all. Or how many knives you own, or golf clubs, hammers, or anything else that can be used in a lethal way. They are not illegal to have. Check out the lease wording to see if there is anything in it about guns. I'd think if a landlord was all that worried about it, then you would see something in the lease trying to turn a gun owner away. If you bring it up while looking at a place, the landlord is likely to be uncomfortable. The exception being if it was owned by a gun nut. Then he/she may want to see what you have for a whole nother reason :biggrinjester:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Forget about the civil rights suit. Gun ownership is not a "Protected Class" and a suit would be a waste of time & money.

All you can do is find a new place to live.

You have a choice of making his life miserable by posting negative reviews on all the online reviews sites (google, yelp, etc.) Setup a facebook page denouncing him. Heck, picket his properties, or even his personal residence from the sidewalk in front of his home if that gives satisfaction.

Or, you could decide that you are not willing to let this jackwagon have rent-free space in your brain, put it behind you, and move on (literally).

Let's at least hope that his new tenants turn out to be deadbeat thugs that destroy the place, cook meth in there, and skip without paying the rent. "rlol"
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

tboesche

Post by tboesche »

Why would you want to stay there and give the landlord your money when he is obviously a moron!
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

I'll echo the thoughts of others and say while you might try and force the issue, is it really worth it? Obviously he doesn't want you there. I can speak from experience that a landlord unwilling to work with tenants makes for a contentious and stressful situation.

Moving is a hassle but having peace of mind that your landlord doesn't hate you is nice also. Good luck on your search and on the subsequent move.
Psalm 91:2

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Sorry to hear about it. I am not sure how it is down here but when I owned property up in Wisconsin I could inspect the property whenever I wanted with a simple 24 hour notice posted on the door, now if it blew away well to bad I posted, no I was never that way. So my guess is like someone else said, he "Inspected" his property. Now it does not help but just like we withhold our money from anti's and places that jacked up prices, the anti's can do what they want also. Good luck in your search and keep your life private.

Now to be on the evil side maybe we can have a gun show & tell on your front lawn.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

If you have a lease contract with him, then I would tell him that he needs to give you a proper eviction notice in writing. That will buy you more time to find another space.

http://texastenant.org/eviction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I definitely would not leave on his terms. I'd take full advantage of the law. At least that way it will cost him money. In the meantime I would be looking for a new place. If I found one, I would leave without notifying him. Send him the key through certified mail, return receipt requested.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Please understand I sometimes have really bad ideas and can be vindictive when I have been wronged..so take it for what it is worth....

Me? As we say when we see a 30.06 sign.. Vote with your money .. he does not want your money and what at your words is a great tenant? Ok, find another place that does what you as a tenant.
Second, I would make my home, while still there a living, breathing NRA festival. Forcing said landlord to publically in the light of day come out against citizens and those that hold their rights as something not to be infringed. When others ask,,,,,and they will.... when other ask why you're pushing the issue, why you're making a big deal of it.. ask them.... If he refuses a tenant this inalienable right ... what will he diced next is no longer permissible in his perverse little world.

As a property owner he has a right to make the decision he has,,, But with decision, come consequences, that and the 1st Amendment does not absolve one from consequences, just protects the right to free speech.,,,, that works for him, for you, and against both as well..

Im not big on God and challenges put before you... ect ect ect.. but I can look at an obstacle as an opportunity to move on, find better, different.

Best of luck.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

suthdj wrote:Sorry to hear about it. I am not sure how it is down here but when I owned property up in Wisconsin I could inspect the property whenever I wanted with a simple 24 hour notice posted on the door, now if it blew away well to bad I posted, no I was never that way. So my guess is like someone else said, he "Inspected" his property. Now it does not help but just like we withhold our money from anti's and places that jacked up prices, the anti's can do what they want also. Good luck in your search and keep your life private.

Now to be on the evil side maybe we can have a gun show & tell on your front lawn.

There is a difference in "inspecting his property" and snooping around though.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

baldeagle wrote:If you have a lease contract with him, then I would tell him that he needs to give you a proper eviction notice in writing. That will buy you more time to find another space.

http://texastenant.org/eviction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I definitely would not leave on his terms. I'd take full advantage of the law. At least that way it will cost him money. In the meantime I would be looking for a new place. If I found one, I would leave without notifying him. Send him the key through certified mail, return receipt requested.
Per the OP, he's not being evicted. His lease is simply not being renewed. Huge difference.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”