Binocular Repair needed

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 7

Binocular Repair needed

Post by puma guy »

Does any body out there know of someone that repairs binoculars? I am fuming right now. I bought a really nice pair of older Japanese Bausch and Lomb high end (Discoverer) binoculars. These were 7x24 compact, armored and waterproof binocs. Perfectly clear; diopter adjustment and center focus working perfectly. The only problem was the eyecups were distorted and when I called Bushnell they said to send them in for an estimate. The sent me the estimate of $145 to repair so i said just return them. Well they arrived today and apparently they disassembled them. They are now completly out of collimation, the diopter adjustment is whack and I'm sure the nitrogen purge is gone. They list the repairs needed as eye cups, collimation, clean and purge. They also tore the eye cups off completely! :mad5 :mad5
If any one knows of a reputable place to get repairs I'd appreciate it. Sending them back to Bushnell is a last resort.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Binocular Repair needed

Post by flechero »

That sounds like they began work before they offered you the estimate... I would have been all over them to fix what they screwed up. I think a very pointed phone discussion with a supervisor in customer service department will get that much done... and since you'll have to send them in again, you might negotiate a discount on the original repair.

Good luck!

Topic author
puma guy

Re: Binocular Repair needed-update

Post by puma guy »

flechero wrote:That sounds like they began work before they offered you the estimate... I would have been all over them to fix what they screwed up. I think a very pointed phone discussion with a supervisor in customer service department will get that much done... and since you'll have to send them in again, you might negotiate a discount on the original repair.

Good luck!
george wrote:Optics are pretty big in the marine industry. Since Galveston is a large port, there maybe a local place that would give you better service. Sorry, i don't know of any, just thinking. My uncle had a place there that repaired the optics on his sextant.
flechero, george, Thanks to you both. I called Bushnell and I'm waiting for a call back from a supervisor. I forgot to mention in my post that they shipped the binocs back loose in a box with no packing other than 6, yes, 6 peanuts in the box. If they had been repaired they very well could have been damaged in shipping. The inspection list revealed the bad eye cups and that the collimation was off. I've been around optics and have two brothers in the photography business. One ran Skylark Camera in Houston for 25 years. Besides that my hunting buddy was a camera/optics rep for 40 years including rep for B&L/Bushnell. They looked through the binocs and if the collimation was off it would take an instrument to detect it. The customer service rep listed a litany of repairs the lab said needed to be made which she said indicated they arrived that way. Not true. I'll see what Jacob, the supervisor has to say. I found a place in Oklahoma I may try. There is an outfit called Land and Sea locally that I haven't called yet.

Got a call this morning from Jacob, repair supervisor at Bushnell. I gave him the details and he sent me a mailing label so he can personally examine the binocs. I'll update as I receive status from him.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I received a call Monday on my way to Fischer to await the birth of our sixth grand child and first grandson. The fellow that called, named Chris, was filling in for Jacob who was on vacation. He wanted to make sure he had the details and then said he'd get back to me after discussing with the Repair Manager. I received and email that they were making all necessary repairs and that the charge would be $40 for parts, including shipping. I'm very satisfied with the resolution and since I never expected to get repairs for free I'm happy to pay for them. I am waiting for them to arrive.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

Glad to hear of their willingness to correct their customer service problem.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

flechero

Post by flechero »

Glad they are taking care of you!

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Jumping Frog wrote:Glad to hear of their willingness to correct their customer service problem.
flechero wrote:Glad they are taking care of you!
It's what I would have expected from B&L/Bushnell. Glad I followed the advice you all gave and called them. I usually don't stop at the first obstacle, but I was really frustrated and a little angry when the customer service rep told me the report was stone cold done deal.

Edit: Benn out of town a couple of days. Binocs were here when I got home and they look great. Gotta get busy writing a letter to commend the two guys from repair that took care of me.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Barbarians at the gate!
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ELB wrote:Barbarians at the gate!
I’m assuming you reported the barbarian’s post, but will do so myself just to make sure.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
I’m assuming you reported the barbarian’s post, but will do so myself just to make sure.
Yes I did, but I was not the first.

The funny thing is I missed this thread when it went up years ago, but found it an interesting read.
Last edited by ELB on Sat May 12, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ELB wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Yes I did, but I was not the first.
Carlson must be taking a big ol’ nap. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Hope they take care of your problem. Due to past warranty issues with Bushnell and their horrific customer service I refuse to do business with them. Your situation is different since it’s an older B&L.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mrvmax wrote:Hope they take care of your problem. Due to past warranty issues with Bushnell and their horrific customer service I refuse to do business with them. Your situation is different since it’s an older B&L.
Please look at the date on the posts before blindly replying. This topic is from 2013.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Keith B wrote:
mrvmax wrote:Hope they take care of your problem. Due to past warranty issues with Bushnell and their horrific customer service I refuse to do business with them. Your situation is different since it’s an older B&L.
Please look at the date on the posts before blindly replying. This topic is from 2013.
https://youtu.be/QuoKNZjr8_U

Sorry, Keith I couldn't resist

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”