Links for gun safe info in the works

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Ace_Inthe_O
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Links for gun safe info in the works

Post by Ace_Inthe_O »

Call the Granite Safe company in Ft. Worth and you can buy directly from the warehouse. They have very reasonably priced safes and will often negotiate on price :thumbs2:
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

iamomeed
Posts in topic: 1

Post by iamomeed »

ive heard most of the premade safes are no good vs criminals and its much better to make your own if you have welding supplies.

poppo

Post by poppo »

A lot of good info posted here. I really like the idea of a horizontal safe that someone posted about. I was even now thinking about just getting a (cheaper) upright safe, laying it down and modifying it by building a wooden ''bench seat' sort of thing over it.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Tallinthesaddle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tallinthesaddle »

Mine sat in the office in my house where too many people could see it. My wife redecorated our bathroom to real country style, so I moved the safe to a corner of the bathroom and built a frame around it that looked like an outhouse. We referred to it as the linen closet. Sure it wouldn't slow a thief down much, but when I had it moved I had it bolted down.
If you lay your safe down, see if you can bolt it down and what the weight of the door will be.

Totally Frustrated

Post by Totally Frustrated »

Tallinthesaddle wrote:Mine sat in the office in my house where too many people could see it. My wife redecorated our bathroom to real country style, so I moved the safe to a corner of the bathroom and built a frame around it that looked like an outhouse. We referred to it as the linen closet. Sure it wouldn't slow a thief down much, but when I had it moved I had it bolted down.
If you lay your safe down, see if you can bolt it down and what the weight of the door will be.
Don't take offense to this post.
Sounds like a good idea, until I think about the moisture level in a bathroom.
Guns + Humidity = Rust
Just my 2 cents.

Tallinthesaddle

Liberty safe with inside moisture absorber :tiphat: and in West Texas. Shower in this bath, hot tub in the other. Not much showering here!
Thanks for your comment.

Tallinthesaddle

Pictures
safe2.jpg
safe2.jpg (2.98 KiB) Viewed 2876 times
Attachments
safe1.jpg
safe1.jpg (2.95 KiB) Viewed 2869 times

Sangiovese

Re:

Post by Sangiovese »

govnor wrote:I met these guys at the Fort Worth gun show this weekend. http://www.agunsafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The salesman I met, Bill, was really nice. They only represent two companies, but I like the fact that deliver for around $100 in the metroplex. Another cool thing is that they will move your safe to another house for about $200.

I haven't done business with these guys, but thought I'd put it out as an option. One thing I would advise is to go to a gun show and look for the "gun show special" on the safe you want. The guy I talked to said they would most likely honor that price later on, but write down how much it was so you can remind them...
The guys from agunsafe just installed my safe today :)

From the time I walked through their door asking questions all the way until they were walking out of my door after the installation I was very impressed with how friendly, knowledgeable, and professional they were. Took plenty of time to answer our questions and never pressured us at all.

We got a Champion Triumph model at a good price. Here's a link to the specs - http://www.championsafe.com/triumph.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a pic of the new bedroom furniture :)

http://www.xdtalk.com/gallery/showphoto ... ig&cat=575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these guys for purchase/installation.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

Mike from Texas

Post by Mike from Texas »

I had an hour long conversation with Terry (owner of SturdySafe) today. I will be buying one of his safes.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 17

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Sangiovese, did you have them bolt it down? With it located out in the open like that, a would be thief can push it over onto a dolly and roll it right out the house.

Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Sangiovese, did you have them bolt it down? With it located out in the open like that, a would be thief can push it over onto a dolly and roll it right out the house.
Yeah, it is bolted down. It's the smallest Triumph model so it's "only" 800 lbs. Would be a pita to move but I'm not going to put it past a determined thief... so we opted to have it bolted. That was included with the installation at no extra charge.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 17

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Sangiovese wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:Sangiovese, did you have them bolt it down? With it located out in the open like that, a would be thief can push it over onto a dolly and roll it right out the house.
Yeah, it is bolted down. It's the smallest Triumph model so it's "only" 800 lbs. Would be a pita to move but I'm not going to put it past a determined thief... so we opted to have it bolted. That was included with the installation at no extra charge.
I think you bought from the same folks I did. I bought from a guy in Garland. I met him at a gun show. I am pretty sure it is the same company. I went with the Amsec. I wasn't going to bolt mine down at first. It weighs 1200 pounds empty. they showed me how easy it was to push it over from the top and let it fall on a dolly. A thief could then just roll it out. I went ahead and had them bolt it down after they showed me this little trick.

Anyway....nice safe. After getting mine I suddenly realized how stupid I was risking all my guns for so many years. I had them hidden all over the house. My thinking use to be that if a burglar got in, he would find one or two and quit looking. I figured they would not have time to play hide and seek. I like having my safe better than the old way. :mrgreen: Good luck to you....the first thing your going to notice is how quick it fills up....LOL.

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but you can also use golf balls to roll the safe.

Someone (can't remember who) was telling me that the safe delivery folks for his "very heavy" safe just put down a bunch of golf balls and rolled the safe into place.

:leaving
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

super8neon

Post by super8neon »

Wow... great links and great shared information.

Now that I am in the market for a safe... since we have an eleven month old in the house who can crawl at the speed of light.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 7

Post by stevie_d_64 »

How nifty is this!

http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_PacSafes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if this could be airline rated??? Might pack in your checked baggage a little easier than a hard sided case...

I might go buy one just to have handy, might even see if I can get them to key it with the rest of my COM stuff...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”