Best one-shot stops

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Best one-shot stops

Post by JALLEN »

Everybody knows that 64.7% of the time, statistics are misleading, and the rest of the time, flat wrong.

There is another article, maybe several showing that most deaths from gunshots come from the lowly .22. Well, duh!

There are far more of them in use. Even mob assassins prefer the lowly .22short for taking care of business.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Post by VMI77 »

george wrote:Any comments on the recent chart in American Handgunner magazine listing the .22 and .32 as having the best one-shot stop percentage?
Yeah, it's nonsense. I haven't read the article, but my guess, for the .22 at least, is that it's a product of usage rates and the definition of one-shot stop, and maybe being easy to shoot. One-shot stop is a myth. Given the same level of marksmanship, the dynamics of bullet weight, diameter, and speed generally mean the bigger and heavier the bullet the greater the likelihood of causing enough CNS or vital organ damage to stop an assault. What is more likely to stop someone in their tracks --a 22 LR or a 50 BMG? Certainly you can stop someone with a 22 and good shot placement, but again, assuming roughly equal marksmanship, your odds are better with a larger caliber (with perhaps some exceptions, like a .25).
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

I don't believe in 1-shot stops in ANY caliber. PERIOD! Shoot until the threat is stopped! :fire :fire
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

There is no doubt it is better to hit someone with a .22 than scare them with a near miss of .50BMG.

Shot placement is everything.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

Any caliber you carry, with the right number of hits to the CNS will stop the threat. Carry whatever you're comfortable shooting. Practice center mass, front sight picture target acquisition and shoot until the threat is neutralized. I believe that is the best route to take.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

EdWeird

Post by EdWeird »

JALLEN wrote:Everybody knows that 64.7% of the time, statistics are misleading...
That's true, but only 42.9% of the time. "rlol"

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Evan Marshall, the guy who pretty much brought the term "one shot stop" to shooter's vocabularies, once said, "A one shot stop is a unit of measurement, not a tactical philosophy".

If you have to shoot to stop, shoot multiple times until they are no longer a threat. I would not trust a .22 or .32 in any handgun for serious self defense.

There are stories of people being hit with up to and including nuclear weapons (Hiroshima/Nagasaki) and continuing to do what there were doing at the time. There is really no such thing as a 100% one shot stop. Some folks are stubborn like that :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

7075-T7

Post by 7075-T7 »

LeonCarr wrote:There are stories of people being hit with up to and including nuclear weapons (Hiroshima/Nagasaki) and continuing to do what there were doing at the time.
Well, if they actually got hit WITH the bomb even without it exploding, I think that's a one-shot stop. They were quite large if I recall. :mrgreen:

xring

Post by xring »

Silenced 22 autos are the weapon of choice for execution style gang murders ( according to my TV set) so maybe one to the back of the head is the accepted average shots per stop.
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Same old debate that gets brought up over and over. It does boil down to shot placement and hitting a vital area. I can hit you with my 500 S&W in certain places that would not kill you and I could also hit you in other areas with my .22LR that would kill you. I doubt anyone would deduce that the .22LR is a manstopper from those facts though. The smaller calibers have a place (like when you cannot carry anything else) since something is better than nothing.

banshee

Post by banshee »

never had to use the one stop shot, when I have had to warn I am armed, or actually pull a weapon , they usually get real apologetic and move on peacefully, or even run away

thank goodness, cause if not, they are going down, no matter the caliber

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

mrvmax wrote:Same old debate that gets brought up over and over. It does boil down to shot placement and hitting a vital area. I can hit you with my 500 S&W in certain places that would not kill you and I could also hit you in other areas with my .22LR that would kill you. I doubt anyone would deduce that the .22LR is a manstopper from those facts though. The smaller calibers have a place (like when you cannot carry anything else) since something is better than nothing.
Well, if you're going to shoot me in certain places that would not kill me, I would sure prefer you use the .22. :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

xring wrote:Silenced 22 autos are the weapon of choice for execution style gang murders ( according to my TV set) so maybe one to the back of the head is the accepted average shots per stop.
Shootin' people in the back of the head will bring on a lot of questions and paperwork.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

In 18 years of law enforcement I have never taken a suppressor or suppressor equipped firearm off of a bad guy or found one in a bad guy's vehicle or living area.

Your TV is lying to you "rlol"

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”