What's your favorite hearing protection?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What's your favorite hearing protection?

Post by RoyGBiv »

bagman45 wrote:What do you all use???
I rock out "Old Style"

:mrgreen:

+1 for the Leights. Good performance, reasonable cost.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Shoot_First

Post by Shoot_First »

I have two Peltor Sport Tactical models than ran me about $50 bucks each. They are ok, but one set has an irritating static not helped by fresh batteries. I may try the Leight model next. Bottom line, still looking...

AggieMike

Post by AggieMike »

I use the Peltor Tactical for Rifle and Pistol....just disappointed I paid as much as I did way back when they came out. I bought a second pair at a Walmart near me for I think 65 dollars. When I got mine they were over 200....oh well.
I don't carry my 40 all the time, just when I leave my home!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

AndyC wrote:Walmart $3 plugs by Winchester. Seriously.

[ Image ]
He's not kidding. I've seen him use them. I tried my own pair, but didn't like them as much as the purple foam ones that are rated at 32 or 33 db. I also have a pair of the Howard Leights, but only use them for handgun like with IDPA. Even though they are low profile, they still bother me with a rifle some and my shotgun. I have yet to try some of those molded plugs.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
bagman45
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bagman45 »

Hmm, I ALWAYS like simple and cheap when it works. BUT, can't imagine you can hear anything with them in; part of my goal is to be able to talk to my kids and hear their questions when we're at the range..... The Leight's are in the lead just now; has anyone ever tried the Surefire EP4's? Had a pair like them years ago that worked pretty well until one of the "noise filters" went out; would fire the .357mag and hear a "WHIZZZZZZ" in my left ear; figured it was time to throw them away... :???: I will, however, be picking up a few of the Win/Walmart plugs for when it's just me!!!

mewalke
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mewalke »

For exceptionally loud environments - belted magnums, SBRs, or just about any indoor range I tend to use passive muffs AND foam plugs.

Do the electronic muffs default to "On" (sound muffled) or "Off" (All sound comes through) if the battery wears out? I would assume "On" since I am guessing they use a microphone to pick up the sounds - but I've never used a pair.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mewalke wrote:For exceptionally loud environments - belted magnums, SBRs, or just about any indoor range I tend to use passive muffs AND foam plugs.

Do the electronic muffs default to "On" (sound muffled) or "Off" (All sound comes through) if the battery wears out? I would assume "On" since I am guessing they use a microphone to pick up the sounds - but I've never used a pair.
All that I have used default to muffled. You have passive noise reduction of some db level, then the microphone and audio amp in the muffs operates to let you hear what's going on. This audio amp is set to limit the audio to ? db, so the gunfire is muffled. Some units shunt the entire audio when a sound exceeds the db blocking threshold; i.e. it shuts the entire audio circuit off. Others allow the audio amp to continue to work, but limit the audio to a ?? db pass-through. These allow you to continue to hear conversations while rounds are going off.

Yeah I know, this is a lot more than you asked for. :lol:

Chas.

mewalke
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mewalke »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mewalke wrote:For exceptionally loud environments - belted magnums, SBRs, or just about any indoor range I tend to use passive muffs AND foam plugs.

All that I have used default to muffled. You have passive noise reduction of some db level, then the microphone and audio amp in the muffs operates to let you hear what's going on. This audio amp is set to limit the audio to ? db, so the gunfire is muffled. Some units shunt the entire audio when a sound exceeds the db blocking threshold; i.e. it shuts the entire audio circuit off. Others allow the audio amp to continue to work, but limit the audio to a ?? db pass-through. These allow you to continue to hear conversations while rounds are going off.

Yeah I know, this is a lot more than you asked for. :lol:

Chas.
But very helpful! Thank you.

Looking at one of the Howard Leight's that was linked, the noise reduction was only 22db, which is considerably lower than most of the passive muffs I have used, so it sounds like I would still want to use foam plugs with the electronic muffs in many situations.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote:
AndyC wrote:Walmart $3 plugs by Winchester. Seriously.

[ Image ]
He's not kidding. I've seen him use them. I tried my own pair, but didn't like them as much as the purple foam ones that are rated at 32 or 33 db. I also have a pair of the Howard Leights, but only use them for handgun like with IDPA. Even though they are low profile, they still bother me with a rifle some and my shotgun. I have yet to try some of those molded plugs.
Foam plugs have high db reduction ratings, often higher than earmuffs. If a plug is rated at 32db reduction and you add earmuffs that are 25db you do not get a linear reduction of 25db. When I did a turn in safety at a refinery I had that info. The additional reduction is actually quite low. I wear plugs and earmuff anyway so I can hear. The best passive (non-electronic) earmuffs for the money I've found were at Harborfreight. The red ones.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:[ Image ]
You win! :tiphat: :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I use the Peltor MT16H210F-SV :thumbs2:

Great for the range during qualification. I can hear all the students and ambient noise without the report. I occasionally use plugs when I just go out to pop a few rounds and the difference is night and day. The muffs work so much better. I find it interesting that even though I can hear ambient noises and voices great (even better if turned up) I still sound like I have my head in a bucket when I talk. While a little annoying it helps me remember to talk louder on the range for the benefit of those without amplified muffs.

I have not noticed any static unless turned up to the highest setting. It surprises me sometimes when I have them turned up higher that I start wondering what that background noise is only to figure out it's the breeze in the power lines or the milo rustling across the road. That's a good indication to turn them down.

This is also just for pistol use outdoors. If I am going to be shooting high power rifles for an extended session I use plugs in addition.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

I currently use the HL R-01526. I wear them reversed so sound pickup is to the rear - still allows hearing all, but front generally is down range and not much worth hearing in that direction. :bigear:

rotor

Post by rotor »

Was out today with my shotgun. Peltor Tri-Flange 97317 were GREAT. 3 pair, $6 at WalMart. These are my favorite now. Hard to use muffs with shotgun. My wife loved them also. Other earplugs didn't work well for me. Bought 6 more pair.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”