Oil or Grease

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
stash
Posts in topic: 1

Oil or Grease

Post by stash »

For all you guys/gals that shoot the 1911, do you use oil or grease on the rails? If grease, what brand do you use? Pretty soon I got to field strip and get my new springer (mil spec) ready to shoot. I have never used anything but oil on my Glocks, so if you all recommend grease I have to get some. Thanks
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

mr surveyor

Re: Oil or Grease

Post by mr surveyor »

I use a very light coating of grease, only on the rails, of my carry guns. Range toys work fine with oil if it's applied soon before an outing. I've found that most any good purpose made grease will stay in place for extended times (weeks), where oils may tend to drain away much sooner (again, considering carry guns). I use grease on all "sliding" metal to metal surfaces, and oil on the pins/hinge points (and nothing but clean/dry in the striker/firing pin channel)

Just my personal preferences.

JD
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I get blank stares when I tell people what I use to lube my guns. Mobil 1, or any other full synthetic motor oil in a 10W30 or better range. The higher the heavy viscosity, the better. For grease buy a can of quality auto wheel bearing grease. Synthetic grease is preferred.

What do I use? I use Mobil 1 oil, and Rydol grease. Rydol is a biodegradable grease that has a property of filling the little groves and valleys in eventhe most highly polished metal. It is also slicker than, well you know.

I rarely use anything other than oil on any of my guns but, when grease is used it's only on parts that slide. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

I'm about 50/50. FrogLube on pistols and revolvers I plan to keep and Mobil 1 / Hoppe's #9 / BreakFree CLP on those I may trade or sell. FrogLube CLP primarily due to ease of clean up, great lube and surface protection against rust to boot.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

I've used TW25 grease with good results.

I'm currenly using Slip 2000's Extreme Weapon Grease. There's so much in the bottle and it takes so little to lube the rails, that one small container is probably my lifetime supply.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

TheCytochromeC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TheCytochromeC »

While we're at it I thought I might add you can use WD-40 and paint thinner to clean your guns. I didn't believe it until my great uncle did it to his Kimber Eclipse 2, and every other handgun I've seen him clean. Some cleaning products are as some others suggest, just something they sell you to take your money for making you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

I use Lubriplate Mil Spec. That is what we used in the military and it works well.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Shoot_First
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Shoot_First »

MoJo wrote:I get blank stares when I tell people what I use to lube my guns. Mobil 1, or any other full synthetic motor oil in a 10W30 or better range. The higher the heavy viscosity, the better. For grease buy a can of quality auto wheel bearing grease. Synthetic grease is preferred.

What do I use? I use Mobil 1 oil, and Rydol grease. Rydol is a biodegradable grease that has a property of filling the little groves and valleys in eventhe most highly polished metal. It is also slicker than, well you know.

I rarely use anything other than oil on any of my guns but, when grease is used it's only on parts that slide. :tiphat:
+1 for Mobil 1. It will normally stay on the hot barrel while shooting at the range even when 5-6 mags one after the other.

TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

Shoot_First wrote:
MoJo wrote:I get blank stares when I tell people what I use to lube my guns. Mobil 1, or any other full synthetic motor oil in a 10W30 or better range. The higher the heavy viscosity, the better. For grease buy a can of quality auto wheel bearing grease. Synthetic grease is preferred.

+1 for Mobil 1. It will normally stay on the hot barrel while shooting at the range even when 5-6 mags one after the other.
For the record, what viscosity are we talking about?

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

TheCytochromeC wrote:
Shoot_First wrote:

For the record, what viscosity are we talking about?
I used 0w20 on rotating parts and TW25B grease on the sliding parts. I also run the firing pin areas clean and dry. I'm not sure the oil weight makes much difference. The synthetic oils are just good stuff!

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Be aware of ambient temps.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Commander Cody wrote:Be aware of ambient temps.
Are you Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen? (Music Group)? :smilelol5:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

mewalke

Post by mewalke »

TheCytochromeC wrote:While we're at it I thought I might add you can use WD-40 and paint thinner to clean your guns. I didn't believe it until my great uncle did it to his Kimber Eclipse 2, and every other handgun I've seen him clean. Some cleaning products are as some others suggest, just something they sell you to take your money for making you feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Just be careful with either of these on certain finishes. Most people don't realize it, but WD-40 is about 50% solvent and only 15% mineral oil, so it actually does a great job of cleaning things.
glock27 wrote:Food machinery grease... wont stain dont smell non toxic
:iagree: The only problem with using some automotive products is that they can be toxic. For about the same price per use, I would go with food grade grease for sliding parts like the rails.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”