1911 comparison

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
davenewman12
Posts in topic: 3

1911 comparison

Post by davenewman12 »

I am currently looking at purchasing a 1911. I do not want to break the bank with a Coonan or Kimber. I want something solid, dependable, and reputable. I am open to suggestions. This will be a home defense gun, so it won't be carried or shot regularly after the initial getting used to the weapon phase. Thanks in advance.
NRA Member
Glock 19- locked and loaded
Springfield XD SC 9- locked and loaded
Matthew 28:19-20

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1911 comparison

Post by Beiruty »

Look into SIG 1911.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

flechero

Post by flechero »

Another option would be a Springfield Range Officer- available at Academy. (I'm assuming you want a full size, all steel gun)

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Based on your wish for an inexpensive 1911, I recommend Rock Island. These pistols have developed a very loyal following for their rugged reliability and lifetime warranty.

One source: http://centerfiresystems.com/search.asp ... ock+island

To learn more about Rock Island 1911s, go to http://forum.m1911.org/forums.php
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
davenewman12

Post by davenewman12 »

See I haven't really done my research on the 1911s, so I can't really speak intelligently on them. I have looked at a few. If like to have a full size. Now all I own is subcompacts and compacts. I do want a all steel gun. No lights, or lasers or anything will be going on it. I appreciate all the feedback. A lot to look into so far.
NRA Member

Topic author
davenewman12

Post by davenewman12 »

https://us.armscor.com/products/2011-hi ... ctical-9mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is the difference between the 2011 and the standard 1911s? I have seen from a few firearms makers the 2011 and they seem to carry a heavier price tag. I think I want to stay with 9mm seeing that's all in own now and I have a lot of ammo.
NRA Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The 2011 is sort of a marketing gimmick. It means different things to different companies, but it usually means it's a double-stack design and it has a rail.

The double-stack makes for a much wider grip than a standard single-stack 1911, but you do get more ammo in the mag (not a bad thing).
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

I'll second the Springfield RO suggestion, and the RIA pistols are an outstanding value.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

el_chupo_

Post by el_chupo_ »

Springfield loaded or Range Officer, then send it in to SACS for a reliability package.

Then run a whole lot of ammo through it to make sure it functions like it should.

Then trust it for defensive use.

jl39775

Post by jl39775 »

davenewman12 wrote:I am currently looking at purchasing a 1911. I do not want to break the bank with a Coonan or Kimber. I want something solid, dependable, and reputable. I am open to suggestions. This will be a home defense gun, so it won't be carried or shot regularly after the initial getting used to the weapon phase. Thanks in advance.
Ruger SR1911 CMD will not break the bank. It's loaded for the price and looks great. I got mine for under $700 and very pleased
NRA Member
USAF 93-97

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

davenewman12 wrote:I am currently looking at purchasing a 1911. I do not want to break the bank with a Coonan or Kimber. I want something solid, dependable, and reputable. I am open to suggestions. This will be a home defense gun, so it won't be carried or shot regularly after the initial getting used to the weapon phase. Thanks in advance.
I think any 1911 from any reputable gunmaker will do you fine, regardless of price. The vast majority of 1911s I carried were military issue rattletraps, that were well used, abused, and "put up wet" so to speak, but never failed to function and always hit COM at 25 yds. MHO

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

I'll second the RIAs. I liked Pawpaw's RIA 1911 so much that I was going to get one of my own. I paid ~$130 for a RIA 1911. Sadly, when I opened the box, it had a Kimber Stainless II in it. :evil2:

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

RottenApple wrote:I'll second the RIAs. I liked Pawpaw's RIA 1911 so much that I was going to get one of my own. I paid ~$130 for a RIA 1911. Sadly, when I opened the box, it had a Kimber Stainless II in it. :evil2:
After reading this, I put my RIA 1911 in the box and closed it, then opened it. Still a RIA 1911. :cryin

No worries though, I'll thrid the Rock Island Armory/Armscor. It is a solid pistol and shoots great. Had some issues with failure to feed, but tweeking the magazines a little made it run perfect. Had a smith smooth up the trigger and now it is joy to shoot and I carry it from time to time.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

xring
Posts in topic: 2

Post by xring »

I have an STI Spartan that I am very happy with. Mine in in 9mm ( a 45 is available) and I have used it for IDPA. I have accessorized it with the same options as those on my Kimber custom Target 45 although it is not quite in the same league as the Kimber I have been very impressed with it for the price.

xring
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”