shield 9mm failure to eject

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ixslr8
Posts in topic: 3

shield 9mm failure to eject

Post by ixslr8 »

I picked up a shield a few weeks ago and was disappointed with it as first. I ran 75 rounds of WWB through it the first day and had 5 failure to ejects, the case would be 1/2 to 3/4 way out of the barrel and the next round be attempting to feed. Yesterday i ran 100 rounds of my defense ammo 124 gr +P ranger t, 100 PPU, and 100 rounds of remington 115 gr. all of these rounds ran flawless. has anyone else had failures with the shield and wwb? I've always heard the WWB was a weaker load but this is the first time i've experienced it for myself. It does seem to me that the shield's spring is really tight compared to my g19, g26, g23 or my m&p 9c.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Re: shield 9mm failure to eject

Post by jmra »

Now that you've run some 124 through it I would try the 115 again. I would also do a lot of dry fire exercises. Unlike glocks, some firearms need an extended break in period.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

grumble
Posts in topic: 1

Post by grumble »

Trying not to overlook the obvious - did you field strip it and give it a good lube before you took it out to the range? If it was NIB they can be pretty dry.
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

Topic author
ixslr8

Post by ixslr8 »

after the first time out, i did clean and lube it along with a lot of dry firing/slide racking. all of the ppu/remington was 115 gr. grumble, i did not clean/lube before taking it out, but i never have with any of my other pistols either...

jmra

Post by jmra »

ixslr8 wrote:after the first time out, i did clean and lube it along with a lot of dry firing/slide racking. all of the ppu/remington was 115 gr. grumble, i did not clean/lube before taking it out, but i never have with any of my other pistols either...
Were all of your other pistols Glocks? If so, that would explain why you didn't have trouble with any of your other pistols. :mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

japacejr

Post by japacejr »

I probably have ~400 rounds of WWB thru my Shield 9mm without any issues. But a while back I realized that I had not ever fired my carry ammo (Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX). So I popped in the 7 rd magazine that has been loaded with the Hornady ammo for 6+ months. I racked the slide but the first round failed to load so I had to rack it again. The 1st round ejected and loaded the 2nd. I fired twice and the 3rd round failed to eject cleanly and got stuck. Needless to say, having two failures in 7 rounds had me a bit rattled.

But being fairly new to guns and gun care I read and watched some videos on cleaning the M&P pistols and found that my technique left a lot to be desired. In addition I suspect I was anticipating and not holding my wrist strong enough. So after a much more thorough cleaning and with a strong grip I ran 50 rounds of Hornady thru it without a hitch.

-Chip
12/17/2011: CHL Received

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

You don't have to clean a new Glock. They expect you to go shoot it right away. You do have to clean the S&W. I bought a 9mm M&P Shield and cleaned it before firing. I've never had a failure with it with any ammo. It shoots well enough. I just bought it because it's small. I still usually carry my Glock 23 or Glock 30 most of time. :cheers2:

Mike Lochabay

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Always take a new gun down and give it a careful once over and lubricate it, even Glocks. Look it over make sure there aren't any damaged parts etc. Just because a gun is new doesn't mean it's properly lubed or not broken from the factory. Most guns from the factory are costed with rust preventive not lubricant. Some guns need a few cycles to get them in the groove a very few don't and almost any 1911 will need a bit of a break in period.

As long as your gun is functioning properly now I would not worry about the early malfunctions. Remember a dirty but lubricated gun is going to work a clean dry gun won't work for long if at all. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

I have a Shield and have never had a FTE. It probably has about 500 rounds down the pipe by now. I've never tried the WWB ammo though. I did not clean it before going out to try it when it was new. I just took it out of the box and started sending rounds down range. It has been a good pistol thus far.

I also have a M&P 9c, a M&P 40c and a SD40 and have never had any issues with them either. They all have performed flawlessly from day one. Never cleaned any of them before their first rounds.

YMMV. :tiphat:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I carry a 9mm Shield probably 80% of the time now. I have about 600 rounds of WWB through mine with ZERO malfunctions.

I have about 100 rounds of Federal HST 124gr through it with ZERO malfunctions.

Redhat

Post by Redhat »

mikeloc wrote:You don't have to clean a new Glock. They expect you to go shoot it right away. You do have to clean the S&W. I bought a 9mm M&P Shield and cleaned it before firing. I've never had a failure with it with any ammo. It shoots well enough. I just bought it because it's small. I still usually carry my Glock 23 or Glock 30 most of time. :cheers2:

Mike Lochabay
Well...I took my new Shield out last week without any cleaning or lube and fired 100 rds through it with no problems...go figure.

Some ammo has a different profile extractor groove on the case. If it works with other brands, you might have your answer.

Topic author
ixslr8

Post by ixslr8 »

i've also had a m&p 9c that had zero malfunctions before i traded it for a shottie. if you guys with a shield happen to run some WWB, let me know how it does for you. i did some searching and it seems that lots of people have had issues with failure to eject in the shield. I'll run several hundred more rounds through it before i'm willing to carry it.

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

I have a Shield in 9mm and never had an issue with it. Can someone tell me what WWB ammo is, might sound like a dumb question but I honestly don't know.
Skip Bishop

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

SkipB wrote:I have a Shield in 9mm and never had an issue with it. Can someone tell me what WWB ammo is, might sound like a dumb question but I honestly don't know.
Winchester White Box
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

Thanks Keith. I've used those before without any trouble.
Skip Bishop

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”