Traveling with Firearm inside Texas

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Cshuff21
Posts in topic: 2

Traveling with Firearm inside Texas

Post by Cshuff21 »

I am taking a short flight next week inside Texas and want to take my firearm with me. I haven't flown with it yet and wanted to get some advice before I get there to check it in with the Airline. Any tips or thoughts would be a great help.
"Suns up...Guns Up" Texas Tech!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Traveling with Firearm inside Texas

Post by Keith B »

Cshuff21 wrote:I am taking a short flight next week inside Texas and want to take my firearm with me. I haven't flown with it yet and wanted to get some advice before I get there to check it in with the Airline. Any tips or thoughts would be a great help.
Several previous discussions on the forum. Here is a good link for reference http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Search feature will find you some others as well.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Unloaded; locked in a hard-sided case; ammo in boxes (preferably original or re-used originals); in CHECKED bag.

My usual "patter" upon arriving at the counter for check-in is to show my photo ID and state loud enough for the agent to hear, but NOT loud enough for others, "I am declaring an unloaded firearm and one box of ammuntition in my checked bag packed in accordance with TSA and XXXX Airline guidance. I always have a printed copy of the page from the TSA web site as well as a printed copy of the page from the airlines web site detailing the requirements for checking a firearm and ammuntition just in case you get an uneducated agent. BE POLITE if they are not knowledgeable and show them the printed page if they have any questions. Do not argue, simply ask for a supervisor if there is an issue.

Most times from my normal departure airport the agent just takes out the TSA required card, enters the flight number on it, hands it to me to sign and tells me to put it in the bag on top of the gun case. Airports can be different. A couple have asked me to open the case and show them it is unloaded (I always pack my pistols with the magazine out, slide locked back and a chamber flag inserted). A couple have insisted that the card be placed inside the locked gun case--This is not correct, but do not argue. If your bag is searched by TSA they will look for the card and do not have access to your locked box combo or key. A couple of airports will tell you to go to a TSA station (NOT the security screening for passengers) and TSA will search the entire bag opening all of your toiletries, ask that you open the gun case (or demand that you give them the key) and then fill out the card. One airport TSA agent demanded that I give him the key to the case and that he was going to take the bag "in the back" to search. I refused to let the key and case together out of sight. He relented and opended the bag in the middle of the check-in area. There are some horror stories out there, but for the most part, the agents and TSA are cooperative if you are polite and professional with them and have done YOUR HOMEWORK about how to pack the gun and ammo and professionally interacted with them in the initial declaration.

I have transported by air in Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and Colorado. 95% of the time no big deal. I would not travel without unless going to a state that does not have reciprocity or recognition of a Texas CHL.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Cshuff21
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cshuff21 »

good deal, thank you for the info.
"Suns up...Guns Up" Texas Tech!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

AF-Odin wrote:Unloaded; locked in a hard-sided case; ammo in boxes (preferably original or re-used originals); in CHECKED bag.

My usual "patter" upon arriving at the counter for check-in is to show my photo ID and state loud enough for the agent to hear, but NOT loud enough for others, "I am declaring an unloaded firearm and one box of ammuntition in my checked bag packed in accordance with TSA and XXXX Airline guidance. I always have a printed copy of the page from the TSA web site as well as a printed copy of the page from the airlines web site detailing the requirements for checking a firearm and ammuntition just in case you get an uneducated agent. BE POLITE if they are not knowledgeable and show them the printed page if they have any questions. Do not argue, simply ask for a supervisor if there is an issue.

Most times from my normal departure airport the agent just takes out the TSA required card, enters the flight number on it, hands it to me to sign and tells me to put it in the bag on top of the gun case. Airports can be different. A couple have asked me to open the case and show them it is unloaded (I always pack my pistols with the magazine out, slide locked back and a chamber flag inserted). A couple have insisted that the card be placed inside the locked gun case--This is not correct, but do not argue. If your bag is searched by TSA they will look for the card and do not have access to your locked box combo or key. A couple of airports will tell you to go to a TSA station (NOT the security screening for passengers) and TSA will search the entire bag opening all of your toiletries, ask that you open the gun case (or demand that you give them the key) and then fill out the card. One airport TSA agent demanded that I give him the key to the case and that he was going to take the bag "in the back" to search. I refused to let the key and case together out of sight. He relented and opended the bag in the middle of the check-in area. There are some horror stories out there, but for the most part, the agents and TSA are cooperative if you are polite and professional with them and have done YOUR HOMEWORK about how to pack the gun and ammo and professionally interacted with them in the initial declaration.

I have transported by air in Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and Colorado. 95% of the time no big deal. I would not travel without unless going to a state that does not have reciprocity or recognition of a Texas CHL.
Very thorough and useful information! :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

E10

Post by E10 »

I'm sure all that stuff works for Wild Bill, but when I fly Southwest, all I have to say is, 'I have a firearm,' when I check my bag and the attendant always knows what to do. Other airlines I dunno, 'cause if SW doesn't fly there, I don't go.

Murindo

Post by Murindo »

SW has always been "gun friendly".

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”