Self healing targets

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Self healing targets

Post by CoffeeNut »

puma guy wrote:Thanks for posting. I am going to try them out. I ordered one of their larger targets as well and was able to use a promo code for $15 off (basically pays for shipping) Promo code is "spring" is any are interested.
No problem! I hope you like 'em. :txflag:
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

I looked at some reviews for the "Big Gong Show" reactive target and it was mixed.

Some complained it didn't move much (others suggested oiling it for better response) while others complained the frame could'nt stand up to being hit.

So, I kept looking and found steel plate type targets by Jumping Targets and Caldwell targets that are really nice, but they range in cost from $90 to over $200. You do, of course get what you pay for...

So, I'm looking at making my own reactive target using an old bench swing A -frame to hang the targets on. I won't be using steel targets. Too dangerous for the area I'm shooting in.

I haven't quite come up with what I'll use for reactive targets, but string tied empty, plastic drink bottles or plastic coke bottles or ...? O.K., I'm still pondering. I won't make a mess like shooting glass bottles or crockery, as I'm very conscientious about leaving the field clean and neat.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by puma guy »

Abraham wrote:I looked at some reviews for the "Big Gong Show" reactive target and it was mixed.

Some complained it didn't move much (others suggested oiling it for better response) while others complained the frame could'nt stand up to being hit.

So, I kept looking and found steel plate type targets by Jumping Targets and Caldwell targets that are really nice, but they range in cost from $90 to over $200. You do, of course get what you pay for...

So, I'm looking at making my own reactive target using an old bench swing A -frame to hang the targets on. I won't be using steel targets. Too dangerous for the area I'm shooting in.

I haven't quite come up with what I'll use for reactive targets, but string tied empty, plastic drink bottles or plastic coke bottles or ...? O.K., I'm still pondering. I won't make a mess like shooting glass bottles or crockery, as I'm very conscientious about leaving the field clean and neat.
I remember Charles Cotton asking members what sort of material (plastic) was utilized for self healing targets. I don't recall if he ever got a response, though. I assume it's some sort of polymer.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gringo pistolero »

C-dub wrote:Daughter and I have used and still use the orange cube. We take it my parents' place up in KS and just put it on the ground, step back a ways, and blast away. Since it moves or rolls when hit the feedback is easy to see.
:thumbs2: Those are fun. I don't see much advantage to the self-healing material for poppers and gongs but I live out in the country and it's easy to find someone who can weld if you don't.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

TEA

Post by TEA »

I bought one of the self sealing targets a couple of Summers ago (the Big Gong Show). As you mentioned, hollow points aren't recommended. It works better with my pistol with my rifle, though, because at longer ranges I can't really tell if I hit the target or not (it doesn't swing when I hit it with .308). In fact, even with pistol, it doesn't swing much with pistol, either, unless I hit it in the lower half of the target. I was able to pick up an AR500 steel gong that is also a bit bigger for about 2x the price of the Gong Show and am much more satisfied.

Here is a review of the Big Gong Show that I posted on another forum.
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118105

VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

C-dub wrote:
Abraham wrote:I'm very interested, but I wonder how well you can tell where you hit before the self-healing aspect comes into play?

Lately, I've been shooting 5.56 - 62gr FMJ's at a 100 yds. I use a 20 X 60 spotting scope. With the scope, I can easily see where I hit. I use paper plates with orange stick on bulls eyes.

It would be nice not to have to change out the targets.

Thanks!
It's not always easy and especially after 10-50 rounds. That's why the reactive targets are good. Especially something like this, which I would like to try this summer when we go back up again.
[ Image ]
I have one of those.....the gong is fine but it doesn't move very much....so can be hard to tell a hit from a distance....say 100 yards....and the frame lasted about a week. The frame is flimsy and one or two hits with a .22 will do it in.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Abraham wrote:I looked at some reviews for the "Big Gong Show" reactive target and it was mixed.

In my experience those complaints are accurate. It doesn't move much, one reason being that the bullet passes right through it so it doesn't get hit with as much force as a steel target that deflects the round. Oiling it didn't seem to work that well for me...or didn't really matter....since the frame was unusable within about a week.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

TEA

Post by TEA »

Slightly off topic, but I highly recommend spending a little extra $$ on a steel target based on my experience with both kinds. A good steel target will last virtually for ever (well, maybe not forever, but at least for most if not all of the lifetime of the user). One might need to repair or replace the frame and/or hanger, but the target itself will take a licking and keep on ticking. The gong I bought not only makes a loud ringing sound when hit that I can easily hear through my earmuffs out to 300yds (maybe further, I just haven't shot it past 300yds), but also swings way more than the Gong Show. This Magnum Targets has good prices and quality. http://www.magnumtarget.com/

This is the one I bought: http://www.magnumtarget.com/targets/#!/ ... d=22654575 Soaks up .308 FMJ at 100yds with no marks except to the paint and makes a nice loud ring when hit that I can hear through my muffs out to at least 300yds.
Last edited by TEA on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

TEA wrote:Slightly off topic, but I highly recommend spending a little extra $$ on a steel target based on my experience with both kinds. A good steel target will last virtually for ever (well, maybe not forever, but at least for most if not all of the lifetime of the user). One might need to repair or replace the frame and/or hanger, but the target itself will take a licking and keep on ticking. The gong I bought not only makes a loud ringing sound when hit that I can easily hear through my earmuffs out to 300yds (maybe further, I just haven't shot it past 300yds), but also swings way more than the Gong Show. This Magnum Targets has good prices and quality. http://www.magnumtarget.com/
I can even hear mine at 100 yards shooting 22 LR.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by puma guy »

VMI77 wrote:
TEA wrote:Slightly off topic, but I highly recommend spending a little extra $$ on a steel target based on my experience with both kinds. A good steel target will last virtually for ever (well, maybe not forever, but at least for most if not all of the lifetime of the user). One might need to repair or replace the frame and/or hanger, but the target itself will take a licking and keep on ticking. The gong I bought not only makes a loud ringing sound when hit that I can easily hear through my earmuffs out to 300yds (maybe further, I just haven't shot it past 300yds), but also swings way more than the Gong Show. This Magnum Targets has good prices and quality. http://www.magnumtarget.com/
I don't think my range would allow a shooter to set up their own steel targets. I think these self healing targets would be ok. I'm going to check before using them of course.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 7

Post by CoffeeNut »

puma guy wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
I don't think my range would allow a shooter to set up their own steel targets. I think these self healing targets would be ok. I'm going to check before using them of course.
My range won't allow steel targets to be set up but they had no issue with these. I don't think you can compare this to a steel ringer unless you get their targets designed to be used with steel ;-) . These are fun and I've certainly had fun shooting them.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

TEA

Post by TEA »

puma guy wrote:I don't think my range would allow a shooter to set up their own steel targets. I think these self healing targets would be ok. I'm going to check before using them of course.
CoffeeNut wrote:My range won't allow steel targets to be set up but they had no issue with these. I don't think you can compare this to a steel ringer unless you get their targets designed to be used with steel ;-) . These are fun and I've certainly had fun shooting them.
Good point. When I belonged to the Austin Rifle Club, they didn't allow steel targets except for silhouettes and spinners on the .22 range. I set up my steel gong out at my father-in-law's half section with plenty of empty forest and the Navasota river as a backstop.
Last edited by TEA on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

puma guy wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
True, it's a different consideration at a public range. I have my own ranges set up on my own property.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

kinda like shooting T-1000 from Terminator 2.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

JR's 12 Valve

Post by JR's 12 Valve »

I also like these self healing targets. A friend and I have hit it with everything from a .22lr to a .45-60 and it keeps on going.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”