Sig P238 7 Round Mag Problem

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stratman
Posts in topic: 1

Sig P238 7 Round Mag Problem

Post by Stratman »

I bought from Sig their 7 round mag for a new P238. The problem is the mag popped out when the pistol fired and continued doing this. Being a slow learner I figured it was a bad mag and got another one from Sig. Same result. The 6 round mag that comes with the gun never fails. Im wondering if anyone else has had this problem and been able to determine if this is a problem with Sig P238 models handling the 7 round mag, or does Sig have a problem with their 7 round mags?

jbarn

Re: Sig P238 7 Round Mag Problem

Post by jbarn »

I have two of those mags. You are either not inserting them fully or your thumb or palm is creeping up on the mag release when you shoot. The 6 round mag allows your hand to sit differently.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

I've got three of the 7-rounders, and haven't had an issue. I think jbarn is right - make sure you fully seat the mag. Listen for the "click" when you slide it home. It might need a firm tap to seat it; it is a snug fit when the mag is full.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

No problem with our 7-rounder mags.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:If you are pushing it all the way in (test with an empty magazine first) and it's still not locking into place, the magazine-catch in the pistol might be faulty eg. the edge rounded off or similar.
:iagree: I have seen the same issue with a rounded off edge.
NRA Endowment Member

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Stratman wrote:I bought from Sig their 7 round mag for a new P238. The problem is the mag popped out when the pistol fired and continued doing this. Being a slow learner I figured it was a bad mag and got another one from Sig. Same result. The 6 round mag that comes with the gun never fails. Im wondering if anyone else has had this problem and been able to determine if this is a problem with Sig P238 models handling the 7 round mag, or does Sig have a problem with their 7 round mags?
I have one from Academy that I have to push harder on for it to fully seat compared to the one that came with the gun but otherwise no problems.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Spanky

Post by Spanky »

I had this problem with a few 7 round mags. It is due to lack of engagement between the mag catch and the slot it goes into on the magazine.

I fixed it by using needle nose pliers to slightly flare out the slot in the magazine. I made a slight lip (.025") on the slot and it fixed the problem on all of the mags.

asbandr

Post by asbandr »

My p238 came with the 7 round mag, and I bought the 6 round flush mag for better concealment. Haven't had an issue with either mag. Wondering if you've sorted out the problem and what it was.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

berettadave

Post by berettadave »

Being the 7 round magazine has the plastic grip extension attached to the bottom of the magazine, could it be that the grip extension is bottoming out on the bottom of the frame before the catch engages in the magazine slot?

HadEmAll

Post by HadEmAll »

berettadave wrote:Being the 7 round magazine has the plastic grip extension attached to the bottom of the magazine, could it be that the grip extension is bottoming out on the bottom of the frame before the catch engages in the magazine slot?
That's exactly the problem with the 7 round mags for the P238's cousin, the P290RS. You've got to push on the magazine base itself, not the plastic grip adapter, to ensure a good magazine latch.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”