What are stores in Houston to sell or trade-sell firearms?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Pelham123
Posts in topic: 1

What are stores in Houston to sell or trade-sell firearms?

Post by Pelham123 »

If you can not find the right trade, with private citizens on various auction/trading sites; what are fairest local gun stores to trade/sell to ?

Teamless

Re: What are stores in Houston to sell or trade-sell firearm

Post by Teamless »

If you trade or sell at a store, you will lose 1/2 the value of the weapon.
just letting you know.
sorry I don't know where to make these transactions at, other than possibly a pawn shop.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I have been told that Tomball Pawn gives good trade values. A buddy of mine drives from Alvin to go there when he wants to trade. The deals he has gotten the last two times are better than he would get anywhere else I know of.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Gander Mountain buys used guns. Not sure if fairest, I haven't sold a gun...ever.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

Pelham123 wrote:If you can not find the right trade, with private citizens on various auction/trading sites; what are fairest local gun stores to trade/sell to ?
What do you have that no one here would want? :fire

djdonte

Post by djdonte »

Don't waste your time. Whatever that little blue book says your gun is worth, they're gonna offer you half. And that's if its in like new condition. They have to make money too after all. Give Texasguntrader.com a shot... There's gunbroker.com too but I've never used it. If you are worried about meeting strangers with guns just require the buyer have a CHL and meet in a public place. You will get a much better price that way.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Every time I have traded in a gun, I would imagine the lowest price I would sell it for and that seems to be what I was offered. Never got pleasantly surprised at a store. They have to get 20 or 30% minimum on resale to make it worth their while. The only time that is worth it to me is if I have a gun I don't want and I am trading for a gun I do want. Painful, but at least I come out of it with something new.

That said, almost any gun store will offer you value on a trade or money. It is just a matter of how much and what are you willing to sell it for.

I would post it here first before going to gunbroker and such.

BigBangSmallBucks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

djdonte wrote:Give Texasguntrader.com a shot... There's gunbroker.com too but I've never used it.
I've used both so I can vouch for both sites, but they both have their pros and cons. I've sold sever guns using Texasguntrader.com and it's a fine site, it just has the whole Craigslist dynamic going on. You'll hardly find anyone on there that wants to pay your selling price so list high that way you'll have wiggle room. People also like trading there too but out of the 6 or so guns I've sold I've only had one person offer me what I considered a fair trade. As far as Gunbroker.com goes IMO it's a better site to buy firearms on than to sell because they charge selling fees like ebay plus when a seller commits to buy you have to find a way to receive their payment and they have a "PayPal" type of system but that also charges fees. So you could sell something for $480 but after after all the fees only end up receiving $400 and that doesn't even include the expensive shipping cost. I think UPS or FedEx (I forgot which one) charged me $67 once to ship. :???:

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:As far as Gunbroker.com goes . . . . you could sell something for $480 but after after all the fees only end up receiving $400 and that doesn't even include the expensive shipping cost....
Gunbroker is nowhere near that expensive. Fees on a $480 sale would be $12.63 plus any special listing fees you chose (like boldface title, featured listing, thumbnail image) which are generally $0.25 to $1.00 or so.

Here is the formula for Gunbroker final value selling fees:
  • Final Value: Final Value Fee*
  • $0 - $25: 5.0% of the final value
  • $25 - $1,000: 5.0% of the first $25 ($1.25), plus 2.5% of the remaining value
  • Over $1,000: 5.0% of the first $25 ($1.25), plus 2.5% of the amount between $25-$1000 ($24.38), plus 1.25% of the amount over $1,000
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:... I think UPS or FedEx (I forgot which one) charged me $67 once to ship. :???:
When selling, generally the cheapest way to ship is to find a good local FFL. For example, a handgun can be shipped USPS by an FFL for $15 in postage. I've been charged as low as $20 to ship a handgun via FFL. Plus, shipping charges are usually added to the final selling price as a pass-through charge.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

BigBangSmallBucks

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

Jumping Frog wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:Gunbroker is nowhere near that expensive. Fees on a $480 sale would be $12.63 plus any special listing fees you chose (like boldface title, featured listing, thumbnail image) which are generally $0.25 to $1.00 or so.
Does that include the fee they charge you to accept and transfer payment from the buyer?

MarshalMatt

Post by MarshalMatt »

Collectors Firearm's at Richmond and Fondrant. Very fair, but as stated, they are there to make money. You will come out with them as good as anyone in terms of them giving you a "fair" deal.

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

MarshalMatt wrote:Collectors Firearm's at Richmond and Fondrant. Very fair, but as stated, they are there to make money. You will come out with them as good as anyone in terms of them giving you a "fair" deal.
Based on what they sell used guns for and transactions I have overheard I dought they give fair value.Dont get me wrong I have bought many guns from them but I have overheard people getting very low balled there.

One example... They have a savage 223 rifle on the shelf it has been there for 8 months. why? Because its used and scratched up and they want over 820 for it. On a bad day you can buy a brand new one for 740. I bought one at the gun show brand new for 690 including tax.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:... the fee they charge you to accept and transfer payment from the buyer?
I don't understand the question.

When I have sold guns on Gunbroker, people sent me a check or money order. I waited until they were cleared or cashed, then shipped the gun(s) to them. I had an FFL that would ship an outbound handgun for about $15, but the shipping cost was always paid by the buyer.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Pelham123 wrote:If you can not find the right trade, with private citizens on various auction/trading sites; what are fairest local gun stores to trade/sell to ?
first of all welcome to the forum Delt! ;-) Glad to have you with us! As others have said, trying to trade or sell your gun in a gun store will only get you AT THE MOST 50% of fair market value of your gun. I'd say that's even on the high side with, IMO, a more realistic amount would be 35%-40%. Doesn't matter if it's a gun store or a pawn shop. They'll grab a Blue Book, estimate the condition, then reduce what they look up by another 15%-20% just as a pad. That's been my observation over the years.

IMHO, the BEST place to sell or trade your gun would be at the largest gun shows you can find. Carry it around with you alllllll day, and you'd be surprised at the amount of people coming up to you and asking if your gun is for sale and how much you want for it. Do NOT go to the tables where the dealers have new guns. Go to the tables where the only thing you see are used guns. Do no be insulted at the offers you get. If they try to low ball you, say "thanks, but I'll shop the market." And just go to the next table.

I don't know where you are located, but I always had the best luck at the Original Fort Worth Gun Show at Will Rogers, and the Dallas Arms Collectors Gun Show in Dallas at Market Hall. I had a table at both of those shows way back when I was collecting guns.

Hope that helps. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

joe817 wrote:IMHO, the BEST place to sell or trade your gun would be at the largest gun shows you can find. Carry it around with you alllllll day, and you'd be surprised at the amount of people coming up to you and asking if your gun is for sale and how much you want for it.
I've also printed in LARGE boldfaced font something like "Ask me about my Remington Model 1100 Shotgun for sale", or ask "Ask me about my S&W Model 41 for sale". Printed it at home and then taped the sign to my back while walking around the gun show.

When selling a long gun, it lets people know that the gun slung over my shoulder is being sold instead of a new purchase. When selling a handgun, that pistol case or gun rug in my hand is for sale, not a new purchase. Generated a lot of people asking.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”