Cleaning your Carry Piece

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bryan1980
Posts in topic: 4

Cleaning your Carry Piece

Post by bryan1980 »

I've only carried for about 2 1/2 days thus far, and I'm already noticing quite a bit of "debris" building up on my pistol. Mostly pocket lint, it appears. My question is, how often do you feel the need to give your carry gun a good cleaning? I'm thinking at least once a week right now.
5/21/14 - Submitted online app.
5/24/14 - Class
5/27/14 - Submitted CHL-100 & checklist
7/18/14 - Plastic in hand

TheDude
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cleaning your Carry Piece

Post by TheDude »

I carry IWB so it's not going to be needed quite as often as with pocket carry. I do carry a Kahr CM9 in my pocket sometimes. Are you using a Pocket Holster? If not, then I suggest you start using one. It will help keep crap out of your gun and it keeps the gun upright where you can have a clean draw.

When I pocket carry I check the gun everytime I take it off for junk. If I have carried all day and sweated I wipe it down with a little oil. Moisture can come through the lining of your pockets. I ususually IWB carry a G19 but I carry the CM9 enough to have realized that a pocket holster is a must for me. I think you will find it helps a lot if you aren't already using one.

nyj
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nyj »

Sounds like you need a new holster, if you're even using one at all.

Topic author
bryan1980

Post by bryan1980 »

Sorry I didn't specify this initially. I'm carrying IWB with a kydex/leather hybrid holster. I know the "pocket lint" reference might have thrown you off, but that's the best way I can describe what I'm seeing.
5/24/14 - Class

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

It may be the type or amount of oil/lubricant you are using. I use Gibbs Brand penetrating lubricant which does not attract dust or dirt, but protects the metal. Rem Oil and lots of other types of oil have a real tendency to collect lint and dust. And a lot of people over-oil their guns as well. You don't need a coating of oil, just get it on the metal and wipe it off.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

nyj

Post by nyj »

bryan1980 wrote:Sorry I didn't specify this initially. I'm carrying IWB with a kydex/leather hybrid holster. I know the "pocket lint" reference might have thrown you off, but that's the best way I can describe what I'm seeing.
I assumed you were pocket carrying. I've never had an issue with debris while carrying IWB. What kind of gun are you carrying? I'm going to agree with Keith about the lubricant.

Topic author
bryan1980

Post by bryan1980 »

I'm carrying an XD-s. Right now, I'm using Hoppes gun oil, but I'll look into Gibbs. I just put one drop on each of the oiling points detailed in the manual.
5/24/14 - Class

nyj

Post by nyj »

As long as it's not dripping with oil. I personally, only oil a couple of spots. If lint is making it's way inside the slide, chamber, etc. then you may be over lubricating. Otherwise, it's fine.

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

Most of that fuzz would burn off with your first shot...lint burns easily. No worries, you certainly won't accumulate enough to affect the action unless you never shoot or clean it. Think of how soft and fluffy the lint is from your dryer...and you are nowhere near that quantity. Worry about illegal and unaccompanied minors from Guatemala...not this!

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

I've seen this build up on my XDm 9 (carrried IWB in a CompTac MTAC Hybrid) from time to time. I normally see it around the trigger and around the rear sights. I usually just blow it off (meaning I literally blow the lint off of my weapon, not ignore it).

I use oil sparingly. I use Rem Oil. I probably clean my weapon monthly on average. I will also wipe it down if it gets really sweaty.

My two cents...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I clean after every range trip, but otherwise I just eyeball the mung-levels, and when they get high enough, I clean the gun. But I don't worry that much about it. Also, I carry OWB most of the time, so that may contribute to it being less of a problem for me.

What I do notice is a gradual buildup in the exterior nooks and crannies of baby powder. Yeah...... I'm THAT guy. I usually apply some baby powder on my torso after I dry off from a shower, and before I dress. With guns like my XDS or XDM, the textured areas of the grips will eventually acquire small deposits of white powder in the corners......like lint particles, but much smaller. I keep an old toothbrush around to brush it out of there.

Internally, my guns don't seem to get too mucked up. I am usually more concerned about corrosion, since I sweat a lot. I inspect the exterior of the gun every day when I take it off. If I haven't been to the range in a while, then I probably would strip and clean the gun every month or two, just to make sure the lube is still there. Guns like Glocks, M&Ps, and XD/XDMs are generally built to take some abuse. Most everybody has heard of the famous Glock torture test. Less well know is that S&W and Springfield have also subjected the M&P and XD lines to torture testing. These guns are not race-ready custom 1911s with itty-bitty tolerances. They are working guns with forgiving specs. It doesn't mean that you should abuse them, but neither does it mean that a little bit of lint in the rails is going to cause your gun to seize up...... as long as you are careful about lubrication.

By the way, ever since being turned on to it by a customer service guy at Brownells, I've been using Fire Clean to clean, lube, and protect my guns. Seems to work like a champ, and so far it is the most effective one I've seen of all the "wonder CLP" products.....and ONE bottle does it all: dissolve deposits, lift them off the metal, lubricate the metal, and protect it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
bryan1980

Post by bryan1980 »

Thanks for the replies. I understand it might have sounded like a minor problem, but I'm new to this and just trying to get all the pointers I can from those who have been carrying for a while.
5/24/14 - Class

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Regular brushing with a toothbrush makes quick work of "de-fuzzing". When lubing I put a drop of oil on a flux brush & then brush the oil on. This controls the amount of oil being applied.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

bryan1980 wrote:Sorry I didn't specify this initially. I'm carrying IWB with a kydex/leather hybrid holster. I know the "pocket lint" reference might have thrown you off, but that's the best way I can describe what I'm seeing.
If that holster is new and lined inside with leather, that fuzz will diminish as the holster breaks in.
You might be well served by unloading the gun weekly and blowing out any fuzz. Take a q-tip to any hard to reach corners. Add some oil as needed.

Note - You should not reload the same round into the chamber after cleaning. Once it's been racked once, toss it. Bullet Setback
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"Once it's been racked once, toss it."

For me, this is not something I do.

Why?

Because it's simple to tell if there's obvious bullet set back and the economics of doing this is quite high if you carry high quality Self Defense rounds.

Every time I shoot with FMJ practice rounds, I have to first dump my Self Defense rounds. I practice often enough that I'd be buying new SD rounds on a regular enough basis to be very costly.

Speer Gold Dot 9MM, 124 grain, JHP, +P aren't inexpensive.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”