XD variants

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

RJGold
Posts in topic: 4

Re: XD variants

Post by RJGold »

C-dub wrote:Well, this is just great! I thought I was getting close to picking out my first 9mm when I caught wind of this little XDs 9mm 3.3" gem and then I saw one in a shop this afternoon. The problem is that they also had it in .45 and the 4" versions. And then I come back to this thread to read about the XDm variants. I still think I might like the XDs variants for better concealability. I've even been picking up some 9mm ammo in anticipation of getting my first 9mm, whatever it will be. Now, I'm confronted with this nice little .45 for the same price that is also lighter than the 9mm. :grumble

Do an of you wise sages have any opinions on the choices in front of me? I also hear that the muzzle energy is only 10 pounds different between the two and favors the .45. So, it sounds like the only advantages the 9mm has over the .45 is that it holds two more rounds and the ammo is cheaper.
I can't help you on the XDs models C-dub. I can tell you that my XDm 9mm 3.8 is only slightly wider that the XDs .45 and holds 13 rounds in the flush mag and 19 rounds in the full size mag.

I've been well satisfied with it as an EDC weapon.

My two cents...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I already carry a G30SF as my EDC. However, there are times when it is not that easy to conceal due to wardrobe requirements and the fact that I like OWB for such a thick gun. When it would be appropriate, I think I would like the idea of a subcompact single stack. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to carry as many rounds as I do when I carry now, but I could probably still carry one or two spare mags to bring the total round count up to 13 since I'm leaning towards the XDs45. 5+1 and then at least on spare 7 rounder. An even 20 if I carried two spares.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RJGold
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RJGold »

C-dub wrote:I already carry a G30SF as my EDC. However, there are times when it is not that easy to conceal due to wardrobe requirements and the fact that I like OWB for such a thick gun. When it would be appropriate, I think I would like the idea of a subcompact single stack. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to carry as many rounds as I do when I carry now, but I could probably still carry one or two spare mags to bring the total round count up to 13 since I'm leaning towards the XDs45. 5+1 and then at least on spare 7 rounder. An even 20 if I carried two spares.
My point is that my XDm 9mm 3.8 is 1.18" thick. The XDs .45 is .9" thick. I have 13 +1 capacity (flush magazine). The XDs .45 has 5 +1 capacity. You have to decide if .28" of thickness is worth 8 rounds capacity. For me, the 1.18" is easily concealable and I like the round capacity. I carry 13 +1 in my pistol plus 13 more in my spare mag = 27 total on my person.

You may choose a different route. I'm just sharing what I did when confronted with the same choices.

My two cents.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LDB415 »

And the 9mm is almost assuredly lighter recoiling and more manageable. A good shooter can probably put 3 well placed shots of 9mm in the same time as 2 well placed shots of .45 due to the recoil and controllability. The XDM-c is a little larger in all directions but for that little bit extra you have 13 rounds instead of 7, almost a full reload without reloading. Good luck with your decision. I went through all the 9mm options before choosing the XDM-c.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Superman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Superman »

RJGold wrote:I can't help you on the XDs models C-dub. I can tell you that my XDm 9mm 3.8 is only slightly wider that the XDs .45 and holds 13 rounds in the flush mag and 19 rounds in the full size mag.

I've been well satisfied with it as an EDC weapon.

My two cents...
RJGold wrote:My point is that my XDm 9mm 3.8 is 1.18" thick. The XDs .45 is .9" thick. I have 13 +1 capacity (flush magazine). The XDs .45 has 5 +1 capacity. You have to decide if .28" of thickness is worth 8 rounds capacity. For me, the 1.18" is easily concealable and I like the round capacity. I carry 13 +1 in my pistol plus 13 more in my spare mag = 27 total on my person.

You may choose a different route. I'm just sharing what I did when confronted with the same choices.

My two cents.
Again, this ^^^ for me too.

Ammo capacity was the factor that pushed me over the edge. With my XDm Compact 9mm, I have 13+1 flush mag in the gun on my hip and a full size 19+1 extra mag (with the x-tension), giving me 33 rounds carried on my person all the time.

The only issue I've had is that it's not a pocket gun, but there are other options for that. If I'm carrying on my hip, there's no reason at all I can't carry my XDm compact.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/produ ... mpact-9mm/

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”