9yo Girl Accidentally Kills Shooting Instructor

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 9yo Girl Accidentally Kills Shooting Instructor

Post by longtooth »

I cant imagine the girl & what she will have to carry all the yrs. Her parents have WAY more responsibility in this than she. They will carry a heavy load too. Lord help them all w/ your grace & tender mercy.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Just speculation, I have heard he was just off to the left and the Uzi recoiled to the left and got him. Most comments I have seen elsewhere indicated he might have done better to be right beside or behind her and able to help keep the gun pointed down range. I hope he wasn't too far away just because someone wanted to video her shooting.

anyway, it is tragic all around.

rotor

Post by rotor »

baldeagle wrote:Loading any high powered weapon with more than one round, while training someone, especially a child, is a recipe for disaster. We've all seen the videos of women shooting a .50 cal pistol and the second round going off right in front of their face. Load a round and let them shoot it so they understand the recoil. Load one more and have them try it again. When they are properly handling the recoil, then, and only then, do you load multiple rounds in the weapon.
Absolutely correct. I have a S&W 629 (44 magnum) revolver. First time I fired it I had only one round in the chamber. I do not let any adult shoot it until they have tried it with one round only in the chanber. I would not let a child shoot it. This was a very unfortunate incident but entirely preventable. I consider this negligence letting a child handle a full auto Uzi.

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

rotor wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Loading any high powered weapon with more than one round, while training someone, especially a child, is a recipe for disaster. We've all seen the videos of women shooting a .50 cal pistol and the second round going off right in front of their face. Load a round and let them shoot it so they understand the recoil. Load one more and have them try it again. When they are properly handling the recoil, then, and only then, do you load multiple rounds in the weapon.
Absolutely correct. I have a S&W 629 (44 magnum) revolver. First time I fired it I had only one round in the chamber. I do not let any adult shoot it until they have tried it with one round only in the chanber. I would not let a child shoot it. This was a very unfortunate incident but entirely preventable. I consider this negligence letting a child handle a full auto Uzi.
Dunno Uzis, but I'd never have characterized any 9mm as a "high-powered weapon" though I can understand why some might. "Full-auto" does put the thing into another category entirely though as far as it being dangerous and/or tricky to handle.

Call me old-fashioned, but I really don't find giving a weapon like this to a nine-year old, for any reason, as something any parent should do. It ain't cute and it ain't smart. Of course, I was the kid who had the world's best Dad who got me a Red Ryder BB gun at age eight, over my Mom's objections exactly as Ralphie in A Christmas Story, and my first real gun was a single-shot 16ga shotgun (age 10 maybe?).

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

A video has been released showing the children of the firearms instructor addressing the little girl. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/0 ... ement.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The message in the video is a good one, but it is being released by a personal injury lawyer that they have engaged. I'm always skeptical, but this makes me a little questionable on the actual intent of the video. Hopefully I am wrong to doubt the reason.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Keith B wrote:A video has been released showing the children of the firearms instructor addressing the little girl. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/0 ... ement.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The message in the video is a good one, but it is being released by a personal injury lawyer that they have engaged. I'm always skeptical, but this makes me a little questionable on the actual intent of the video. Hopefully I am wrong to doubt the reason.
Just found that video and came here to post a link.
Powerful stuff.

Peace to all involved.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”