Ordered a Ruger LC9s

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
johncanfield
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Ordered a Ruger LC9s

Post by johncanfield »

Range report (outside my front door :txflag: ) for the little LC9s. Snappy and after 16 rounds my trigger finger was getting a bit abused in the small trigger guard. If the trigger was a little shorter, maybe my finger wouldn't be positioned between the end of the trigger and the guard. Also my finger was rubbing against the trigger opening on the frame. I can easily live with the trigger, it actually functions quite well and I was able to do a double tap.

Accuracy was impressive, I had a couple of flyers when I wasn't paying attention but the target speaks for itself. All in all, I think it will be a dandy carry gun but not something you would want to run a box or two of ammo through. I did have one casing hit me on my ball cap but that's not a big deal with a new gun.
Impressive considering I'm not that good of a shooter!
Impressive considering I'm not that good of a shooter!
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Final range report on the little Ruger. I probably have 150 rounds through it with one malfunction (a stovepipe with a factory reload - High Country Ammo, St George, UT), so I'm going to call it good for carry. I was going to run about 50 rounds through it yesterday and stopped after two or three magazines because my trigger finger was getting abused :???: .

Conclusions: it will be fine for a carry gun but it's not a lot of fun to shoot (for me anyway) due to my trigger finger getting 'abused' and due to its snap. The snap isn't unexpected due to its lack of mass but I think Ruger could have done a better job with trigger ergonomics.

CC Italian
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CC Italian »

Kind of my experience with the lc9. Good size but not fun. I went with the shield and while it is only 2-3 ounces more it is much easier on the hands.

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Two week carry report...

Wow, a single stack is a bunch easier to conceal than a double stack and the lighter weight is a little kinder to my back :thumbs2: . As much as I love my M&P9c, I think I'll switch permanently to the LC9s (or maybe get a Shield in the future) for EDC.

I had a "what the heck" moment a week ago when the magazine somehow wound up being released - how I have no idea since the magazine is very difficult to release without two using two hands (for me anyway.) Hasn't happened since but now I'm always checking.

n5wd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by n5wd »

I see you've been converted to the fold... Yeah, it's hard not yo like this gun. I need to order a shell for the gun for my Comp-Tac holster that's presently set up for my XD(m) 5.25" 9mm, since I very rarely carry that gun concealed any more (the first few days carrying it were fun, like getting away with carrying a cannon, but after a while...).

Maybe it's my big paw, but my trigger finger isn't getting abused by the trigger guard. Have you talkedwith Ruger about that problem?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

n5wd wrote:..Maybe it's my big paw, but my trigger finger isn't getting abused by the trigger guard. Have you talkedwith Ruger about that problem?
My finger winds up on the bottom of the trigger, I need to try to raise it up next time I shoot it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”