Gun suggestions for a co-worker

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Waco1959
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Gun suggestions for a co-worker

Post by Waco1959 »

WinoVeritas wrote:The Taurus 709 is an excellent carry. I have the 709 & 740. Taurus Millennium PT111G2 is another good option in double stack. M&P Shield or M&P9C also good options. Only problem with Taurus Slims is the current lack of spare mags - feast or famine - so if considered get one that has two magazines (stay away from the -FS as it's one mag).
I bought mine , and two extra mags, about 2 years ago when you could find them. The 709 fits my hand well and it fits the way I carry.

Jeff

LeakyWaders
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LeakyWaders »

VMI77 wrote:I second the P938. I can carry that gun anywhere, IWB, OWB, pocket, or ankle holster. I greatly prefer it to the LCP, and I even like it better than the XDs.
Another vote for the Sig P938.
Pants Up.......Don't Loot

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

If you tell where you are someone might be able to suggest a place to check and compare the guns and someone might even have one or two of them they could show her.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

An S&W J frame or a Taurus 85 ultra lite may be your coworkers best options. Both guns are straight forward in operation and the trigger pull of both can be tweaked easily by a competent gunsmith. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

Waco1959 wrote:
WinoVeritas wrote:The Taurus 709 is an excellent carry. I have the 709 & 740. Taurus Millennium PT111G2 is another good option in double stack. M&P Shield or M&P9C also good options. Only problem with Taurus Slims is the current lack of spare mags - feast or famine - so if considered get one that has two magazines (stay away from the -FS as it's one mag).
I bought mine , and two extra mags, about 2 years ago when you could find them. The 709 fits my hand well and it fits the way I carry.

Jeff
................But..........but....................friends don't let friends buy Taurus!! :lol:

I've had my 709 & 740 about 3 years, have plenty of mags as I bought when I ran across them at normal or less pricing (9 - 709 mags and 7-8 - 740. My favorite carry is the 740. I've had no problems with either and have no hesitation staking my life on either. Carrying M&P40C this month - don't want my CCW's to feel neglected. :smilelol5:

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

If the Sig 238/938 do not work maybe check out the Ruger LCR if revolvers are a consideration. It has a trigger that is far superior to the S&W models and the larger Hogue grip absorbs much of the recoil versus the standard S&W grips. The LCR now has an option for a model with a hammer (LCRx) so it could be cocked for a single action pull although not necessary if strength is a problem as mentioned.
Salty1

QB

Post by QB »

Well you mentioned a Ruger MK II .22LR. If she is going to do a field strip and cleaning and has arthritis and other issues, the may not be able to field strip the MKII. With that said, if .22LR is a consideration for now, I'd certainly rent a Ruger SR22.....has two different grips you can put on and has a safety that decocks the gun (some hate them some don't) and mine have been absolutely 100% (as has my Glock 42).

A very light gun and just fun fun fun to shoot at the range.

I would think that with arthritis, any small 380 and certainly small 9mms would be painful (I have arthritis and other joint issues so I know all about the pain certain guns can cause).

Bottom line is to certainly do what you are doing, have her actually shoot and handle the guns.....and don't forget about the field strip issue if she is going to maintain her guns.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

Glock 42

sammeow

Post by sammeow »

Ok, forget the Ruger LCP. It will be too snappy for a new shooter.
See if you can find a Ruger LC9s, new striker fired with a much better trigger.
The G42 might be a option.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Salty1 wrote:If the Sig 238/938 do not work maybe check out the Ruger LCR if revolvers are a consideration. It has a trigger that is far superior to the S&W models and the larger Hogue grip absorbs much of the recoil versus the standard S&W grips. The LCR now has an option for a model with a hammer (LCRx) so it could be cocked for a single action pull although not necessary if strength is a problem as mentioned.
If you put recoil absorbing Crimson Trace laser grips on the Smith the felt recoil is actually less than with the LCR.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

VMI77 wrote:
Salty1 wrote:If the Sig 238/938 do not work maybe check out the Ruger LCR if revolvers are a consideration. It has a trigger that is far superior to the S&W models and the larger Hogue grip absorbs much of the recoil versus the standard S&W grips. The LCR now has an option for a model with a hammer (LCRx) so it could be cocked for a single action pull although not necessary if strength is a problem as mentioned.
If you put recoil absorbing Crimson Trace laser grips on the Smith the felt recoil is actually less than with the LCR.
I have to disagree with you, I had the laser grips on my 637 and although somewhat better it was not even close to the less felt recoil level of the LCR. My 637 went bye bye and I kept the LCR solely because my wife could shoot it without cringing. Add to that the better trigger in the LCR and for us it was a no brainer...... But to each their own
Salty1

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

If she has trouble with the weight of trigger pull and has a small hand, go with a single stack Kahr CW9. Safety is in the length of the pull, which is very light. The grip is small. The gun controls 9mm recoil well despite being quite light (15.8 ounces, unloaded). My wife has no trouble concealing hers in her purse (despite my having purchased for her several methods of on-body carry).
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp
MSRP: $449.00 (often available for $399)
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jmra

Post by jmra »

The Annoyed Man wrote:If she has trouble with the weight of trigger pull and has a small hand, go with a single stack Kahr CW9. Safety is in the length of the pull, which is very light. The grip is small. The gun controls 9mm recoil well despite being quite light (15.8 ounces, unloaded). My wife has no trouble concealing hers in her purse (despite my having purchased for her several methods of on-body carry).
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp
MSRP: $449.00 (often available for $399)
[ Image ]
:iagree:
Bought one of these from a forum member a while back. Two mags, nice holster, and a 100 round box of 9mm for $240.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Salty1 wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
I have to disagree with you, I had the laser grips on my 637 and although somewhat better it was not even close to the less felt recoil level of the LCR. My 637 went bye bye and I kept the LCR solely because my wife could shoot it without cringing. Add to that the better trigger in the LCR and for us it was a no brainer...... But to each their own
I've got a 642 and an LCR and I start feeling the recoil from the LCR after only 10 rounds or so. I can shoot the Smith all day. Are we talking about the same grips....there are two versions for the Smith....one is hard plastic and the other is soft rubber with an air pocket on the backstrap. Some people just feel recoil differently. My wife is small and has small hands and has no problem with her 327 shooting .357 magnum loads, but I read complaints by men that the recoil is unpleasant. I find the recoil more unpleasant with a PPK in .380 than any of these other guns.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”