Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Minimum Gun Collection on a Budget

Post by drjoker »

Ok,

So, a new college grad asked me what would be a minimum gun collection on a budget? I told him that it depends on what he's going to do with it. I also told him not to look at the price of a gun when buying the gun, but instead, he should look at the price of the ammo. During the lifetime of a gun, the price of the gun itself is only a very small fraction of the total cost of ownership. The majority of the cost of a firearm is going to be ammo, followed by range fees, then the price of the gun should be the last consideration. Therefore, he should find out what the least expensive nearby range allows you to shoot. Then, narrow his choice by what is the least expensive ammo. Also, he should buy what is common and try to buy used so if he is pinched for cash, he could easly and quickly sell the gun for equal to or more than what he paid for it. Finally, he should choose the gun he likes. Based on the ranges in the North Dallas area and ammo prices around here, this is what I recommend if he hunts;

1. Centerfire Rifle - Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport: buy new at Grabagun for $560.

2. Handgun - Glock 19 or Glock 26: buy used at a gun show for $430 or less. Many LGSs sell police trade ins for about $430.

3. Shotgun - Mossberg or Remington pump action 12 gauge shotgun. Buy used at gun show for $200 or less. Many LGSs sell them as police trade-ins for about $200.

4. Rimfire Rifle - Savage bolt action at Grabagun for $165.

Total: $1355.

If you do not hunt, then I would suggest #1 and 2 or #2 and 3.

Total: $990 to $630.

The rationale is, you do not want a slick semi-auto short barrelled shotgun because Elm Fork range doesn't allow them. Just buy a plain Jane pump action normal length barrel shotgun. 12 gauge ammo is cheapest and easiest to find for shotguns. The least expensive rifle ammo that is domestically manufactured is the AR-15's 5.56/.223 ammo. You don't want to buy a gun that depends on foreign ammo such as an AK-47 because importation of foreign ammo could be banned simply by executive order, theoretically. Also, most milsurp foreign ammo is FMJ ball that most DFW ranges don't allow. The caliber that offers the least expensive centerfire domestic rifle ammo that is soft point is 5.56/.223. The least expensive handgun ammo would be 9mm. A police trade-in would be the cheapest option for 9mm. Glock barrels last forever so used shouldn't be a concern. Besides, most cops barely shoot their guns, anyways. Rifles, depending on what you want to do with them, could lose their accuracy after as few as 1000 rounds. Therefore, unless the round count is known and low, I suggest buying new. If you are never going to hunt nor shoot competitively, then go ahead and buy a used rifle if it is a fantastic bargain. Most self defense uses of a gun is inside of 20 ft. Any gun, no matter how shot out the barrel, will be able to make 2 inch groups at 20 ft. You can buy a shotgun used, too, because you're not shooting accurate single shots with a shotgun, but a "pattern" of shot. The supplies of ammo have normalized somewhat, so that's a relief. Otherwise, I'd have to recommend 17HMR or an air rifle instead of a .22lr rifle.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Feel free to chime in your opinion.

Thanks,
:tiphat:

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Minimum Gun Collection on a Budget

Post by mr surveyor »

I'll play....

1. Good quality snub that can easily be carried/concealed - either 38+p or .357 mag - Ruger, S&W, Colt .... (I prefer steel)
2. Reliable 1911 (4" or 5") ... pick one of many on the market
3. Shotgun .... I agree with the pump gun, if it's limited to just a single shot gun - my preference is the Mossberg 500 "Bantam" in 20 ga ... 22" barrel and no longer "OAL" than the conventional 12 ga 18-1/4" Mossy or 870. If the standard 500 or 870 is picked, get both a "shorty barrel" and a 26" barrel which can easily be swapped out for double duty as HD and hunting. The "Bantam" handles both chores pretty darned well with the single 22" barrel.
4. Rifle .... from a "traditionalist" standpoint I prefer lever guns .... 30-30, .38/.357, .44, etc. - multi-purpose

Individual examples of those four categories are the last four firearms I would relinquish possession of :)

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

My list: 9mm Glock pistol.

You said minimum.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

gigag04 wrote:My list: 9mm Glock pistol.

You said minimum.
Agree. More specifically, G19. Best balance between full size/sight radius/capacity and concealability; ammo availability/cost; firearm cost.

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

gljjt wrote:

You said minimum.
Agree. More specifically, G19. Best balance between full size/sight radius/capacity and concealability; ammo availability/cost; firearm cost.
If I were to go above this minimum, I would add, in order, a pump action 12ga (Mossberg or Remington) and a .22LR rifle, Ruger 10/22 ($209 new at Academy) or any of the other popular name brand semi autos in the sub $200 price range.

Center fire rifle? Depends on what you want to do, self defense, hunt small/larger game, target (fun) shooting, etc.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

That is a contradiction in terms. Gun collection and budget. "rlol"

I budget for each purchase but my collection grows every couple of months.

I guess the minimum would be one gun and whatever you can shoot well and still pay for.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

sookandy

Post by sookandy »

GP 100. No expensive mags to buy.
77/357
And then maybe a .22 like a 10/22 or RAR

Seabear
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Seabear »

Too many unknown variables, but I agree on a .22 and I think most people would get bored with a cheap bolt action gun.

My needs are basic,

If not hunting,
M&P 15/22 (allows learning the AR platform at a cheaper more enjoyable price for gun and ammo.) Academy $450-$500 might find cheaper but this is available in most stores.

For possible self defense as well as maybe getting into the competitive shooting world IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge,
M&P 9 Academy or other local GS $500

Funny, there seems to be a theme here. LOL "rlol"

If you want to hunt larger game,
Remington, Savage or Mossberg starter rifles with scope combos....$300-$400

Bird hunting any 12 gauge pump will do really.

In reality, hunting is an expensive proposal no matter what, and the firearm is not the biggest expense. In addition, if you get an invite from someone that can afford a lease I bet they have a gun to loan you. :thumbs2: no need to buy one just yet.
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

You said minimum.
:iagree:
Make a Glock 19 and that is minimum.

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

Glock, M&P Tomato, Pasta Sauce. LOL
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It sounds like the idea is to have one each of the basic types of firearms. I don't see anything wrong with the list that drjoker put up. However, what might be considered as minimum for one person could be far out of reach in $$$ for another. The new grad may not have any interest in a shotgun, thus being able to spend a few extra dollars on a 1911 if that's what he would like instead of a Glock. And with the prices of scary black rifles down where they are now, a fairly nice one can be had for under $1k. My Colt cost less than $1,300 when I bought it about two years ago and I've probably already spent more than that in ammo for it. The same goes for my Glocks. I've probably spent double their value in ammo at least.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

simianangel

Post by simianangel »

I think a collector on a budget should base their acquisitions on what interests them, instead of chasing what's popular for other people to collect. Following the herd only drives up prices. It would be a shame for someone with limited means to sink a lot of money into collectible Peacemakers or Garands if neither kind of firearm ignites a spark in their soul. On the other hand, if they always loved Peacemakers, a collection of one could mean more to them than a dozen other guns.

If the question is really working guns, the Glock 19 is a good One Gun if concealed carry is important to them. For many people on this forum, that's probably a good bet. On the other hand, a decent .22 rifle or .357 revolver might be a better One Gun for some circumstances.

patterson
Posts in topic: 6

Post by patterson »

I agree with earlier posts on a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 pump shotguns and also a 9mm handgun but before he commits on handgun rent some at a range first

patterson
Posts in topic: 6

Post by patterson »

And if he is on a budget he might not want to spend further money on aftermarket triggers and etc

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”