AR Pistol

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

carlson1
Posts in topic: 10

Re: AR Pistol

Post by carlson1 »

DaveT wrote:The forearm is totally legal, I also have a copy of the explanation from ATF to that effect. I can post it here if you need it.

The addition of a vertical foregrip is not legal and would change the weapon's designation from an AR pistol to a short barreled rifle.
If you can post it that would be great.

It appears everyone has their on ideal. I guess you need to carry a copy of a letter everywhere you go.

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nightmare »

If nothing else, this discussion proves how stupid the NFA and its supporters are.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Tank
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Tank »

carlson1 wrote:
DaveT wrote:The forearm is totally legal, I also have a copy of the explanation from ATF to that effect. I can post it here if you need it.

The addition of a vertical foregrip is not legal and would change the weapon's designation from an AR pistol to a short barreled rifle.

It appears everyone has their on ideal. I guess you need to carry a copy of a letter everywhere you go.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0qyloA ... li=1&hl=en

Page 3

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Tank wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Page 3
Thanks for the link Tank.

And welcome to the forum. Been lurking/reading a while?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

DaveT
Posts in topic: 9

Post by DaveT »

carlson1 wrote:

Carlson, the 3 page document that Tank posted the link to is exactly what I have.

I did not read it in detail like Tank did and has previously posted about. All I was interested in, and what I posted about, was the specific question and answer about the Magpul vertical foregrip, which is Question number 7 on page 3.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

DaveT wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Carlson, the 3 page document that Tank posted the link to is exactly what I have.

I did not read it in detail like Tank did and has previously posted about. All I was interested in, and what I posted about, was the specific question and answer about the Magpul vertical foregrip, which is Question number 7 on page 3.
But question 7 on page 3 is not about a vertical foregrip. It's about an angled foregrip.
Q #7: Can I lawfully install a Magpul AFG [Angled Fore-Grip] on the bottom accessory rail of the subject AR-15 type pistol?
A: Yes.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Tank
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Tank »

C-dub wrote:
Tank wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Page 3

I actually found this forum about a month ago when I was looking into getting my CHL. Got my status change! So should have it in the mail next week.

I frequent the AR forums ( ar15.com/M4carbine) quite a bit and I decided to comment on the vertical fore grip because this is a very common thought that a lot of people have when it comes to an AR pistol.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Tank wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Tank wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Page 3

I actually found this forum about a month ago when I was looking into getting my CHL. Got my status change! So should have it in the mail next week.

I frequent the AR forums ( ar15.com/M4carbine) quite a bit and I decided to comment on the vertical fore grip because this is a very common thought that a lot of people have when it comes to an AR pistol.
I lurk around over there a bit, but haven't logged on to ask any questions yet. Seems like someone else has already asked what I'm curious about most of the time, so I can just read those threads for the answers.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

My thanks to Brooks Colson at Heart of Texas Guns here in Abilene, Tx for posting this on FB last night:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

According the chart above the angled foregrip on a pistol is legal or am I missing something? According to question 7 on page 3 the angled foregrip is also legal.

This must be the most misunderstood question when it comes to AR Pistols.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

carlson1 wrote:According the chart above the angled foregrip on a pistol is legal or am I missing something? According to question 7 on page 3 the angled foregrip is also legal.

I think the chart & #7 say the same thing: AFG on a pistol is legal.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

LAYGO wrote:
carlson1 wrote:According the chart above the angled foregrip on a pistol is legal or am I missing something? According to question 7 on page 3 the angled foregrip is also legal.

I think the chart & #7 say the same thing: AFG on a pistol is legal.
That is how I see it too.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

To save some the bother of feeling like they need to correct me,
I'm not saying anything else on the subject.

Cheers ! :cheers2:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

DaveT wrote:To save some the bother of feeling like they need to correct me,

I am not correcting you. I think you are right. I especially like the visual of the chart, but the ATF letter backs up the chart.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

carlson1 wrote:
DaveT wrote:To save some the bother of feeling like they need to correct me,

I am not correcting you. I think you are right. I especially like the visual of the chart, but the ATF letter backs up the chart.
Old friend, rest assured that my comment was NOT directed at you !

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”