Has anyone noticed the decline of Texas Gun Trader?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 9

Has anyone noticed the decline of Texas Gun Trader?

Post by rotor »

This site used to be a wonderful place for me to find local sources for firearms, supplies, etc with a search by zip but for whatever reason they have completely eliminated this capability and unless you live in a major metropolitan area you just can't find anything close to you. Anyone know of an alternative? The site owners are completely unresponsive, they never answer an email. I don't know what their financial incentive is to run such a poorly organized site. The "if it aint broke don't fix it" moto just hasn't gotten through to them. They seem to have cornered the market though with volume and then ruined it. Any computer pros that want to compete and set up a better site and need a few bucks to help let me know. I am sure we can develop a "good" site with a responsive administrator. Maybe even break even.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Has anyone noticed the decline of Texas Gun Trader?

Post by carlson1 »

I have noticed it.

Also there appears to be one scam after another too. About two months ago a man was trying to purchase a firearm from me and I did a check on his FFL and it was a fraud. I prefer to stick right here.

WhoWouldGuess
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WhoWouldGuess »

Am I missing your point? There is a "proximity search by zip" option. Or did there used to be something else?

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

When it changed to the present format a few years ago I complained to the site owner, with no response. Before then, I hit that site at least every day. Now I rarely visit. I can't recall the last time I bought a firearm from a TGT listing.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

WhoWouldGuess wrote:Am I missing your point? There is a "proximity search by zip" option. Or did there used to be something else?
The search no longer works.

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I never liked it. Was it actually worthwhile long ago?

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

When you live out in relatively rural area where buying and selling may involve a long drive it is worth while. If you live in Dallas or Houston probably not. I have found many good deals locally in the past but no longer. Texas is a big place and driving 100+ miles takes a lot of the deal out of a deal.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've noticed it too.

I've sold a couple of guns on TGT over the years, but I have noticed that the newer interface is not quite as intuitive as the older one. The main thing I can't figure out is......since Dallas and Ft Worth are really just one big metromess.....why aren't they listed as one search on the city menu at the top of the page instead of as two separate cities (separated by El Paso). I live almost equidistant between the two cities, so I have to do two searches to find the gun I am looking for rather than one. AND, if I am selling a gun, I want it to show under both Dallas and Fort Worth, not one or the other.

They put "Midland/Odessa" together. Why not "Dallas/Ft Worth"?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

http://dallas.texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=727551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just saw this, I've done 2 deals thru tgt. both were great. but a hammer? really? :fire :fire :fire
'got to Texas ASAIC.

PBR

Post by PBR »

most are asking more than what guns cost brand new -- you rarely ever see a good deal on there anymore
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

I did a few transactions with it's help, main to get rid of some Marlin rifles that I didn't like. A few years ago I was on it everyday, but now I only get on every several months just before I purchase a new gun, to see if there are any better deals floating around nearby. It's mostly trash and scams it seems. A lot of small dealer selling marked up used guns. :grumble
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

sookandy

Post by sookandy »

I still use it. Most of the time it's to get a giggle out of some stupidly high priced ad. The CZ Evo for $1200 today was a laugh. I can snag something I want or sell something once in a while. It is what it is now. A while back I snagged a 1933 Polish Radom Mauser trainer for $250. Go look up the prices on those! If you can find one. ;-)

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have never had any issues using TGT. I have sold several firearms and have bought several firearms. I would assume it is like anything to do with the internet you should be at your highest level of alert and have two or three friends go with you.

stroo

Post by stroo »

I haven't bought or sold a gun on it in a long time. I did look at it recently and the pricing didn't look all that good. Since in live in north Dallas, I can't say the territory issue has affected me.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”