Best Guns For Seniors?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

screaminz2002
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Best Guns For Seniors?

Post by screaminz2002 »

Just went through this same scenario with my mother. Only two things she could operate without a hitch were the youth model 20 gauge pump and the carbine kit for the sig pistols.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Perhaps an over under 410 shotgun. She probably couldn't feed an automatic shotgun or even a pump. If she could break open an over under she would have a very lethal weapon with a tolerable recoil, not need a lot of aiming skill, and who knows, she might enjoy some trap shooting. Reloading is relatively fast. And your post should really be what is the best gun for a handicapped person not for a senior.

couzin

Post by couzin »

I agree - shotgun...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

stroo

Post by stroo »

She needs to get what she can operate and shoot. If that is a SA 22 LR/mag, so be it. A gun she can't operate and shoot is just a club and probably not one she can even swing.

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

rotor wrote:Perhaps an over under 410 shotgun. She probably couldn't feed an automatic shotgun or even a pump. If she could break open an over under she would have a very lethal weapon with a tolerable recoil, not need a lot of aiming skill, and who knows, she might enjoy some trap shooting. Reloading is relatively fast. And your post should really be what is the best gun for a handicapped person not for a senior.
I fully agree with the above, no need for a handgun when a shotgun would be easier and would do more damage quicker than a 22.
Salty1

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by drjoker »

AndyC wrote:
stroo wrote:She needs to get what she can operate and shoot. If that is a SA 22 LR/mag, so be it. A gun she can't operate and shoot is just a club and probably not one she can even swing.
Yep, that's the reality of it.

I don't even like the idea of the SA .22 I recommended - but I can't think of anything else she'd be able to handle. While I like the idea of a shotgun, it's already been said that she can't shoulder a long-gun (perhaps mount a laser to it so she doesn't have to shoulder it?). She can't handle the recoil of any decent caliber, and she can't cock a slide or pull a DA trigger.
Thanks, guys. She ended up getting the SA .22 magnum/.22 lr. She could hit five 8 inch gongs (steel plates) in less than 10 seconds from 7 yards. She could even operate it one handed while holding a flashlight with the other hand.

I suggested that she try a shotgun, a Beretta tip barrel, or a double action revolver with a lighter trigger, but she wouldn't hear it. She really liked the single action Colt clone in .22 magnum / .22 lr. That's the gun she wants.

I don't know what's up with that gun. Every female that's ever shot it loved it. I have lots of other better guns, but I enjoy shooting that one the most for some odd reason even though it's the cheapest gun I own ($130 Academy's annual Black Friday sale). It's kinda crappy. It has crooked sights so you have to shoot a little high and to the right for you to hit a target. It is made of pot metal. As crappy as it is, I don't expect to like it, but I do and every female that's ever shot it loves it. Makes no sense at all....!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I have a Mossberg 410 pump with an 18 1/2" barrel and a pistol grip.

There's virtually no recoil using 2 3/4" shells and can be shot from the hip with great accuracy.

However, I haven't shot it in a long time and don't recall if the trigger pull was strong or light...?

I think it was pretty light, but I'm not certain.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”