SIG P938 pocket carry?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 3

SIG P938 pocket carry?

Post by LDB415 »

I've been considering switching from my current wide 642 to a narrower pistol for pocket carry. I've read a number of good comments about the P938 so it's going on the short list of suspects. For those familiar with it for pocket carry a few questions.

How firm is the thumb safety? I'd want to carry it ready to fire and don't want to kneecap myself or worse if the pocket safety were to disengage.

Anyone pocket carrying the P938 rubber grip version? I like the extra round and pinkie space it provides but wonder if the extra length would be a hindrance on producing it and/or if the rubber grip would be to 'grippy' when trying to produce it.

Is there any specific ammo it really likes better or really doesn't like compared to others?

What else should I ask about this specific gun that I don't know enough yet to ask?

Thanks for any and all input.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SIG P938 pocket carry?

Post by G.A. Heath »

I have one with factory rubber grips, it's not quite the exact gun you will find in many of the gun stores though (like Ruger, Sig makes a lot of odd variants), and I will tell you I love mine. I have a 442 (non-stainless version of your 642) with the CT Laser grip, and I have to say the Sig gets carried a lot more. I have yet to find any ammo mine doesn't like, although it seems to get more accuracy with the Hornady stuff. The thumb safety is ambi, so accidental disengagement is a concern, but the solution is to carry in a quality pocket holster and keep only it and the holster in it's pocket.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I have a 238 and the thumb safety is very firm with a positive snap when its disengaged. In all the ways I've carried it for over two years it has never disengaged itself. The 938 has an ambi safety but it still has that crisp snap to disengage and doesn't just flick off. It needs a push but it is easy to do when properly gripped.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

My P938's ambi safety is positive, but not stiff. My pocket holster does not cover the safety, but I have never found it got knocked off safe. I suspect the length of the safety (or rather lack thereof) does not allow enough leverage to disengage it without a pretty hard knock.

My medium-sized hand wraps around the grip to the point that I don't see any need for the rubber grip. Of course, you are entitled to a different opinion.

I carry mine with the 7-round mag installed and the extra length has not been a problem. I do not carry in a pants pocket, though.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WhoWouldGuess

Post by WhoWouldGuess »

I pocket carry a P238 (almost the same size) in a pocket holster from Robert Mika (http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The holster covers the safety. I use the shorter magazine when pocket carrying.

Please note that the P938/P238 design allows the slide to be cycled while the safety is engaged, unlike the basic 1911 design. It takes a deliberate action to disengage the safety.

LeakyWaders
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LeakyWaders »

I occasionally pocket carry the P938 with factory rubber grips in a pocket holster from Robert Mika as well. I have both the square and round holster versions as some of my pockets are square and some are round.

I exclusively carry the extended magazine with one in the pipe.

Unlike WhoWouldGuess, I am unable to rack the slide while the safety is engaged.

I agree with PawPaw that the safety is positive but not stiff. I also carry in a hidden hybrid OWB holster. I have never accidentally disengaged the safety regardless of the method of carry.

As for ammo, I have used only 124 grain rounds in this hand gun and have never had a FTF or FTE. I only buy reloads from Freedom Ammunitions for the range and HST for SD.

I think you should ask yourself if you are comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, hammer cocked and the safety on.
Pants Up.......Don't Loot

SATX-Scrub

Post by SATX-Scrub »

I got an RGrizzle front pocket holster a couple years ago for my P938, for summer carry, and liked it so much its also my winter carry. Never had the safety budge, but on a few occasions I've noticed that my magazine release was pushed and the magazine was partially ejected. Not a big problem, but a feature nonetheless.

“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

LeakyWaders wrote:Unlike WhoWouldGuess, I am unable to rack the slide while the safety is engaged.
Are you sure about that? :headscratch

On both my P238 and P938, as well as others I have handled I have been able to rack the side with the safety engaged, provided the hammer is cocked.

If the hammer is down when the safety is engaged, you can't rack it because the hammer won't move.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

LeakyWaders

Post by LeakyWaders »

Pawpaw wrote:
LeakyWaders wrote:Unlike WhoWouldGuess, I am unable to rack the slide while the safety is engaged.
Are you sure about that? :headscratch

On both my P238 and P938, as well as others I have handled I have been able to rack the side with the safety engaged, provided the hammer is cocked.

If the hammer is down when the safety is engaged, you can't rack it because the hammer won't move.
I just tried racking the slide with the hammer cocked and it DOES rack. I tried with the hammer down and it DOES NOT rack. Thanks for the clarification regarding the hammer Pawpaw.
Pants Up.......Don't Loot

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

LeakyWaders wrote:I just tried racking the slide with the hammer cocked and it DOES rack. I tried with the hammer down and it DOES NOT rack. Thanks for the clarification regarding the hammer Pawpaw.
Thanks for clearing that up. You had me confused! I hadn't heard about any design changes, but you never know... :lol:

Now you know you can load your pistol and chamber a round with the safety engaged as long as you cock the hammer first. :tiphat:

Bobeder9

Post by Bobeder9 »

The safety is very positive on a 238. I had no issues locker carrying mine. For me, the extra pinky extension made it a little too long to comfortably conceal in my pocket. I think the rubber grips may stick a little too much in your pocket.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I can't say for sure what will work and what won't. I got my P938 for Christmas along with one for the wife. I carry in a Robert Mika pocket holster as of now and it seems to work pretty well. I do have the extended grip because I have large hands and without them my grip just doesn't feel comfortable.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I talked to my FFL today. The P938 with the rubber grips would be $687 OTD and rosewood grips for $661 to me. That seems like a good deal to me. I'm leaning toward the rubber grips for the 7 round mag and better grip surface.

Canon1d4

Post by Canon1d4 »

I just picked up a P938 and liked the way it fit in my pocket, but make sure you run some rounds through it. After about 20 rounds the hammer started following. See other thread. It's gone back to Sig now, for repair.

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Yes, I've been following that thread also and will definitely put it through it's paces. Good luck with yours.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”