CZ 1911

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CZ 1911

Post by RPBrown »

I would like to see it up close and personal before I make too may opinions. The MSRP would make it fall in the 650.00-750.00 range in the real world. Like the grips. the 5lb trigger pull would need some work for my liking though.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

airborned

Post by airborned »

I love cz and I love 1911's I need to hold one :drool:

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Meh.

There are so many good, proven, names building 1911's, how in the world would CZ distinguish itself from the competition? In that price range, there are a lot of great choices, including name brands like SA's Loaded model, the new Ruger 1911, Kimber, Para, S&W, etc. I am not even counting other cost effective choices like RIA.

Basically, they chose the single-most crowded market segment and have not expressed any way to distinguish themselves from an established group in a design that is expected to share a lot of commonality. . . .
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

boxermoose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boxermoose »

They have been making them for a while now under the Dan Wesson name. I'd guess this will be their value line

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

boxermoose wrote:They have been making them for a while now under the Dan Wesson name. I'd guess this will be their value line
Your statement misses the mark, but just barely.

CZ owns Dan Wesson, but they have totally separate production facilities.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Too much in my opinion, looking at wholesale prices the DW RZ45 is only $350 more (which to me would be worth the extra money). Not sure how those prices pan out at retail locations.

boxermoose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boxermoose »

Pawpaw wrote:
boxermoose wrote:They have been making them for a while now under the Dan Wesson name. I'd guess this will be their value line

The ad states "made in the us", are you so very sure they are made in seperate plants?

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

boxermoose wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:

The ad states "made in the us", are you so very sure they are made in seperate plants?
Positive. Dan Wesson is totally located in Norwich, NY. CZ is based in Kansas City, but I'm not sure exactly where the manufacturing is done.

A couple of years ago, Dan Wesson suffered a catastrophic fire which shut down all operations for several months while they rebuilt. Since they only produce about 5,000 guns a year, it didn't take long for the supply of Dan Wesson pistols to dry up. By all reports, CZ production and supply was unaffected.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I would trust SIG 1991s first. Very nice shooters for less than $1K.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

JCole

Post by JCole »

Pawpaw wrote:
boxermoose wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:

Positive. Dan Wesson is totally located in Norwich, NY. CZ is based in Kansas City, but I'm not sure exactly where the manufacturing is done.

A couple of years ago, Dan Wesson suffered a catastrophic fire which shut down all operations for several months while they rebuilt. Since they only produce about 5,000 guns a year, it didn't take long for the supply of Dan Wesson pistols to dry up. By all reports, CZ production and supply was unaffected.

The supply of CZ's was unaffected because they're made in the Czech Republic. (At least, before this 1911 came along.) CZ-USA, in Kansas, is just the importer/distributor. I wouldn't be at all surprised if these are made at the Dan Wesson facility, but I have no special knowledge.

For the record, I personally think that they already have a world-class pistol, and this doesn't do a thing for me.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote:Sig 1911s are nice shooters, but I don't like being beholden to a single company when my extractor breaks.
This ^^^ ......and why I don't buy external extractor 1911s either.

I think it is interesting that CZ has entered the market. They are known to manufacture quality pistols, and I'm sure that they've brought the same quality control to this gun. The only down side to this.......at least for me......is that you can get an $849 1911 with an extended ambidextrous thumb safety, a "bumped" grip safety with an extended beavertail, a skeletonized hammer, a skeletonized trigger adjustable for overtravel, and a real-world rear sight for roughly the same price.

What CZ has done here is to recreate the basic mil-spec 1911A1, with an improved front sight. I'd see this gun more in the $550-$650 range; either because the owner intends to use it as a platform on which to build a custom gun, or because its primary quality seems to be its "retro-ness".
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Well, as of yesterday rumor has it that a CZ rep said they are being made by Dan Wesson.

If true, then it speaks very well for the quality, however, I agree with TAM. I just don't see this pistol appealing to the typical purchaser of a "retro" 1911.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”