Sent a gun back to Taurus

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 6

Sent a gun back to Taurus

Post by CoffeeNut »

I know I know it's a Taurus so I should have seen this coming. Sadly for me though I really like the PT92, and not just because of the price but I had to send it back to Taurus this week.

The last range trip I brought it out and had the intention of running quite a bit of ammo through it but every time I went to release the magazine I could not depress the button. Taking a look at the release revealed that the button was actually spinning while I was firing it and had to be rotated back to the original spot in order to release the magazine. This happened with every magazine I own for it. It impossible for me to tighten it back up so I called up Taurus immediately.

I've owned the gun for roughly 2 years and have fired hundreds of rounds through it so I'm a little lost as to how the magazine release slowly loosened itself to where it freely rotates.

Customer Service was really friendly and walked me through the process of returning it since I've never done it before. It's on it's way to Miami now so I figure I'll update this once the gun gets back (allegedly 4 weeks from now) to see how the gun performs. They wanted everything that came original with the gun (box not mandatory) so I put the two magazines it came with in the box and I'm really hoping I get both back. I also made sure to spin the release as far as I could so that they clearly notice the problem and don't send it back without experiencing it.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

tms119
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Sent a gun back to Taurus

Post by tms119 »

Sorry to hear about that. I have heard that Taurus customer service is excellent though. I have a little TCP 738 that I had planned to pocket carry, but decided on going with something else. Taurus seems like a decent brand, but there is definitely some hate towards Taurus in this state lol.

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

tms119 wrote:Sorry to hear about that. I have heard that Taurus customer service is excellent though. I have a little TCP 738 that I had planned to pocket carry, but decided on going with something else. Taurus seems like a decent brand, but there is definitely some hate towards Taurus in this state lol.
They really were excellent over the phone. I don't think I've ever experienced CS people as nice as they are and I spoke to 3 different people over the course of 2 days. I've got two pistols from them and I like both of them. I consider this a minor issue so I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

maintenanceguy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by maintenanceguy »

Taurus had quality issues several years ago. That's still fresh in a lot of people's minds. I own two Taurus handguns. The fit and finish aren't as nice as a gun that costs twice the price but certainly better than cheaper guns. If you're satisfied with a Ford and don't need to drive Jaguars, Taurus is a fine gun.

tms119

Post by tms119 »

I actually have my eye on that Taurus PT 1911. Reviews make it out to be a great gun and its relatively cheap especially compared to other brands.

poppo

Post by poppo »

tms119 wrote:I actually have my eye on that Taurus PT 1911. Reviews make it out to be a great gun and its relatively cheap especially compared to other brands.
I have owned three PT1911s and still have 2 (both SS) They all were/are extremely accurate and I have had zero issues with them (as well as the Taurus revolver I own). From what I have seen, 75% of the Taurus bashing comes from people who "heard" or "read" something (often the same story repeated over and over). Another 24% comes from people who just can't stand that they paid 3X as much for something that is maybe 10% better. And 1% from people who have actually had a problem, like in this case.

I normally consider rails to be blasphemy on a 1911, but one of my PT1911s is railed and is my nightstand gun. Fit and finish is better than many of my higher priced guns.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

poppo wrote:
tms119 wrote:I actually have my eye on that Taurus PT 1911. Reviews make it out to be a great gun and its relatively cheap especially compared to other brands.
I have owned three PT1911s and still have 2 (both SS) They all were/are extremely accurate and I have had zero issues with them (as well as the Taurus revolver I own). From what I have seen, 75% of the Taurus bashing comes from people who "heard" or "read" something (often the same story repeated over and over). Another 24% comes from people who just can't stand that they paid 3X as much for something that is maybe 10% better. And 1% from people who have actually had a problem, like in this case.

I normally consider rails to be blasphemy on a 1911, but one of my PT1911s is railed and is my nightstand gun. Fit and finish is better than many of my higher priced guns.
[ Image ]
:iagree:

That's a fantastic looking 1911. I've been looking for one at my local stores but haven't seen one yet.

My negative comments about Taurus were in jest because anytime I post that I own a Taurus I get the typical hate that I've heard a thousand times.

I'm really impressed with their customer service so far and I'm currently carrying my Slim.

sookandy

Post by sookandy »

I've had a couple and never had any problems. Had to send the XDs back for the recall. Tomorrow I have to call Ruger to send back the Single Seven.

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Great, I'm a 1%-er. :biggrinjester:

I had a Taurus 85 few years back; I don't remember -exactly- what I did with it, but I got rid of it due to a bent crane. That is Not Supposed To Happen, normally. I also had a Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum, which I also got rid of, not due to any defects, but because it beat the ever-loving snot out of my thumb, despite being ported. Ever since, I've stuck to S&W for .357 and down, and Ruger for .45 and up, and never looked back. Smiths have better triggers (I own a 19-3 with a trigger to beat any Colt), and Rugers don't turn my hands into ground beef after a hundred rounds of "full-power" .44/.45 loads like Smith and Taurus do. As for autoloaders, Taurus, like S&W and Ruger, never "tripped my trigger." I stick with 1911s or an XD-45 for those.

That being said, I -do- have a couple Rossi rifles in the safe, and Rossi -IS- Taurus these days, so I'm not totally on the hate-and-skate bandwagon. I lurv me some 1892 lever-actions at Taurus prices. :fire

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

I bought one of the first PT-1911's off the boat and took it straight to the range, (no cleaning), and shot the snot out of it to see when it would fail on me.

Well, I got tired before the 1911 did. No stops, no failures at all. I still have this gun and it is still a great performer, after all, it's a 1911.

I also have a PT-99 that has had the exact same track record, no failures.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

tms119

Post by tms119 »

I've been rolling in my head of I want to buy a Ruger or Taurus 1911. Ya'll are making me lean towards that Taurus, especially since I'm a lefty.

patterson

Post by patterson »

tms119 wrote:I've been rolling in my head of I want to buy a Ruger or Taurus 1911. Ya'll are making me lean towards that Taurus, especially since I'm a lefty.
I have a Ruger SR1911 and have been really pleased with it,no ftf or fte so far but since you are a lefty it might not be the best choice since controls are not ambi

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

What'd it cost to send it to Taurus? How did you ship it?

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

Many companies improve both their quality control and customer service over a period of time, especially when they see that comments are hurting their business. I can remember when Toyota was considered cheap junk. One of these days, Kia will be a respectable brand.

Clearly Taurus has had issues in the past, but I have been seeing much less of that in recent years. I have never had one, but I recently bought a Rossi revolver (Taurus owns Rossi, which was previously a separate Brazilian company). Price was a big factor in buying this one, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and fit and finish. It compares very favorably with my S&W 686 which cost twice as much.

:tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

PBR

Post by PBR »

i have had a few taurus and never really had any issues with them -- the only thing i dont like about the versions i had was long trigger pull
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”