My son is right handed; left eye dominant

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas
Posts in topic: 2

My son is right handed; left eye dominant

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

So my son is getting of age to start shooting. I was teaching him some principles of sight picture and also letting him look through the scope. It became readily apparent that despite being right handed, he is most definitely left-eye dominant. Any one else have this situation? What sorts of tips would you give on how to make this work best? The handgun seems feasible; long guns, terribly awkward.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My son is right handed; left eye dominant

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My wife is that way. She has been able to sort out pistol shooting, but she hasn't really gotten the hang of rifle shooting with cross-eye dominance. She's uhhhh.... "older than her 40s"...... and doesn't seem inclined to put the effort into overcoming that. But if your son is young enough, it might just be easier to teach him to shoot rifles left handed, but to keep shooting handguns right handed and solve the dominance puzzle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

longhorn86
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longhorn86 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: But if your son is young enough, it might just be easier to teach him to shoot rifles left handed, but to keep shooting handguns right handed and solve the dominance puzzle.
:iagree: This

I am right handed, but left eye dominant. Over the years I have trained myself to be very comfortable shooting long guns left handed. With handguns, I have learned shoot with both eyes open, so it is a non issue.
NRA Life Member

jimd1981

Post by jimd1981 »

:iagree: :iagree:
Have him shoot rifles left-handed, if possible. It'll only be awkward until he starts getting excitingly small groups :cool:

Another choice is to mask his left eye, and have him shoot right-handed.
Use frosted Scotch tape or smear some unscented Chapstick on the left lens of his shooting glasses (you want light to come in, but no "picture").
This will force him to use his non-dominant eye, and he'll shoot pretty good once he figures it out.
Of course closing the dominant eye works, too, but not as well.

muleman

Post by muleman »

im that way and Ive always just closed my left eye....prob not ideal but im a good shot. Never knew any difference until i was grown.

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

jimd1981 wrote::iagree: :iagree:
Have him shoot rifles left-handed, if possible. It'll only be awkward until he starts getting excitingly small groups :cool:

Another choice is to mask his left eye, and have him shoot right-handed.
Use frosted Scotch tape or smear some unscented Chapstick on the left lens of his shooting glasses (you want light to come in, but no "picture").
This will force him to use his non-dominant eye, and he'll shoot pretty good once he figures it out.
Of course closing the dominant eye works, too, but not as well.
This work for us. He wasn't so much left eye dominant, but kept crossing himself up. I put a dollar bill behind the left lens of his safety glasses and worked like a charm. Next 2 days I put post it note and he worked himself out of it.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

As a young person, he can easily switch sides now and fully adapt.

I had to switch as an adult when I lost the sight of one eye.

I do not recommend shooting rifles one way and handguns the other. There is a lot of development that goes into trigger control and he is better off fully developing that muscle memory by primarily using his left trigger finger. This does not mean he should completely forego right hand development, as we all need to practice both strong and weak side. However, don't confuse him by doing one way for long guns and another way for handguns.

If he is left eye dominant, he will never shoot as naturally and quickly trying to use his wrong eye. This will be especially apparent if he ever gets into the shotgun sports. We use our eyes all day every day, and his left eye will continue to be naturally dominant. Trying to shoot with the non-dominant eye is like swimming upstream instead of downstream.

Way easier to reprogram a trigger finger and stance than our eyes.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

I am also. I've managed and really hasn't been an issue.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

I, too, am/was left-eye dominant and still am right handed. I only learned about the eye dominance thing about 2-3 years ago. It has never caused me any issues when shooting rifles. I've always closed my left eye until about a year ago when I started to keep both eyes open after getting an RDS for my rifle. Since I can only see the dot with my right eye I didn't think it would be an issue and it hasn't been.

When I first learned about my eye dominance issue I also figured out that I was lining up my handgun shots with my left eye. It was so automatic that I didn't even realize I was doing it. So, I began concentrating on using my right eye for shooting handguns for a year and it became much easier and accuracy increased. Then, last year, I began focusing on shooting handguns with both eyes open, but continuing to use the right eye for sighting. Accuracy has stayed about the same to slightly better, but speed has increased.

Then about two months ago my BIL came with me to the range to have some fun and started shooting my rifles with both eyes open on iron sights and was doing really well before I even realized I had both eyes open the whole time. COOL! I do dry fire exercises all the time and draw and acquire the sights without firing during the day and at night in the dark. I also have night sights.

Now, when I do the triangle thing with my hands, instead of coming to my left eye as before, they come straight in to my nose. Maybe another year or so and they'll come to my right eye.

Just my 2 cents.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Oh, and being able to shoot with either hand wouldn't be bad thing either.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I am the same and use it to my advantage. I shoot left handed but can also shoot right just as easy but see better with my left eye. It helps when hunting from a blind with the ability to adapt to targets from any angle. No need to worry, he will get used to shooting rifles made for right handed people, I have never even fired a left handed rifle.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

mrvmax wrote:I am the same and use it to my advantage. I shoot left handed but can also shoot right just as easy but see better with my left eye. It helps when hunting from a blind with the ability to adapt to targets from any angle. No need to worry, he will get used to shooting rifles made for right handed people, I have never even fired a left handed rifle.
Being able to use either eye, now, is helpful when I need to shoot off-hand, but my off-hand is still the weak link there. :lol: I don't practice that enough.

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

I am SO right handed I can't wear a sock on my left foot well. At the same time I am SO left eye dominant I can't close my left eye without very purposefully working on it. When I was young I could do things with my neck and my eyes were better, so I never thought anything about it. It was only within the last 5 years that I got back into shooting that I learned of my cross dominance. I was struggling at a carbine class and the instructor said - why don't you just shoot left handed with long arms? I didn't even know how to pick up the rifle with my left hand as the "trigger" hand. After a bit of practice, I can run a rifle pretty good left handed. It is a WHOLE lot easier (in my opinion) to train a finger than an eye.

We work with youth in a shooting program and this is what we have them do if they are cross dominant. JMPHO.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:So my son is getting of age to start shooting. I was teaching him some principles of sight picture and also letting him look through the scope. It became readily apparent that despite being right handed, he is most definitely left-eye dominant. Any one else have this situation? What sorts of tips would you give on how to make this work best? The handgun seems feasible; long guns, terribly awkward.
I had a similar thread on this same subject some time ago. I'll let you look it over here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=70072&hilit=+left&start=15

I took my brother in law's advice and switched her to shooting left handed. I've never regretted it. She instantly became a better shot, and has gotten better ever since.

I don't expect it'll be much of a problem with pistols, when the time comes. I do look forward to when that day comes!

Nowadays, she does it second nature. See this post for some inspiration on teaching your son:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44952&hilit=+youtube#p949333
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

My son is in LE and carry's a Glock. He is right handed and left eye dominant He simply just twists the pistol to the left - problem solved.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”