Kimber value

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Wes
Posts in topic: 3

Kimber value

Post by Wes »

Hi guys, was wondering if yall could help me with this. I've had a Kimber TLE/RL II for a while now, I am the second owner but know the first very well and it is in great shape. It was made Feb 2004 so it is a little older but only has maybe a thousand rounds down it. Problem is I want to get a new one and I am not sure what it would be worth if I sold it so was hoping to get some advice on it. Looking around the different gun sales sites I havnt seen anything close to it but did see another forum with an older Kimber value in the general range I was thinking which was $900-1000. I might be over estimating since new they are only $1200 but it shoots great and has been well taken care of. I value my weapons and keep them in like new working order and while it isn't perfect it's very good. Here is a pic of it, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but thought it was most applicable and did t want to post on sale thread until I had a reasonable price to add.
Attachments
image.jpg
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

PBratton
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Kimber value

Post by PBratton »

From the Blue Book:

Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
MSR $1,178 $1,050 $925 $825 $725 $600 $500 $425

Add $73 for TFS Model with threaded barrel (new 2014).
Add $61 for 9mm Para. (new 2014) or 10mm cal. (new 2013).
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
Wes

Post by Wes »

Didn't even know that was a thing, learned something new. Thanks! I know a picture is hard to judge but thoughts on what you think the grade is? It does have a couple small marks from adjusting the sites and you can see some of the general wear on the pic. I was thinking 90% which at $825 is a bit lower than my estimate but if that's what it is that's what it is. Thanks again.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

That external extractor may hurt you too. Apparently Kimber had a lot of trouble with them and a bunch of people are sour on them now.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

Wes wrote:Didn't even know that was a thing, learned something new. Thanks! I know a picture is hard to judge but thoughts on what you think the grade is? It does have a couple small marks from adjusting the sites and you can see some of the general wear on the pic. I was thinking 90% which at $825 is a bit lower than my estimate but if that's what it is that's what it is. Thanks again.
Wes, I'll take a shot at it. First off, please know I'm not trying to insult you. Secondly, grading is ENTIRELY based on observation and is VERY biased. Having only one pic to look at, I'll give you my honest opinion. But please know it's only my opinion.

I would give it a grading of 78%-83% based on the following:

It appears to have seen quite a bit of use. Overall fading on the slide. On the slide near the muzzle, the finish is really worn below the front sight blade. Under the recoil spring housing, the finish appears to be almost completely worn off. On the P.rail below the recoil spring housing, the lugs look to have had all the bluing/finish rubbed off. Under the ejector, the bluing appears to have been rubbed off. Below the rear of the slide, between the beavertail and the grip there is a large scratch. And on the grip safety, it is very scratched and the finish appears to have been rubbed off.

Please take all of that with a grain of salt. It's only my observation of looking at one photo. Lighting conditions, light reflection and angle of the lens could distort reality. In closing I have dealt a lot of used guns in my lifetime. In fact, I prefer a used gun to a new one. But that's only me. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Wes

Post by Wes »

No worries at all, I was looking for the feedback. It's easy to be blind to something you like. I do agree, it has some wear.

PBratton
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PBratton »

Pawpaw wrote:That external extractor may hurt you too. Apparently Kimber had a lot of trouble with them and a bunch of people are sour on them now.
My EDC is a kimber ultra with the external extractor. Never an issue in over 10 years. Certainly there were some that had troubles, Kimber looks to have overcome this issue though.

I'd have another one in a heartbeat.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”