Gunsmith in the Austin Area?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Taxman
Posts in topic: 3

Gunsmith in the Austin Area?

Post by Taxman »

Does anyone have one that they would recommend?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gunsmith in the Austin Area?

Post by A-R »

Taxman wrote:Does anyone have one that they would recommend?
Hank Fleming. But be prepared for a waiting list, extended turnaround time.

What kind of work do you need done?

Topic author
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

I have a H&R 999 Sportsman that is not cycling. Just needed someone who knows a little more than me to take a look.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

This is a do it yourself project. I have an h&r 929 that had the same issue. The plastic tip at end the main spring and guide assembly is probably broken. The entire assembly about $6 from
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/763800.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. take off the grips and you will see the assembly. Compare pictures at url given. Wear protection removing/installing, spring loaded.

Topic author
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

Thanks I will give it a look.

Weg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Weg »

I just took about half a dozen rifles for barrel threading to a place called Blackjack Gunsmithing on Pond Springs road. Guy seemed very knowledgeable. He charges $100.00 per barrel. He also does all other kinds of gunsmithing work.I'll post a review of the work on here when I get them back. He said it will be a 2-3 week turn around.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Weg wrote:I just took about half a dozen rifles for barrel threading to a place called Blackjack Gunsmithing on Pond Springs road. Guy seemed very knowledgeable. He charges $100.00 per barrel. He also does all other kinds of gunsmithing work.I'll post a review of the work on here when I get them back. He said it will be a 2-3 week turn around.
Dang, why haven't I heard about these guys until now? Since I just do "armoring" (riflescope mounting, sights, AR-15 builds, etc.), I wave off people that need "real" gunsmithing (I don't own a mill or lathe). I used to send them to a great gunsmith up in Georgetown, but he retired almost two years ago. I definitely need to check these guys out.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Weg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Weg »

Picked my rifles up today. Threading work was done very well and he met his commitment of 2-3 weeks. He also did a trigger job on one of my rifles that now breaks crisp and clean. I highly recommend this guy.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”