How to Ship a Firearm back to OEM?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 5

How to Ship a Firearm back to OEM?

Post by oohrah »

My head is spinning after I googled the subject, so I just wanted to confirm with those who have done it, that I'm on the right track.

I have to return my handgun to the OEM to replace a broken part. The OEM has provided an RMA# and a FEDEX shipping label. Their instructions were to put the unloaded firearm in a plain unlabeled box with the paperwork inside and the shipping label on the outside and take it personally to a FEDEX counter to ship it. This all seems perfectly legal.

They didn't say anything about telling FEDEX what was in the box, but everything I read on the web says I have to inform the shipper that it is a firearm, but they are not allowed to mark it as such. My one concern is that the FEDEX office in my town has a big fat perfectly legal 30.06 sign right outside the front door.

My next question is - how does the OEM get the firearm back to me? They can't just ship direct to me can they? I am not an FFL btw.

If you've been there, thanks for any advice.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

DocV
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How to Ship a Firearm back to OEM?

Post by DocV »

It isn't a problem. Drive over to the main office on Imperial with the handgun in the box. Tell the nice clerk what you are shipping.
The OEM can, and most likely will, ship the handgun directly to you.

Edit: Corrected street name

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

I have shipped 3 handguns back to OM via FedEx with preprinted labels and have never been asked what it was. I just asked for a receipt to show it was dropped off and on my way. If they asked I would not have a problem telling them, but I've never been asked. All three were shipped back to my home, which is perfectly legal since it's shipped by the manufacturer to you the original owner. No transfer involved. Good luck!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

When I returned one of mine to Taurus they provided a FedEx label and they told me a few times to let FedEx know it was a firearm. I did so and it made it there just fine and was mailed right back to the house via FedEx. They're not allowed to put anything on the box that even hints it is a firearm but I'm sure they put something in the system so they make sure it doesn't stray from ground shipping.

Hope you get your gun fixed and back to you soon!
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I've done it a few times and I did it just the way DocV and puma guy said. No muss... no fuss.

If it make you feel better to tell them, do so. I can't see where it really matters.

Good luck with the repair!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I sent a couple of guns to Beretta on two different occasions. It was about 6 years ago so not sure if things have changed. I put them in original cases/boxes and then put them in another box. I told the person at the counter what it was. Not a problem. I believe they required it be shipped ground. Don't forget to purchase insurance. Just out of curiosity. Why don't you call Federal Express and ask them? Call the main office in your area. They won't bite. :lol: Beretta shipped them back to me right to my house. I had to sign for them.

DocV

Post by DocV »

https://www.atf.gov/content/may-nonlice ... ct-carrier
May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
emphasis mine

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Thanks, everyone. Shipping out tomorrow. DocV, good advice.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

WhoWouldGuess

Post by WhoWouldGuess »

Judging by the counter clerk's reaction when I shipped a pistol back to the manufacturer, I think the RMA label has some sort of class code that alerts FedEx what is inside.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

DocV wrote:https://www.atf.gov/content/may-nonlice ... ct-carrier
May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
emphasis mine
If you look at the actual law, no notification is needed if shipping to an FFL.
18 USC 922(e) wrote: (e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Wanted to close the loop on my experience, in case anyone needs to do this and is concerned.

Used a Fedex box, affixed the label provided by the OEM, and took it to the counter. The label actually had the name of the OEM on it. I told the clerk it was a firearm, and she said "I bet it's a <insert OEM name>, we have a couple of those going out today." And that was it.

I tracked the package, it did not go overnight, so must not be the law as some have suggested. Dropped off on Friday afternoon, and not delivered until Tuesday. Last night (Thursday) I got an email that my return package was in the Fedex system, with delivery scheduled for Monday, and an adult signature required.

This is my first experience wirth anything like this and couldn't have gone smoother. Nice to know. When I get my gun back, I'll post about the repair experience.
USMC, Retired

rentz

Post by rentz »

oohrah wrote:Wanted to close the loop on my experience, in case anyone needs to do this and is concerned.

Used a Fedex box, affixed the label provided by the OEM, and took it to the counter. The label actually had the name of the OEM on it. I told the clerk it was a firearm, and she said "I bet it's a <insert OEM name>, we have a couple of those going out today." And that was it.

I tracked the package, it did not go overnight, so must not be the law as some have suggested. Dropped off on Friday afternoon, and not delivered until Tuesday. Last night (Thursday) I got an email that my return package was in the Fedex system, with delivery scheduled for Monday, and an adult signature required.

This is my first experience wirth anything like this and couldn't have gone smoother. Nice to know. When I get my gun back, I'll post about the repair experience.

yup shipping to the manufacturer is super easy (if you have a hub near by). Thankfully a fedex hub is right near my work so it took about 10min to ship out, clerked scanned it in gave me a receipt that was it.
I asked springfield if i had to do anything special before i sent it and they said no just put the label on and take it to a hub, had it back at my doorstep a week later (signature required)

rotor

Post by rotor »

Just one suggestion, when buying a rifle see if you can get the original shipping box that it came in. This is the outer box, not the box the rifle is in. It is a pain to ship a rifle back without a good box. Had that with Ruger. They only email the label.

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

That would work only if the box did not have anything identifying the contents as a firearm.
USMC, Retired

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”