Should I be concerned?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Should I be concerned?

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I've been shooting for years - almost on a weekly basis. Took my 7-year old son shooting for the first time today. His groups were much smaller than mine. Either he is really talented or I am really lousy. I hope it is the former.

TVGuy

Re: Should I be concerned?

Post by TVGuy »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:I've been shooting for years - almost on a weekly basis. Took my 7-year old son shooting for the first time today. His groups were much smaller than mine. Either he is really talented or I am really lousy. I hope it is the former.
Same thing happened when I got my wife into shooting. On the stationary, indoor range she always has tighter groups.

Luckily for my ego I'm much faster and more accurate in a Course of Fire or on the move at all. (for now at least)

Been quite proud of her, I'm sure you are of your son as well.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

That is awesome. Glad to see you introducing him to shooting. I would say that it is nothing to worry about, but something to be proud of and carry on like you have been. :thumbs2:

Who knows, maybe he will be an Olympian one day....

goose

Post by goose »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:I've been shooting for years - almost on a weekly basis. Took my 7-year old son shooting for the first time today. His groups were much smaller than mine. Either he is really talented or I am really lousy. I hope it is the former.
He is somewhere telling a buddy, "That awkward moment in a firefight when you have to tell your dad, 'I got this.' "
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

He probably did exactly what you told him to do. He doesn't have any bad habits [yet]. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

I would also agree with no bad habits yet and sharper eyes.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

There is a good percentage of the kids in our 4-H group that are better shots than me -- or the other coaches. Young eyes, steady hands and few bad habits make for excellent precision.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

This is why I don't take my wife to the gun range. She's not doing it right.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

.... he'll grow out of it .... I know I did :roll:

jd :lol:
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Kkpsiknl

Post by Kkpsiknl »

My 8 year old will not shoot my rifle he said the sights were wrong. I bought him a 10/22 and a scope he sighted it in himself after googling how. Kids amaze me more and more as I get older.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

WildBill wrote:
He probably did exactly what you told him to do. He doesn't have any bad habits [yet]. :mrgreen:
That and possibly better eyes.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Wait till he beats you in arm wrestling. That'll make a grown man cry.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

It's the flinch response. It took me years to decondition myself against it. My wife has no flinch response. Sounds like your son has no flinch either.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”