1st AR....questions!!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Cjwglock19
Posts in topic: 2

1st AR....questions!!

Post by Cjwglock19 »

I just purchased my first AR. Went with a DPMS Sportical as it is currently $499 at academy. It comes
With one magazine. What magazine brands, other than DPMS, have worked well for you?
Also, what optic recommendations do you have? I will use this gun to hog hunt/home defense.
Still learning when it comes to ARs so hope someone can help.
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Magazines for a DPMS

Post by n5wd »

Magpul magazines seem to be one of the "standards" in the AR world. I've never had one fail on me, though I'm not using it in a combat situation. They're not that expensive, and are readily available most anywhere guns and/or ammo are sold i.e Academy, Cabelas, gun stores, etc.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

isa268

Re: 1st AR....questions!!

Post by isa268 »

Primary arms for optics.
SW1911SC, SW642, M&P Shield 9mm, Caracal F, SuperNova Tactical, M&P22, SKS, AR15, Tavor, Winchester .22lr.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

You can find the Magpul magazines on line for as low as $8.00 each. I would spend a lot on an optic right now. As mentioned above Primary Arms makes several good red dots optics.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

carlson1 wrote:I would spend a lot on an optic right now.
Just to clarify this statement, because when said like this, a "not" is usually between "would" and "spend." Did you intend on advising to spend a lot or to not spend a lot?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Red dot sights, RDS, are great for quick target acquisition and would, therefore, be good for home defense. It would also be good for hog hunting. If you've never used an RDS, you might consider getting an inexpensive one (<$50) first to see if you like using one. Then, if you do and would like to get something better you can and if you don't, you won't have spent a big chunk of change on something you don't like.

I also like the PMAGs. There are others that also have good reputations, but I haven't tried them.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rentz

Post by rentz »

I'd buy as many magazines and ammo as you can, best to stock up now than if a rush happens during the election year.

Primary arms has some great stuff, it may not be aim point or eotech but it's really good

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

While I like the Magpul mags, I have a huge pile of surplus military mags. The good ones have a green follower. There was a guy that used to come to our town and sell mil surplus stuff. One time he had a box of 50 of the good aluminum mags with the green followers. He wanted $5 each for them. I offered him $150 cash for the box and took them home. They looked brand new. Not even a scuff or scratch on any of them. :hurry:
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Topic author
Cjwglock19

Post by Cjwglock19 »

Thanks for the insight so far!!
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

PMAGs have nearly universal acceptance in the AR-platform community.

For a pretty high quality inexpensive micro red-dot sight, check out the Holosun line. I've seen this model (MSRP $282) for sale in my son's gun store for $220: http://www.holosun.com/store/index.php? ... duct_id=96
ImageImage
ImageImage
PARALOW HS503C new small compact Is a red dot sight with the option of dot only or dot with circle reticle pattern. Employing new LED technology, the life time for one CR2032 battery can be up to 5 years. The sight may be installed on various firearms such as shotguns, pistols, rifles, air rifles and crossbows .

Features
  • Parallax free with unlimited eye relief.
  • Minimize vision obstruction with push button controls and streamlined housing design.
  • Solar and battery power supplies.
  • Switch between circle dot and red dot reticles.
  • Alway on power.
  • Battery tray.
  • With H/L riser mounts.
  • AR riser included. Adaptable to Picatinny and Weaver rails.
  • CNC machining with T6061-T6 aluminum housing.
Battery: CR2032
Battery Life: 20,000 hours for circle dot at mid brightness setting 50,000 hours for single dot at mid brightness setting
Brightness Setting: 10 DL & 2 NV compatible
It comes with two mounts, one that cowitnesses the BUIS in the lower 3rd, and one that cowitnesses in the center. I've held one in my hands and checked one out mounted on an SBR, and I found it to be a very good value for what you get - particularly when compared against the very pricey Aimpoint H1 and T1 Micros - and I was favorably impressed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I use Magpul in my Bushmaster, never had a hiccup with them. Enjoy, they are fun to shoot. Also that was great advice to stock up on ammo - I don't even own a 5.56 gun and I've been thinking about buying a few hundred rounds just because.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Since you're new to AR's, I suggest you skip the optics and get familiar with the iron sights. Optics fail, especially the battery powered ones. You want to know how to use the backup iron sights first before you graduate to the powered optics. Academy often has the Tapco mags on sale for $7 to $8. I'd wait until then to buy your mags. The Tapco mags are just as good as the Pmags but cheaper when they're on sale. Buy a LED light with mount on ebay for $10 if you plan on using for home defense. Most shootings happen at night.

Congrats! You'll like it.

I've resisted for years to buying an AR due to the high price, plastic/aluminum build (vs aK's steel and wood), and supposedly less reliability. However, with the rising cost of 3rd world labor and falling cost of automation, the AR is now cheaper than the AK. After I got one, now, the AR is my favorite rifle. I've forgotten about my Ak's. Zero recoil, light weight, easy to shoot, and very accurate. What's not to like? It's not very manly because it's not made of steel and wood, but who cares? Petite women and children have no trouble shooting it. The AK is too heavy for kids and tiny ladies to shoot easily with little to no training. The whole family can shoot it and have an afternoon of fun with it.

The AR was the first rifle my wife ever shot in her life and she shot bull's eyes all day long with just the iron sights.

Have fun!

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

For optics either Eotech or Aimpoint. Spend the extra and get the best, I got a Eotech and love it.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

Don't forget about Vortex, I have the original Strikefire and love it. I have it co-witnessed with my iron sights, great combination for the range and hog hunting.

PMags are great, Tapco mags are good too. This viewpoint will vary depending on who you talk to, but I have stayed away from metal GI mags. I know there are some reliable GI mags out there, but I haven't found any yet and I don't know enough about them to get the right ones.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”