Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry Advice Needed

Post by mr surveyor »

another vote for the Kahr CW9 or it's little brother the CM9

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

rentz

Post by rentz »

TVGuy wrote:
SBP2015 wrote:At this time I have a Glock 17 for home defense and a Glock 19 for my carry. Was asked today what I wanted to get for birthday this year. I was thinking of a HK P30SK for a second carry. Want to stick with 9mm. Any advice is appreciated.
I'd take a close look at the G 26. It's got all of the features you're used to in a package that's slightly smaller and lighter than the HK.

I love HKs, but that SA/DA trigger in a self defense situation is a major problem. Getting that first shot off with a harder trigger pull is tough to be accurate for many people.

A G26 is going to be very familiar to you and if you carry an extra mag, you can put a G17 or G19 magazine in your pocket that will give you 15-17 rounds after the initial 10 in the gun.

P30sk comes in light lem variant out of the box, no need to worry about that heavy first pull ....same pull every time and second strike capable

Topic author
SBP2015
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SBP2015 »

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will now try as many guns as I can before making decision ..

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

What?! Stick with "perfection". Get a Glock 43. :coolgleamA:
SBP2015 wrote:At this time I have a Glock 17 for home defense and a Glock 19 for my carry. Was asked today what I wanted to get for birthday this year. I was thinking of a HK P30SK for a second carry. Want to stick with 9mm. Any advice is appreciated.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

CleverNickname wrote:
If it's for carry, then why get a completely different gun whose only common characteristic with your current guns is the caliber? The grip angle will be different, the trigger pull will be different, the magazine release will be different, everything will be different. Stick with the same platform and get a G26.

I used to shoot IDPA with a guy who would shoot a different gun every match: a 1911 one week, a SIG the next week, and an XD the next. If he'd just stuck with one gun he'd have done a lot better than he did. Don't handicap yourself for no good reason.

Plus, by sticking with 9mm Glocks you can share holsters, magazines and spare parts, to some extent.
THIS!

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

CleverNickname wrote:
I used to shoot IDPA with a guy who would shoot a different gun every match: a 1911 one week, a SIG the next week, and an XD the next. If he'd just stuck with one gun he'd have done a lot better than he did. Don't handicap yourself for no good reason.
In theory of course, that's not true for everybody. Though I have my regular guns I shoot with, sometimes due to any number of variables, I switch my shotgun, or handgun, or rifle to shoot better. I stick to near identical platforms, but still, a Glock is no XD(M), nor is a Benelli a Beretta. Different things work for different people, especially for me. Broken knuckle means that sometimes shooting my Glock is not as comfortable as my XD(M), so I will switch and do far better. My last shotgun shoot, I switched mid-shoot to my Tri-Star Viper turkey gun, and shot skeet near flawlessly. My motor skills are trained for all of my guns, and they are all similar in features, such as mag releases, safeties (if applicable), trigger pull (relatively), design, and weight.

I don't mean to step on any toes, I just want to offer my opinion that sometimes it works for some people. But your point about going completely Glock is a hard one to beat, but I thought he was looking for a single stack concealable, not just a sub-compact. In which case, I choose a S&W or XD(S) over, due to the lack of even factory mag extensions for bigger hands.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

silverbear

Post by silverbear »

My carry platform is standardized on Glock - 17, 19 and 21sf. I found carrying a 19 was not much harder/different than a 26 so I traded it (although at some point I'll get a 26 back in the stable.) If you want another carry piece I would suggest a SW 642 for pocket carry. I carry the Glocks when out and about for the day, but pocket the 642 on short errands. They're fairly plentiful on the used gun sites and you can pick them up for around $350-$400 in really good condition.
I support the right to arm bears.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

TVGuy wrote:

I'd take a close look at the G 26. It's got all of the features you're used to in a package that's slightly smaller and lighter than the HK.

I love HKs, but that SA/DA trigger in a self defense situation is a major problem. Getting that first shot off with a harder trigger pull is tough to be accurate for many people.

A G26 is going to be very familiar to you and if you carry an extra mag, you can put a G17 or G19 magazine in your pocket that will give you 15-17 rounds after the initial 10 in the gun.
:iagree:
I carry two Glock 26s, one in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster using a Glock 19 mag and Xgrip mag spacer ( http://x-grips.com/products/glock-26-27c/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) so it feels like a short barreled 19 that fits in a front pocket (with the right pants or you can also lengthen the pockets) so with the Glock 19 mag it doesn't "fall over" in the pocket, and you get 15 rounds, or add pearcegrip +3 to a Glock 19 mag and get pocket sized 18 round mag that's shorter than Glock 17's mag

The other 26 I carry IWB with a Glock 17 mag and the Xgrip Mag spacer( http://x-grips.com/products/glock-26-27/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and a +3 mag extension (PearceGrip PG39 https://www.google.com/search?q=PearceG ... 8&oe=utf-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) (so that's 20 in mag +1 chambered)

Of course you could just use the Glock 26 mag for 10 or add the pearcegrip PG39 +3 for 13 rounds plus 1 chambered, I do that if wearing light weight shorts with really small pockets or want lighter weight with less ammo.
Last edited by NotRPB on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jmra

Post by jmra »

NotRPB wrote:
TVGuy wrote:

:iagree:
I carry two Glock 26s, one in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster using a Glock 19 mag and Xgrip mag spacer ( http://x-grips.com/products/glock-26-27c/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) so it feels like a short barreled 19 that fits in a front pocket (with the right pants or you can also lengthen the pockets) so with the Glock 19 mag it doesn't "fall over" in the pocket, and you get 15 rounds, or add pearcegrip +3 to a Glock 19 mag and get pocket sized 18 round mag that's shorter than Glock 17's mag

The other 26 I carry IWB with a Glock 17 mag and the Xgrip Mag spacer( http://x-grips.com/products/glock-26-27/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and a +3 mag extension (PearceGrip PG39 https://www.google.com/search?q=PearceG ... 8&oe=utf-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

Of course you could just use the Glock 26 mag for 10 or add the pearcegrip PG39 +3 for 13 rounds plus 1 chambered
What kind/size pants hold a 26 with a 19 mag in the pocket?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

jmra wrote: What kind/size pants hold a 26 with a 19 mag in the pocket?
Using the Desantis Nemesis Pocket holster,
this time of year./.. Wrangler cargo shorts from WalMart...Wrangler cargo shorts do in front pocket, and that's all that goes there, anything else goes to cargo pocket, other pants pockets or shirt pockets (Guayabera Shirts/cuban wedding shirts and in Winter or for church any Duluth Trading Co pants or jeans with the 12" deep pockets do

Shorter Glock 26 mag lets the gun TILT forward or back in the pocket, the longer Glock 19's 15 round mag keeps grip more or less parallel to the ground when standing... assisting the bottom part of Nemesis holster in keeping it upright. When drawing the holster's bottom hook catches inside of pocket so holster stays in pocket, gun comes out easily.

Front pockets a full 12" deep so things don't fall out... 12" deep side pockets in many pants by Duluth http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/prod ... 86125.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/prod ... or=content" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure other "tactical" clothing places might have deep pocket pants, I tried some that worked, some didn't.

Any place that does alterations can lengthen pockets too.... should not be that hard to lengthen them I bought pocket patches, was going to do it myself, but just bought pants and shorts that fit from Duluth and WalMart:)

RonW956

Post by RonW956 »

My vote would be for a Shield 9 or kahr cw9 in a alien gear cloak tuck 2 IWB holster. On occasions I carry my bodyguard 380 in a desantis niemesis pocket holster. both are very comfortable & functional.

JCole

Post by JCole »

Check out a CZ RAMI...

Constankane

Post by Constankane »

I would love to be able to conceal carry, unfortunately my idea of a defensive firearm is a 12 gauge shotgun. In Texas wearing that long coat in summer is impractical. In the Houston area, winter is just a cooler summer.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”