NFA Trusts and how does it work?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NFA Trusts and how does it work?

Post by JALLEN »

Don't take any of them to California.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott B. »

Wednesdays are the worst, they take the eForms site down for 'weekly maintenance'. Some 5/5's were approved yesterday, so I'm about 10 days out.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

QB

Post by QB »

I just got my Trust and am having it finalized (signed/notarized) Friday by myself and my co-trustee. I'm only buying a couple of suppressors to start with that will be used on some Ruger 10/22s, RAR Predators (.22LR bolt action) and Ruger 22/45 LITEs.

My top four rimfire suppressors choices are:
AAC Element 2
Dead Air Armament Mask22
Spectre II
Axiom (Tactical Solutions)

Leaning towards the first 2 being the AAC Element 2 and Mask 22

I have to check with the dealer to see if buying 2 at one time affects the time it takes to get the stamp approval or not. I don't know if it would be 2 separate submissions or one combined submission but I'll find out.

I was going to wait until I retire to do this but am afraid by then the rules will have changed, making it impossible for me to purchase suppressors so I decided to take the plunge now.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

QB wrote:
I have to check with the dealer to see if buying 2 at one time affects the time it takes to get the stamp approval or not. I don't know if it would be 2 separate submissions or one combined submission but I'll find out.
It will end up being two separate submissions, and while they may even get mailed in together, there is no guarantee that they'll be approved at the same time. However, my experience has been that they typically get approved within a day or so of each other if not the same day.

Good luck on your decision, there are a lot of quality .22 cans out there. Would recommend you make sure to get one (or more) that disassemble easy, are are multi-caliber/full auto rated, and have SS internals or are otherwise able to be cleaned (at least occasionally) via the dip method or ultra-sonic cleaner.

I've currently got a Sparrow and a Spectre II, but I've been eyeing an Axiom recently. Be forewarned they're addictive.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

SC-Texas

Post by SC-Texas »

rentz wrote: The attorney who did my trust told me that there is a process for notifying BATF of any permanent change to the barrel length of a SBR, if the new length is also an SBR length. I forget the details of how, except that it does NOT involve paying another stamp tax.

The key word here is permanent change.

I tell my clients that they can use any length barrel in any caliber as long as they can return the weapon to the configuration on the form 1.

Some clients have requested a letter that can be sent to the ATF notifying them that the weapon may be used in multiple configurations I.e. Calibers and barrel lengths. I have that letter available for my trust clients. It's not super secret or anything. Just lists the multiple barrel lengths and calipers.

SC-Texas

Post by SC-Texas »

[quote]My top four rimfire suppressors choices are:
AAC Element 2
Dead Air Armament Mask22 [\quote]

Definitely go with either the element 2 or the mask. I met a trust client at the addicks range today and let him have a conjugal visit with his element 2. It was impressive.

We shot the element on a buck mark and two ar15s. It sounded great with gemtech subsonic and did well with supersonic bulk pack

The Element 2 sounded as good as his sWR specter at half the weight and less length.

As noted above. This is two submissions. Never know when they will be approved. I have had trust clients have forms that were sent in on the same day approved weeks apart.

SC-Texas

Post by SC-Texas »

misterlarry wrote:Once a person has established a trust, are there any maintenance or renewal fees associated with it or its use? Thanks.
No. It is a private entity. It isn't filed wi the city, county or state governments.

The only agency that gets a copy is the ATF as an attachment to a form 1 or form 4 submission

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I setup a trust this month, Just pulled the trigger on my first .30 cal can and will be submitting the paperwork on Monday.
NRA Life Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Anybody still try to get your CLEO to sign your form 1's & form 4's? I'm out of luck since the Denton County Sheriff won't any more. I have a corporation and an LLC for investment reasons, so I'll use those if I feel like getting any more NFA stuff. Also, I understand the "legal entities" have the advantage of you being able to name multiple responsible parties, but I always kind of liked my picture on my forms.

Also, a side note. I heard Texas changed NFA registration from a "Defense to Prosecution" to no longer an offense if item is registered. Takes effect 9/1.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”